Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel Museum Visits
See Amenities

Uncaring about their guests

by written on September 27, 2009

How could one recommend this hotel to anyone. The management display a lack of concern or care about the well being of it's guests. My wife was waiting with our luggage and was hit from behind, by a bellman pushing his luggage cart. The cart hit her in the middle of her back, splaying her out over our bags as everything was knocked over.

After speaking with the manager on duty later that evening, we filed a "report" with security. All we wanted was for someone in management to call us and check in--to simply say they were sorry it happened and to at least imply that they cared about the well being of my wife. No call or inquiry came. The incident happened upon check-in. One would think that some time within our seven nights at the hotel, the management could have at least left us a note or called. If you're looking looking for indifference from hotel staff, I would highly recommend the Sheraton New York.

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! Stear clear!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 1, 2009

This was the worst hotel stay I have ever had, and I am certainly disappointed given the standard of Sheraton hotels that I have come to expect as a frequent traveler. I arrived in mu room to be greeted by the smell of smoke in this "smoke free" hotel. After informing the front desk, I was told there was nothing that could be done, but they may be able to move me to another room in a couple of days. I visited the drug store a block away and got some Febreeze and opened the window to air out the room. Upon my return, I attempted to adjust the temperature controls, which were broken. I was able to adjust the "fan" speed on the wall unit, but not the temperature itself. Two days later I was provided with a fan, and in the meantime was miserable. Even with the fan, it was still hot enough in the room that I had a great deal of trouble sleeping throughout the stay. Eventually, a call was placed to the manager, who assured me an engineer would be up to take a look at the AC unit promptly...I never saw him. Breakfast was ordered the night before and never received. The manager apologized profusely and informed me that he would clear the room service bill to date (not even the equivalent of one night's cost of a six night stay) and upon preparing to check out, found that this was not done either. Customer service was not in the vocabulary. Repeated commitments were made and never followed through with. There are much better hotels in the area at comparable prices. I ave stayed at the Hampton Inn, the Doubletree...and even the Ritz at Battery Park had comparable pricing, none of which I have ever had such issues with.
Do yourself a favor and explore your options.

Unique Quality: AC doesn't work in rooms. Wireless internet only functions in the lobby. Management makes customer-service commitments they do not follow through on. Miserable stay!

Directions: Corner of 7th and 52nd st

Excellent location

by written on July 31, 2008

Stayed on business for 3 nights here. Rooms were fine, if starting to look a little jaded when you look closely - but I think that's an inevitable feature of any hotel in a location like New York. The lobby was very nice and spacious. Hotel bars were good, and the breakfasts OK (albeit the buffet a bit pricy unless you were planning on loading up).

Location fantastic though, especially for those coming into New York from JFK, and using the subway. The Subway stop for the E line (from the Jamaica station) is RIGHT on the corner next to the hotel. Save yourself the $45 (plus tax) cab ride, and pay just $7 (inc. tax) for the airtrain ($5) and subway ($2).

As others have noted, a great location for Times Square, Central Park, MOMA, Theater District etc. etc. and lots of restaurant choices. I'd be more than happy to stay there again when I next go to NY.

Unique Quality: Location next door to Subway Station

Central Park 0.7 km/0.4 miles
Empire State Building 1.6 km/1.0 miles
Chinatown 6.4 km/4.0 miles
Statue of Liberty 8.1 km/5.0 miles

Directions: Located between Central Park and Times Square in the center of Manhattan's Midtown business and entertainment district.

heryanta's Profile Photo

Small rooms

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 31, 2007

Stayed at this property for 5 nights for Christmas 2007:

Room - poor
It was too small for my taste. It was probably between 220-250sqft. Amenities were good, there was a desk where you can work at, coffee maker in the room and all the required toiletries. The furnitures look rather worn but not a big issue.
Another problem is the thin door, you can hear people in the hallway all the time, and this was a major issue in the morning when the cleaning staff are doing their rounds.

Price - good
for the period Dec 20-26 I paid $199 before tax (came to like $230 after tax) which was the best I could find in Midtown west

Service - ok
It's a large hotel so they have whatever it is you need. Business center, bar, restaurant, etc. I only had a minor issue with checking in. I had back-to-back reservations for two rooms and the lady couldn't understand what I was talking about for a while. When she finally got it she tried for 5-10 minutes checking me in for the same rooms and she couldn't. In the end she asked for help from a colleague. Not a major issue but a bit annoying nevertheless.

Overall - ok
This hotel offers a good value for money when you are considering its location and amenities. However the size of the room is below my requirement for me to be comfortable. I will most likely stay elsewhere during my next visit to New York

Great Location and Room

by written on December 21, 2007

We stayed here Dec 2007 and enjoyed our stay immensely. The reviews of the hotel were less than complimentary but we liked it. I must admit we are Starwood members so we stayed on the 49th floor using our points and had access to the Members Club on the 44th floor where we could hang out have free breakfast and hors d'ouvres in the bar. Free internet was also available here also.

Unique Quality: Members Club
Close to subway entrance
Helpful staff

leplaya's Profile Photo

Sheraton near Times Square and Central Park

by written on May 10, 2007

Located on 7th and 53rd, a few blocks north of Times Square and a few blocks south of Central Park, this hotel is in the center of it all. It has 50 floors and all the amenities that Sheratons come with. It is a very nice hotel. However, with a cost of over $300 a night for the small, lower level double rooms, you don’t seem to get your money’s worth. The rooms are small and generic. Cable TV is available (though our remote control was broken). Internet is available at $15 a day. I’d suggest looking at independent hotels around the area. For the same price, you’ll get something more unique.

Unique Quality: Nothing too unique, although the upper level "club" rooms may be nice (but expensive).

Directions: 53rd St. and 7th Ave.

Cramped, narrow room in dingy colors, contentious

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 3, 2007

The Sheraton was THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTING! The supposedly "recently redecorated" room and corridor sported a monocolor, gravy-yellow paint job, an ill-fitting bathroom counter, and drafty windows that could not be adjusted. The first room I got had broken controls for the temperature, and the desk clerk was indignant and obviously disgusted by my coming back back and asking nicely for a different room. The rooms are extraordinarily cramped and jarringly narrow, such that the TV was placed on an angle on a side dresser in order to fit at all (crowding out access to the cheezy coffee service) and from that weird angle it nicely reflected the bedside lamp into the middle of the screen, spoiling the picture. The "desk" was merely a ledge next to the window, also embedding the heating unit! The desk lamp was positioned to shine directly on the face on my computer, and Internet access was $15/day -- this is $5 more than many other hotels with delusions of high style, and $15 more than many hotels that nowadays provide Internet at no extra charge. But while I was catching up on work at my "shelf", at least I had a wonderful view of the formless office building and steaming hotel service plant looming over me. IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE "SHERATON" NAME OVER THE DOOR, THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS DUMP WOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY HONEST JUDGES OF HOTEL QUALITY.

Unique Quality: Unusually cramped for a "name" NYC hotel

Directions: Times Square area

xstacey's Profile Photo

Huge Hotel

by written on July 10, 2006

Hustle and butsle. This is a very busy hotel. Lines always seem to be at the desk but they move relatively fast.

Rooms are pretty average. Sweet sleeper beds are nice. Hallways by the guestrooms could use a bit of a cleaning.

Unique Quality: Here the Sheraton New York and Sheraton Manhatten are across the street from each other. Between the two of them, there are hundreds and hundreds of rooms. They even have their systems linked together so if you go to the Towers when you had your reservation at manhatten they'll give you a room there (as long as there's availability) so you don't have to move your car or drag your luggage to the other side of the street.

Directions: Mid town

traveling_girl_13's Profile Photo

AMAZING

by written on May 24, 2006

A few friends from work and I went to New York City over the weekend. Our one friend used to work there, and her husband and step-son still do. We got a huge discount, and I am not exactly sure how much it costs per night. It was amazing; one of the best places I have ever stayed at. I should mention that I never stay at places like this, nor have I ever stayed in NYC. I live so close, I never have to stay.

Unique Quality: Thanks to our friend, we were sent wine, beer, sodas, fine cheese plater, and assorted snacks, free of charge. The room service was amazing. And the beds... pure luxury. They are specialy made beds and bedding just for select Sheraton Hotels. I was sleeping on a cloud, 35 stories up in the NYC sky. We also got complementry buffet style breakfast from the amazing chef. I could have stayed and ate all day. Yum!

Directions: Midtown, by Time Square

jetset05's Profile Photo

comfort in midtown

by written on July 26, 2005

we had a great stay at this hotel the rooms were warm clean and very modern.
The beds were the most comfortable of any hotel i have ever slept in .

Unique Quality: the hotel has great views from the higher floors.
The hotel also has a few good places to eat, a gym and a selection of shops.

Directions: this is a midtown hotel situated on 7th ave five minutes walk down to times square in the other direction about the same to central park. two blocks to 5th ave and the rockerfella center.There are also lots of great places to eat in this area..

Fantastic location

by written on July 8, 2005

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in the Sheraton Towers, we were not disappointed at all, the room was quite small, but clean and very comfortable, this is what I would expect from a major city hotel.

The big plus is the location of this hotel, you are close to absolutely every major attraction, we only used the underground once, and walked everywhere. If you are thinking about booking this hotel, then have no hesitation, go ahead and book.

We didn't use any of the hotel facilities, as there were so many places close by to eat. I would totally reccomend the Irish pub just a short walk up the road as you come out of the hotels main entrance and the Oyster Bar which is facing the Irish pub does a tremendous meal, I had the mussels then the sea bass and I could not fault it. Breakfast is great at a place which is open 24 hours, it is on the opposite corner of the hotel, so diagonally across, sorry cannot remember the name of it, but it was great, and quiet early morning, so this meant you could eat quickly and be on your way for the day.
We did a helicopter flight for 7 mins down the Hudson, this was a great way to see Manhattan, and you get really close to the statue of liberty.
We also went up the Empire State at dusk, which was great and less queues, but we purchased our tickets on line which also save some time, as you miss the ticket queue out.

travelteacher's Profile Photo

A "Sweet" Sleep

by written on March 20, 2005

A few years ago, this was the first Sheraton where I enjoyed the Sweet Sleeper Bed. Since then, I have returned to stay almost every time I visit NYC. The staff is great, and they are always willing to go out of their way to make the stay awesome. Three of the times I've stayed here, I've had an early morning check in, and only once did I have to wait to get a room.

Unique Quality: There can be some great views if your room is on the Broadway facing side of the building. (Last time I was upgraded to an executive room, but there was absolutely no view.) They have an excellent fitness center, but you are visible from the street.

ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

A quality Sheraton hotel...

by written on May 19, 2004

My fiance and I stayed in the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers while having a brief visit in May 2004. I am a Starwood Preferred Platinum member, so I do stay quite frequently in Sheratons, and this one definitely did not disappoint! It has a very convienent Manhattan location, is very close to several posh to gnosh delis, and was close enough to Carnegie Hall and Radio City Music Hall that make sightseeing very possible.

Unique Quality: As most of you that have stayed in the Sheraton line have experienced, the "Sweet Sleeper" bed is a worthy reason enough to pay a Sheraton price!

Location, Location, Location.... this is in a wonderful location for sightseeing Manhattan.

I would recommend this site.

Directions: Corner of 55th and 7th Ave.

Nearby Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers

Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers

• Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers
  • Sheraton New York City
  • Sheraton Hotel New York
  • Sheraton New York Towers
  • New York City Sheraton

Address: 811 7th Avenue on 53rd Street, New York City, New York, 10019, United States

7 Photos of Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Hotel Pennsylvania
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 59 Reviews
Conrad New York
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews