Sugar Hill Harlem Inn New York

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Sugar Hill Harlem Inn New York

An oasis!

by TripAdvisor Member AnneMarieIthaca_NY

I cannot say enough nice things about the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn and its owners/managers, Jeremy and Bernadette. I stayed at the SHHI's brand new outpost, in a renovated brownstone about 5 blocks from its main B&B, and it was warm and welcoming. A shared kitchen downstairs was accessible and convenient, while my room was spotlessly clean, tastefully decorated, and felt like a personal oasis. But it was the service that really makes this place stand out. Not only did Jeremy personally hook-up a DVD player in my room and allow me to borrow a cell phone for the duration of my visit, but when I had my wallet stolen on my first night (not in Harlem, I should mention, but 59th & Lex!), he generously came to my rescue. He offered me enough cash to enable me to enjoy my stay in the city, and trusted that I would indeed pay him back as soon as I could access funds. You can't get that in a hotel! The breakfast, courtesy Bernadette, was lovely, and the relaxed, friendly vibe in the main room was shared by everyone from fellow guests to the sassy grey cat. As promised, the subway stop was convenient and the express train fast. As a single woman, furthermore, I felt safe and comfortable in the neighborhood. I can't wait to go back.

Horrible Non Professionalism

by TripAdvisor Member TravelSarahH

I tried to book by phone, but after the person confirmed that the dates were fine they asked me to book online. So when I booked online I immediately got a confirmation that I was confirmed and my credit card was charged. Later that day, I got an email saying I couldn't have the room because at that time of year they could likely rent it for a longer period of time - despite the fact that there was no minimum stay on the site as so many other b&b's provide. There was no mention of my deposit and how I'd get it back. I found it extraordinarily unprofessional and fraudulent that they'd take my money then decide they wanted to wait for a better offer. So I'm not staying there.

Terrific!

by TripAdvisor Member JeanieBoston

Like many travellers, we wanted to find a good and reasonable accomodations in NYC not too far away from the sites. So many of the hotels in midtown, village, etc. were tiny and, in our price range, not so great. The Sugar Hill Inn of Harlem is worth its weight in gold! A mere five or so blocks from the 145th A Train stop in a lovely neighborhood of brownstones and the City College, we had a fabulous stay at this B&B. Jeremy and Bernadette provide a friendly, informative and comfortable stay. We stayed in the Satchmo room, air-conditioned, a fireplace, deck, king sized bed, and private bathroom, and basically felt like the luckiest tourists! The express A train takes 15 minutes to travel its 3 stops to 42nd, and was very safe. All this, plus Jeremy is committed to doing everything he can to function in an environmentally responsible manner. Many thanks to Jeremy and Bernadette for a memorable and easy-going stay. We loved it! The only caveat is that we had a very, very poor service at a restaurant close to this Inn named the Baton Rouge. Maybe it was a one-off, but we were served wine that had gone off, waited over 15 minutes to get menus, had a round robin of wait staff, got served cold food after a long wait, etc. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Inn itself, but it's a closeby restaurant.

Delightful house

by TripAdvisor Member Ge0rdielass

Very relaxing stay in delightfully restored period property in Harlem. The room was a great size, lovely antique furniture with modern bathroom and small kitchen. Almost like having an apartment.

The owner, Jeremy, is a great laid back guy and very helpful. Nice toast!

Would definitely stay here again.

Unsanitary, Unprofessional & Fraudulent

by TripAdvisor Member americangigolo

After receiving an unfriendly reception by the housekeeper upon arrival, we were forced to park our car in this unsafe part of the city (Harlem), because there was no parking on the property as advertised on several websites.

Upon returning from parking our car 5 blocks from the property on a very roudy street, we attempted to enter our room, but had difficulty with the door. It didn't open properly and the housekeeper had to come out and show us the trick on "how" to force the door open, while making us feel we were being a nuisance.

After having driven for so long, I was anxiously anticipating to take a shower and we were unable to do so after learning that the shower had not been cleaned with evident soap scum along the base of the tub and mounds of hair surrounding the drain. When I tried to wash the tub, it was also revealed that the drain didn't flush well at all.

It was also evident that the room had not been vacuumed at all with bits of dust on the carpet and hair (that was not ours) along the floor. This is absolutely unacceptable!!!

Also, the fridge and the counter in the kitchenette were dirty, and the kitchen supplies (sponges) had not been replaced with new ones. The air conditioner was uncomfortably loud and made it difficult to sleep.

When we decided to leave the next morning after having reserved a 4-night stay, the Innkeeper told us that we were going to have to pay for the entire 4 nights even though we only stayed there 1 night. We refused to do so, and were harassed and bullied into paying for the entire 4 nights. I was almost physically assaulted when we refused and we were told we could not leave until we paid. I don't recommend this property to anyone if they value peace of mind.

Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member sammyb

We decided we wanted to try something different while on vacation in NYC and after much research Sugar Hill seem to fit our requirements. We had never stayed at a B&B and really didn't know what to expect. The web site looked really great with a lot of detail and photos in addition to speaking with Jeremy via email and over the telephone made us feel as ease with the B&B concept. We arrived to find a quiet neighborhood surrounding a beautiful brownstone. The inn keeper Ms. Bernadette was there to greet us and show us to our beautiful room. We choose the Satchmo room named after New Orleans born Louis Armstrong and what a wonderful room it is. We got lost in the huge king size comfortable bed each evening. Nicely decorated room with antiques and hard wood floors. Big bathroom with separate shower and tub, fridge and microwave as well as bath robs available. The Satchmo room also has a large outdoor deck that I used to meditate and catch up with family at home each morning. The added plus is the inn keeper Ms. Bernadette who went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. She truly spoiled us and we missed her greatly when it was time to leave. Jeremy the owner is extremely knowledgeable about NYC and things in general and was most helpful as well. Breakfast was prepared each morning, from pancakes, eggs and even quiche on our final morning all with the freshest ingredients as well as fresh fruit, milk, tea, coffee and juice. There is a computer onsite that you may use free of charge and also a coined laundry facility. Our biggest concern with a B&B was lack of privacy... that was never a problem for us while at Sugar Hill. Ms. Bernadette and Jeremy are there if you need them but were never intrusive. We felt complete comfortable. The bus stops on the corner and the subway is three blocks away so getting anywhere was never a problem and we felt safe traveling at all hours. Harlem and Sugar Hill were a perfect fit for us.

Thoroughly delightful stay at Sugar Hill Harlem

by TripAdvisor Member moiramc

My husband and I stayed in the Josephine Baker Room, and it was spacious, lovely and comfortable. (Ever y room here is named for a different Harlem Renaissance figure.) Entire area where Inn is situated is historically and culturally fascinating. Our room featured beautiful antique decor, cool artwork (mostly of Ms. Baker, along with a trenchant James Baldwin quote.) Very quiet. Private bath very nice, featuring complimentary shampoo and a conditioner my husband and I loved. Breakfasts delicious and filling (homemade crustless quiche, pancakes, French-press coffee, etc.) Hosts Jeremy and Bernadette are welcoming, convivial and most accommodating. Can't wait to stay there again.

Good place to saty in Harlem

by TripAdvisor Member Rainis

This was my first stay in Harlem and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, especially after having been lectured by the cab driver about staying and the dangers in Harlem. I found the Inn perfectly fine - the rooms were comfortable, clean and the price quite in line for what was provided. The owner Jeremy is quite personable and helpful. I enjoyed my stay very much and will return given the opportunity. I found the neighbourhood not threatening at all, people were generally friendly. Places we visited and enjoyed were for music: Minto's Playhouse and St. Nick's pub - while the latter was somewhat modest in furnishings it made up for it with the atmosphere. We ate at the Baton Rouge - neat atmosphere and good Cajun food.

Short on Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member krell

It seems that if you are in the hospitality business, the single most important thing you have to offer your guests is hospitality. Regrettably, hospitality is in short supply at the Sugar Hill Inn.

Don't get me wrong. Our weeklong stay there was pleasant. Fine old home, well restored, attractively decorated and furnished, well kept. Located in a nice neighborhood with an interesting cultural mix.

But it was punctuated by needlessly awkward moments. For instance, when our cab pulled up at 6:30 pm on Friday, we were met by Jeremy, who seemed surprised by our presence. "I guess you are late. I had only a few more things to do and then I was leaving." An odd pronouncement, takes a couple of minutes to digest. No one is here at night except the inmates? And what the hell were we supposed to do if we arrived, on schedule, but 5 minutes after he left to catch the A train?

Jeremy really didn't seem to know what to do with us. He called Bernadette and muddled through, pointing out some helpful information, like the location of the bathroom, along with some that was less valuable, like the presence of a TV and microwave. (We were in Leena's Room. Second floor front. The bathroom was through a door and down a short hallway. Later we discovered that this hallway ends at a doorless stairwell that descends to the 1st floor. Is this a security problem? Now THAT would have been helpful information.)

Our first breakfast presented another oddity. Walking into the so-called "common room" at mid-morning, finding Bernadette and 3 other guests, one would expect to be greeted with "Would you like coffee? Sit down. Meet so-and-so, he is from wherever". Instead, Bernadette offers a terse "Will you be eating breakfast?" and disappears into the kitchen, leaving us to make our own introductions.

If you stay in B&B's very much, you know that this is not the worst of situations that can be encountered. Once hit with fawning, oppressive attention by some innkeeper, you come to see the value of cool indifference. (We once had a host who informed us at breakfast each morning precisely what time we had returned to our room the previous night. Made us wonder exactly how she knew that. She also sat at the table with us the whole time we ate and seemed to study intently each bite that we took.)

Why do people stay in B&B’s? Because they appreciate the ambiance of old homes, certainly. But, probably more importantly, because they seek to create the illusion of being a guest in a private home, a pleasure that has nearly disappeared from our modern culture. The truth is that most hotels, including some very large ones, do a much better job of creating the host/guest illusion than you will experience at the Sugar Hill Inn. That's kind of sad.

view of Manhattan from Circle Line Cruiseview of Manhattan from Circle Line Cruise

tip the attendanttip the attendant

yesyes

SHADE PUBSHADE PUB

What to wear while in nyc

by tabb6

MOstly doing sight seeing during day, evening comedy shows, bb king blues club etc... shorts okay during day? jeans and capris okay at night if not going to broadway show. How dressy should you be at night?????

by von.otter

Shorts will be OK for the day.

Although the days of dressing for the theatre as the characters do in "Dinner at Eight" are long gone, the trend has swung much too far in the opposite direction. T-shirts, flip-flops and jeans, although acceptable and worn, are just too casual.

This is a special occasion. You do not visit a Broadway show every day. Dress up a bit more special.

by Agraichen

Even if you do visit a Broadway show every day (well every month) I still tend to dress a bit more that the current clientel. Even in casual slacks and a sport shirt I tend to feel over dressed these days. I can still remember the Shubert in Boston as a kid having to wear a suit and tie!!!.

by clunker

You said NOT going to broadway shows so yes, shorts, jeans and capris are all perfectly acceptable for the activities you described. The fact that your worried about what you might wear while sightseeing pretty much tells me that you'll be dressed smarter than most of those around you. :) Have a great trip!

by ter1413

You didn't mention when you were coming...I am guessing within the next month or so....if so...you will be fine. If going to a Bway show, then I would get a "little" dressed. Nothing major...

by 10028

Jeans, capris, shorts, are all fine all over the city, except for the fancier clubs and restaurants. I just phoned BB King's for you, and they say they have no dress code at all.

Many restaurants have dress codes that won't allow jeans or capris, sneakers, flip-flops, etc. Regardless, there are certainly enough casual restaurants here that you'll be fine if dressy isn't your thing. But, if you do think you'll be dining at a nicer place, you might want to bring one pair of non-denim slacks.

by tabb6

thanks as this is my 1st trip to nyc and want to comfortable I did just go buy a black dress in case go to broadway show. sounds like shoes comfy shoes are the most important... dont every where tennis shoes, always sandals cute flipflops, heels but sounds like I might need to get some tennis shoes. :(

by tabb6

thanks did go get a black dress in case go to broadway or nice dinner. sounds like comfy shoes are the most important, usally wear sandals, or cute flipflops sounds like i better get some tennis shoe:(((

by 10028

You don't need a black dress for a Broadway show. Most people are pretty casual. Even your capris are fine. You will find most people walking around the city are a lot more casual than you'd imagine.

Really, the only reason to dress up is for a nice dinner, night clubs, opera, ballet, etc. For me, I'd pack one nice dress, shoes, and jacket/tie for your husband, just so I can dine at the River Cafe. But, as I said, you won't go hungry in New York -- there are something like 22,000 restaurants!

Comfortable shoes are a must! Don't bring a new pair, make sure they're well broken in. And pick up blister pads. I can assure you that you'll do a ton more walking than you're used to.

Comments