Solita Soho Hotel-Clarion Collection

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Rated 11% higher but also costs 44% more than other 2 star hotels

More about Solita Soho Hotel-Clarion Collection

A ver y pleasant stay

A small but clean and friendly hotel. Outstanding and courteus staff. Located in an area that is close to trains and major tourists' attractions. Be sure that your taxi driver knows the area, otherwise, you will be given them driving directions. We will not hesitate to return to the Solita Soho each time that we fly to New York.

Clean, Inexpesive, Well-located

by TripAdvisor Member gobob

The Solita is a great hotel if you want to avoid midtown tourist crowds and high prices. My wife and I, along with my sister, split a room on the fifth floor with two double beds, facing Grand St. The rooms are small (I would not add a 4th adult), but are clean and well-appointed. The beds are also very comfortable, and the double-headed shower is very soothing. A bit of noise reaches the room from the streets below, but it is nothing out of the ordinary if you are used to living in a city. As far as location, I don't believe I have ever stayed in a better one in the City. I often stay at the Millenium Hilton near the WTC site because of its great rooms and rates, but the trade off is a remote location. The Solita is two blocks from Mulberry St. in Little Italy, and you can walk to the best bars and restaurants on the LES and in Soho within 15 mins. The best pub in NYC, Puck Fair, is a three-minute stumble away at the corner of Layfayette & Houston. Finally, the B-D-F-V-N-R-W-6 trains are all within a five minute walk as well. Highly recommended if you are looking for something affordable below midtown.

Not good -- much worse opinion than other reviewers

by TripAdvisor Member photourist

We just stayed at the Solita for three days. Our experience was poor. We were visiting family over Thanksgiving weekend.

Ok, the room was tiny (just big enough to fit two full, not queen beds) -- we knew that ahead of time. The closet sits in the room next to the desk taking up the small amount of remaining space. But I can deal with small -- it's NYC. And, the room was clean, also not a given in the city.

But they are trying to be something they are not. They have put in all these "touches" that have the same style as actual nice hotels, but with none of the substance or care. The fancy sink faucet hits your head as you try to wash your face. The faucet housing actually came unscrewed at first use -- I screwed it in by hand. There were two shower heads, but when anyone else in the building uses water that cheapo pressure-balancing shower valve created this vibrating banging that woke me up and probably everyone else in the hotel; you have to shut off the water and turn it on again to restore calm for a few moments. All the fixtures were akimbo. So, all the touches with none of the actual care.

Maid service failed to leave soap on our second day (we ran out) or replace the toilet paper. Oops!

The mattresses were nice, and the linens and especially the pillows (my hotel pet peeve) were quite nice. However the duvet cover was so heavy that my wife and I *roasted* in the bed. There was no insulation on the windows (and it was cold) so cold drafts came in. The heating unit would come on loudly every half-hour. So you were either freezing or roasting. So bottom line: we got only interrupted sleep during our stay. So all the nice linens in the world don't make up for this. No attention to detail.

The lobby had the swanky lighting of boutique hotels, except it was just a front desk and elevator. There were no valets, bellhops or anything, not even a reasonable place to park the car while unloading. The location is Chinatown -- there is nothing within a block or two in any direction of interest. It's not a bad neighborhood, but certainly not scenic. No drinks at the Solita -- no bar, no restaurant, no room service, no nothing. And nothing near, really. The guy at the front desk couldn't even give me directions on where to park. Window dressing; no substance.

We have stayed in a range of hotels, from lousy (that is, with bugs :-), to really upscale. For an somewhat lower price a few years ago we stayed a few blocks west of Times Square in a cool hotel. The room was small and nothing special, but the hotel lobby was a great place to relax and have a drink. And we did get a good night's sleep there. Not at the Solita.

And this place is no bargain. We paid, after taxes, $300 per night. Hell, we stayed at the "W" in Union Square for our anniversary -- that was a wildly better hotel in all respects, and paid a little more than $400 per night for a huge room with all the amenities. Yes more, but an order of magnitude better.

I really think you can do better than this hotel for the money, and you can also get the same actual amenities elsewhere (and maybe even a good night's rest) at scores of other hotels.

The most comfortable beds in the world!

Situated in China Town my first impressions of the area weren't great, especially given the price tag that came with the room, while the hotel itself looked very inviting and clean there was a building site accross the street and streets bore more than a striking resemblance to Soho in London. Once inside our room though it was a different matter, plazma screen tv adorned the wall and a double headed shower in the bathroom was a really nice touch. My friend and I shared a twin room which had quite simply the most confortable beds in the world with 4 big soft pillows each. While the room was rather on the small side it had everything we could want in there.

The staff were a little 'New York' with their approach to customer service but were very helpful if you asked for something specific, recommending places to eat for us and helping us with the trains etc.

The location of the hotel was dissapointing to me at first but it was soon very apparent that we had the best positioned hotel in New York, not only were we one block away from all the shops on Broadway, but also close to the fashionable Greenwich and Chelsea areas and in the best place ever for chinese or Italian food! The other thing we found with the location was that after going into midtown Manhatten and shopping til we fell over it was easy to get a cab back to Soho as the streets were mostly clear and a far cry from the total gridlock (and noise) which you would have to encounter if you were staying in Time Square for instance.

I would fiercely recommend this hotel to anyone going to New York and would stay there again if I went back.

Great hotel for a short break

by TripAdvisor Member MacyLondon

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for a christmas shopping break with my boyfriend. The best thing about the hotel is its location (it's actually in Little Italy rather than Chinatown, and it's about a 2 minute walk from Soho). The room was fine - clean, modern, nice bed, nice TV... and no smaller than the average new york hotel room. The only drawback is that the hotel offers no additional amenities (e.g. restaurant, bar or gym) but that didn't bother us at all. One other thing - the heater in the room isn't ideal. It makes a noise (so you can't leave it on during the night). But we had no serious complaints, and it's a lot cheaper than other good downtown hotels like the Soho grand.

Just Say NO

by TripAdvisor Member drdev40

There are much better options than this hotel in this price range. They charged us for an extra room and four months later we are still dealing with it. The hotel manager is rude and nasty. The rooms are cramped, even by NY standards and the airconditioner sounds like a truck engine. You would do better to spend the extra money and stay at the Grand or, if you are on a budget, The Holiday Inn in the East Village, at least they treat you like a guest instead of an intruder.

Great Location and Nice Hotel

While the hotel and rooms are small, I really enjoyed my stay. I was there the weekend before Christmas with one of my friends. The staff was able to give me an early check-in and the room was what I had reserved. I accidentally interrupted the person setting up my room, but he was really nice. I think the rooms could use a coat rack on the one wall they have the TV on.

The bathroom was a good size - something that's needed when two women are staying in the room! A little short on counter space, but with a little creativity, it was fine.

As a former business traveler, I've slept on a lot of hotel beds. These were some of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

The neighborhood was safe and quiet. Nothing like staying in the noise of times square or midtown. There is a huge police station across the street. It was two blocks from the subway, two or three blocks from SoHo, and not too difficult to find a cab when needed. There was also a cute little bar around the corner on Lafayette that was great too. The people were really friendly and it was reasonably priced (hard to believe in NYC I know).

Not worth it!

I have to agree, the rooms are way too small and the manager is quite nasty. I have a billing problem where they charge me for an extra room (seems to be a common problem) and I have yet to resolve it. There are much better choices in NYC, so definitely look for them. This hotel is not worth the money!

Terrible place

by TripAdvisor Member aafraz

I was down in NYC for a work meeting and my assistant put me down there. After staying there for one night, I have to say "stay away from this place!". The rooms are extremely small. Also, when I was there my toilet was leaking and there was water everywhere in the bathroom.
Customer service is also poor and there is no lobby to speak of. Also, the location of the hotel sucks! Its in the middle of Chinatown with no points of interest in the neighbouring couple blocks.
Conclusion: If you are gonna be paying close to $200 / night - why not stay at a better place?

Noise from new restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member johnshen65

Choose this as thought it was away from the noise of Times Square. However, a new restaurant around the corner, 157 Lafayette apparently opened up. It is more of a club with a live DJ playing loud music through the night. Complained but management couldnt do anything. Make sure you dont get a room facing the back or you will need ear plugs to sleep.

Otherwise it is a nice small room.

Comments