725 10th Avenue, At 49th Street, New York City, New York, 10019, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• lynmur's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel

We had a very comfortable stay in the Skyline, while its not right in the heart of downtown Manhattan its only a 5-10 minute walk from Times Square or Central Park. We would definately use this hotel again.

Unique Quality: Has a swimming pool and fitness centre. We got a good deal booking through Expedia for this hotel.

Directions: Hells Kitchen Area

• A really mixed bag

First the positives, the room and lobby were clean and comfortable, location is convenient enough and reasonably priced (but only for New York!). Down side? Not much noise from outside, but thin ceilings, floors and walls carried every single sound from inside, making it very noisy for every night of my four night stay. Also had problems with receiving international phone calls and reception staff who frankly couldn't give a damn about their faulty switchboard. I had to call out instead (much more expensive). No hot water on my last day meant no freshening up shower before my long distance flight. No 'extra' amenities like minibar or coffee making facilities, poor signal on the TV, I'm afraid the Skyline won't be seeing me again.

Unique Quality: Hmmmm, none.

Directions: West Side

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

EXCELLENT HOTEL......

This hotel is perfectly situated near an Underground station and near shops.

There are ice machines on each floor and the more you sleep in one room, the cheaper it is.

We were with our Art History Group from The University of Leiden, so we all knew each other and so sharing rooms was no problem at all.

We slept 4 iin a room but......there were two wide beds, not 4 beds, one for each of us....
    but again, it didn't matter, we slept fine....

Having breakfast there was far too expensive and we only had to cross the road to have breakfast at a nice Deli.......and did aso each day!
    The beds were OK and everything was clean and staff friendly.

Unique Quality: it was just OK.....

Directions: see city map....

More about Skyline Hotel

the skyline new york not the best but good value

by TripAdvisor Member daytriplad

found the skyline good value stayed 8 days over new year the beds are hard thou ..rooms are kept clean the swimming pool is open very strange hours but what a view of the skyscrappers from its tenth floor location. the hotel is a bit out the way but on two bus routes across and uptown .very easy too use and cheap 7 day pass 21 dollars for subway and busses [a metro card ]important tip you can get too airport[jfk] for 7 dollars if you use the subway too howard jonson [blue line A]ask for a leaflet at subways instead of approx 65 dollars in a taxi ...the subway is very easy too use and safe but be streetwise blend in be a local .....i reccommend munsonns dinner just down the side off the hotel 1 block a real true u s dinner with all the trimmings happy travels ,

Fantastic stay

Stayed in the Skyline Hotel for 5 nights over New Years Eve. Arrived to find that we had been upgraded to a junior suite free of charge, which was a nice surprise. The room was beautiful and the beds were so comfy!
The guy on concierge was always very helpful with any questions we had.
Very much recommend a stay here.

Excellent location

Stayed for 4 nights in the Skyline hotel. The check in was short and sweet and the desk staff were very friendly. When we arrived at our room on the 5th floor we were pleasantly surprised at the spaciousness of the room, after having done an extensive search on the internet for NYC Hotels and finding out that most rooms in NYC hotels are tiny. Our friends were allocated a room which you could literally have held a dance in, complete with 3 piece suite , fridge and monster size TV. I had to admit I was feeling a bit envious that we had not been allocated their room :-) The hotel was very clean and rooms very warm, which was greatly appreciated as the weather was freezing from 20th - 24th October. It was only a short walk to Empire state building etc. and plenty of restaurants in the vicinity. I must admit I wondered why it was called the Skyline Hotel when I arrived there as there are only 5 floors on one block and 9 floors on the other block. The night before we left we took the lift to the 9th Floor and it was amazing to see the New York Skyline.....a must to do if you ever book this hotel. I have recommended this hotel to my friends and I would certainly book this again when I return to NYC. Overall it was a great ending to a wonderful 3 week vacation in the USA. As Arnie says " A'll be back"

Christmas 2003 Vacation

Our Christmas 2003 vacation was excellent due to the value and comfort while staying at the Skyline. The room was very nice and clean. The price was excellent for New York and have referred it to my friends who are planning a trip to New York. The staff was most accomodating and helpful. The deli, pizza, and chinese resturants across the street served delicious and fresh meals at very economical prices. I highly recommend them over the resturants for quality and price. The neighborhood was very quiet and safe. Would recommend it for all families. Excellent location. The bus stops on the corner which makes transportation no problem. Definetly by the metro card. The only thing I suggest they add are alarm clocks in the rooms and availability to a microwave.

Would stay here again.

by TripAdvisor Member StarshipUK

During my first trip to America, after spending a couple of nights in Poughkeepsie, I spent a three nights here in NYC (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) during the first week of November 2003.

The check-in was quick and easy, although I did not have much contact with the staff here. I booked a room using the hotels Internet Website for single occupancy. The room was located near the lift on a lower floor, overlooking a parking lot torwards the hudson river. The room and bathroom was smaller then any other hotel I stayed at during my trip (Smaller than a UK Travel Inn/Travel Lodge room), but that does not matter to me- There is so much to do in New York, I did not stay in the room much and I was paying for a single room after all! As long as there is a TV, Private Bathroom, Bed and the room is clean and hygenic I am happy. The hotel was the cheapest I could find versus a reasonable quality, and in a good location for me. It was within walking distance of Broadway/Times Square and the excellent cheap NY Subway Network and plenty of those useful empty yellow taxis passed by the hotel. Also opposite shops and a dehli which done nice toasted cheese rolls and tubs of ice cream!

If I return to New York, I would stay here again, if the price is the same as before, but would also first look at the prices and reviews for other hotels in the area. I also would go here on Vacation during a different time of year. It was cold and rained in New York during most of my stay during early November.

A great place for an affordable NYC trip

Great location, cheap parking, HUGE room for NYC, and affordable rates.
I had little contact with the staff (one of my travel mates checked us in and out) but everyone seemed pleasant enough. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms and it was quite nice. I never checked out the pool but it's kind of a rarity for an affordable hotel in New York; I'm sure kids would dig it... Lots of great restaurants within easy walking distance; we got great breakfasts every morning at the Galaxy Cafe on 9th, just a few blocks away, and for a bit of a splurge, check out Hells Kitchen--great Chicken Mole. I am planning another trip to New York for this year and will be staying at the Skyline again for sure.

MANHATTAN SKYLINE NEW YORK

by ROCKARIA

"Manhattan less twin towers"

There is no way one can get lost in NEW YORK Manhattan cause the streets are designed in grid form with Avenues running vertical and streets running Horizontal to it....say you are in 33rd street and need to go to 35th street one will know which direction one have to go!...easy isint it!

Skyline New YorkSkyline New York

New York SkylineNew York Skyline

Skyline NYC.Skyline NYC.

New York SkylineNew York Skyline

NY Hotels

by Judio

Has anyone heard of the Skyline Hotel - think it is on 10th? The site looks OK - however I cannot find any comments anywhere.

by zuriga

If you Google, you'll find some interesting comments that might help out... Frommer's makes it sound very nice indeed. I've passed there many times but can't say I know the hotel. It's not a long walk down 49th to the midtown area.

RE: RE: NY Hotels

by cruisingbug

Looks like no one has reviewed this one yet for VT
I suggest going to tripadvisor as an alternative - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93345-Reviews-Skyline_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

by planomike

We have stayed there each time we've visited NY. The rooms are nice, the location is great, and the price was very reasonable. You're within walking distance of the theatre district, Rockefeller Center, subway stations, etc. We stay there whenever we go to NY.

by Judio

OK thanks for all of this. I guess we may take the punt and try it!

by midgetmama

I stayed there for my first trip to New York, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially since everyone told me all rooms are tiny. At the Skyline I had plenty of room to walk around, no wall-to-wall bed. The bathroom was nice as well, everything was clean, the bellmen were very friendly and helpful, but the front desk staff was completely unorganized, rude, and confused the majority of the time. And they gave my room number to a waiter in the adjoining restaurant, so I spent my entire trip with the phone off the hook as he called every few minutes. The area was good, mostly residential, but I never felt unsafe.

Comments