Shoreham Hotel

Shoreham
Expedia.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Good location. Horrible service. Really bad value.

I traveled to New York City for business during July 2012 and stayed at the Shoreham. The staff was very unprofessional. We arrived as a group and it took them over an hour to check us all in despite having our credit card details and reservations prior to arrival. The rooms were average and really below my expectations for a hotel of that rating in New York. For example, there was a huge amount of noise in our room from the elevator and cleaning staff. Also, the amenities were really below average. Fro example the blow dryer in the room would over heat and break after ~2 minutes of running. When we asked for another the exact same thing happened. In the end we had 4 non-functional blow dryers and wet hair which was completely unacceptable given I had to attend business meetings. Lastly, upon check out I paid for all fees and charges. However 2 weeks later the hotel charged my credit card without any communication to me, without providing an invoice and without asking for my authorization. After several emails and phone calls I have still not received a reply from the hotel staff and I now am considering this credit card fraud.

In a city with a multitude of good hotel options absolutely do not stay here. You can find a better room with much better service and avoid unauthorized credit card charges.

Unique Quality: The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the great location.

Directions: 5th Ave.

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Good price for a great location

I have stayed at the Shoreham twice. Both were last minute bookings and the prices were very reasonable compared to other hotels of similar class. This is an older hotel that was renovated in the past several years. The result is tiny rooms and bathrooms (common of older hotels) that have been hip-i-fied, so to speak, with hip/modern amenities. I'd describe the Shoreham as a poor man's W, complete with a stylish bar/restaurant on the ground floor or, perhaps because of the size of the rooms, it might be better to describe it as a W in miniature. I should note that I may have gotten tiny rooms as the result of my very good rates. I should also add that, even though the rooms were tiny, they suited my needs perfectly.

The Shoreham's location is the real winner - a few blocks from Central Park on 55th St., between 5th and 6th Avenues. It's a couple doors down from two of the city's finest hotels: The Peninsula and St. Regis, so you you can pay 1/10th the price of these grand dame's, and walk over for a drink when you want to experience the posh life.

Unique Quality: Very good location.

• anees's Profile Photo

Best Location for me, 55 st, between fifth, sixth

I stayed 10 nights in this wonderful hotel, I was so much confertable staying, being easy to go from and to during the day. Central locatoin, the modern style of the enterance, restaurant, and the rooms gave me the nice feeling of being happy. The wireless free internet service was so good. the staff need to be nicer but I can say they were good enough. the Shower was small but the water pressure was as you were under waterfall, the room and the bath so clean. i strongly recommend it.

Directions: 55 streeet, between fifth and sixth avenues. close to every single interesting site in the mid town New York

• RawdgerDodger's Profile Photo

Beautiful Rooms at the right price

I stayed here on the 3rd of July. The room was great. I got a king size bed and my own bathroom. It cost me $170 for everything including tax for the night which I thought was pretty good. The hotel located in downtown Manhatten was right next to the famous 5th avenue shopping district at 55th street. There was also a nice bar in the hotel and a free thousand dollar coffee mashine. I must have drank about four cappucinos and four lattes during my 1 night stay. Times Square was an easy fifteen minute walk away. If you only have one night to stay in New York, this is a modest upscale place to stay.

Unique Quality: The Coffee mashine was great! The bed was very comfortable.

Directions: This hotel is located near 55th street and 5th avenue just south of the park.

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

Great Boutique New York Hotel

Nice swanky, hip, boutique hotel centrally located on 55th between 5th and 6th. Excellent, friendly staff. A cool little bar / lounge, good workout facility.

Unique Quality: Small, but comfortable rooms. Quality beds. An insane shower that was described by my coworker as like a waterfall; and not like a little waterfall, but more like Niagara. This shower is seriously something to be experienced.

More about Shoreham Hotel

Absolutely wonderful experience!

by TripAdvisor Member mike02155

I booked through Priceline (~$230/night including taxes) for Oct.22-24. When I found out it was the Shoreham, I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor and got a little worried, because a considerable number of them were negative--especially the ones mentioning Priceline. (Maybe the hotel was treating its Priceline customers differently?

When we got to the hotel, all my fears were disspelled. Right away we started seeing little touches of elegance that foretold the great experience in store for us. The hotel facade has a sleek, modern look, with colorful lights spelling out the name. We were met at the curb by a bellhop with a luggage trolley. There were glasses of champagne available behind the front desk. The lobby is filled with interesting modern art and cool art-deco lighting. The staff were very professional and polished during our whole stay.

I asked for a room in the "new building" (because of the Tripadvisor reviews), and the request was accommodated without question. We accidentally went up in the "old building" elevator so got a chance to see the hallways of the old building first--they looked a little ratty. When we finally made our way to the new building, the contrast was obvious--things looked much sharper and newer.

Our room (#717) was very clean and cozy, with a very big comfortable bed with luxurious puffy bedding. The bathroom was small but wisely allocated half its space to a nice big shower (with a mirror for a rear wall--nice touch). The room service menu was extensive and innovative (and reasonably priced), and the food was delicious. Example: "three mini-hamburgers on brioche" (came with french fries and mini bottles of Heinz ketchup). There was also a snazzy-looking bar on the lobby floor. All the other guests we saw going about seemed very happy with the place.

The housekeeping staff did a great job. The front desk was happy to hold our baggage for us after we checked out (they gave us ticket stubs to reclaim it). And needless to say, the location is second-to-none.

Overall, our stay at the Shoreham was an absolute delight. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd also encourage people to ask for a room in the "new building". (This is on the left as you face the hotel facade--it's accessed by the left elevator and has the room numbers ending in 10 or higher.)

My only two notes of criticism: (1) The parking garage a few doors before the hotel has a sign saying "Validated parking for Shoreham Hotel." We found out only at check-out time that in this case "validated parking" means you pay $45/night instead of $50/night. (2) Even though our room was attractive and cozy, the walls were bare--they cried out for some framed prints.

Excellent hotel

I spent one night at the Shoreham. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean with modern decor. The location was ideal - easy walking distance to Times Square or Central Park. Would stay again.

Best deal in Town

We stayed at the Shoreham from november 11th till november 15th. I compared severall prices and got the perfectly located Shoreham at a very good price. Especially considering the travel periode and location. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I must say I was a bit worried. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. My friends got a room in the new wing and we got one in the old wing. At first I thought our room was in the new wing because everything looked clean and the room had a modern decor. I only realised that my friens were in the new wing when I brought something to them. I must say, that although the hallways in the new wing have more light, our room in the old wing was very comfortable and clean. I usually stay in bigger hotels like the Waldorf and I can say that the shoreham was not less comfortable. I certainly would go back for the same low rate, 218$ via the hotels website.

would stay again

recently stayed at the shoreham. got rooms thru priceline. very nice hotel. staff very courteous and accommodating. for nyc, rooms were spacious and had plently of daylight, though no views. beds were firm, i got up each day refreshed. shower pressure excellent. cedar closet and fridge were nice touches. location perfect between 5th and 6th aves. easy walk to theatre district. two long blocks to popular delis (ben ash, stage, and carnegie).
short walk to rockefeller center. 4 blocks to run in central park. would stay again.

Better than expected

Stayed at The Shoreham 10/15/04-10/17/04. This was my first trip to NYC, so i was a bit worried about finding a decent hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by The Shoreham...

The Good:
-Rooms on the renovated side of the hotel. Nicely decorated, up-to-date bathrooms.

-Location. Between 5th & 6th on 55th was convenient to Central Park, 5th Ave, and not that far from times square

-Front desk personel. They were very friendly and accomodating. They helped out with getting some family members moved to another room, helped out with some early check-ins for us, and gave me late check-out. Didnt give us a hard time about any of these things.

-Free cappucino machine. I thought this would be a joke, but when you're going full speed in NYC for a weekend, its nice to have free good-tasting caffeine waiting for you in the lobby.

-Free Internet access in the lobby. Also thought i wouldnt use this, but i needed to get online, and it was nice to have the option.

-overall ambience. The Hotel is nicely appointed, with silver coloring and good music playing in the elevators. Its got style.

The Bad:
-The unrenovated rooms' bathrooms. Saw one of these rooms, and it was scary. Definitely ask for a room on the renovated side of the hotel.

-Noisy on the old side of the hotel. I dont think its well insulated. This was not a problem on the renovated side.

-Rooms are tiny. I think this is a NY thing. It also depends on the room you have. Ours had some of the square footage taken up by a useless hallway, others did not.

Overall, i was very happy to get a nice, new room at a reasonable (for NY) price. Definitely would stay at The Shoreham again if they could lock me into a renovated room at reservation time.

Long Island

by NolZik

"Shoreham"

a nice private beach along the Atlantic... a place called Shoreham. One of the best times I spent there was in 1998 visiting my relatives...

Something Clean & Safe

by nino224

Looking for a clean, rat and bedbug-free room in Manhattan for four nights in mid March. I've read the horror stories about some of the hostels on the upper west side. I don't need luxury or even a private bathroom. I just want something sans rats and bugs close to the subway.

Thanks!

by vtveen

Try Chelsea Lodge: http://www.chelsealodge.com/index.html

We were absolutely satisfied with our stay.

Thanks!

by FrenchyLu

Take a look at these places:

Or you can also check out the short tern stay apartment rentals on Craigslist, they tend to be pretty reliable:

Enjoy your trip!

by dino335

Also try Hotel 17, Hotel 31 and New York Inns (Union Square and Murray Hill)

Thanks, guys!