The Alex Hotel

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 35% less but rated 11% lower than other 5 star hotels

• digivixen's Profile Photo

Chic apartments at the UN's doorstep!

I never stay anywhere else when I visit NYC. I have always felt at home staying at The Alex, the staff are lovely as is the ambience and modernist decor. Team that with its excellent location (an easy 10-15 minute walk to Times Square or 5 minutes to Grand Central) it is perfect for the 5 star traveller and spares you the rat race that is Times Square!

Riingo, the resident restaurant is also a treat.

Unique Quality: Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a one bedroom suite, for the benefit of having a fully equipped kitchen. There are some sensational markets in the area and you can invite your friends over for dinner - they'll be super impressed! :)

The flat screen televisions (one in the living area as well as one in the bathroom) are great. You may laugh, but when you are relaxing in the bathtub watching TV you'll really start to appreciate the little "Alex" touches!

Nothing is too much trouble, I requested a late checkout on my last day as I arrived back quite late and it was organised no problems at all.

• Cupio1's Profile Photo

Fantastic NYC Hotel

This hotel was absolutely amazing. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was positively exquisite... very clean and luxurious. The bed was heavenly, especially after long days exploring of exploring the city. This hotel is located in Midtown East and is very close to Grand Central Station, so catching the subway is a breeze. It's also a short walk to great shopping on 5th Avenue. We enjoyed our stay at The Alex immensely and will definitely return. I suggest taking the hotel's luxury sedan back to the airport, it's the perfect way to end your stay at this fabulous hotel.

Directions: Midtown East

• NYCDoll71's Profile Photo

NYC's Newest Design Hotel

I live in NYC but work in the hotel industry. I actually represent hotels all over the world and provide sales & marketing support. The Alex is one of the hotels that I work for and I truly love this hotel. It's very "me" in that it's luxury but with a trendy twist. The hotel is predominately suites and you feel more like you are more in a residence than in a hotel. In addition to the FAB rooms, the hotel has one of NYC's newest restaurants, Riingo. It's Marcus Samuelsson's second restaurant. Marcus is a "James Beard" award winner and has put Sweedish food on the Map in NYC with this first restuarant Aquavit. You'll have to try Riing as it's completely the opposite from Aquavit as Riingo is a wonderful Japanese restaurant with lots of amazing influences!

Unique Quality: Luxurious but trendy and great service!

Directions: Midtown - East

More about The Alex Hotel

Liked the Alex overall

by TripAdvisor Member kr203040

Stayed at the Alex July 23 -28th.
The Alex looked the part and the deluxe room was a good size. The little flat screen TV in the bathroom was a nice touch!
Didn't find the staff offensive but not particularly friendly either - more of a business hotel rather than for tourists like us I would say.
Had room service one night which arrived promptly and was good food after a long day.
The TV in the bedroom had a slightly poor signal and thought some bits like the stiff toilet flush were a bit too cool for school.
Would stay here again if the right deal came along but we are returning to NYC in January and have chosen the Westin Times Square this time instaed.

Jefferson

by davecallahan

My cousins live in the Clayton/Alex Bay area of Jefferson County.

County population is about 115000 and fluctuates greatly depending on the activities at Fort Drum.

The Jefferson County Fair is held annually in Watertown. (http://www.jeffcofair.org/)

The county sheriff office website is http://www.co.jefferson.ny.us/jefflive.nsf/sheriff The county is named after US President Thomas Jefferson.

Watertown is the county seat. The County government was established in 1805.

The county website is: http://www.co.jefferson.ny.us

The major communities in the county are listed below and I have VT pages for some of them.
Adams, Adams Center, Alexandria, Alexandria Bay, Antwerp, Black River, Brownville, Calcium, Cape Vincent, Carthage, Champion, Chaumont, Clayton, Deferiet, Depauville, Dexter, Ellisburg, Evans Mills, Glen Park, Great Bend, Henderson, Herrings, Hounsfield, La Fargeville, Le Ray, Lorraine, Lyme, Mannsville, Natural Bridge, Orleans, Pamelia, Philadelphia, Redwood, Rodman, Rutland, Sackets Harbor, Theresa, Watertown, West Carthage, Wilna, Worth

Places to visit in the area include the Thousand Islands, Alexandria Bay, Clayton, Henderson Harbor, Watertown, Sackets Harbor and Cape Vincent.

Major physical features of the area are: St. Lawrence River and the Thousand Islands, Wellesley Island and border with Canada, Black River and Tug Hill, and Lake Ontario.

Brilliant trip

We stayed at the Alex for the 4 days immediately before Christmas. The two bedroom suite provided perfect accommodation for myself, husband and 17 year old daughter - not an easy combination!
The hotel staff were really friendly and helpful - especially Ed and Nick. No problem with showers or lifts which others seem to have moaned about. We had a very good meal in the restaurant - do try the red apple cocktail! The view of the Chrysler building was breathtaking - a wonderful intro to NYC for husband and daughter on first time visit, and very convenient for shops and theatres. Schedules permitting we will certainly be back.

Quite happy with 2 Bedroom Suite but not overawed

I, and my party, were happy with our stay at the Alex but we were not overawed.

I booked this 3 months ago as a family treat (3 nights in NYC). I booked the Alex because it was the only hotel offering 2 bed suites that I could find at a reasonable price $599 + taxes per night.

Faultless online booking on the hotel's own website and this proved to be $100 per night cheaper than using Expedia. I also received a reminder email 3 days before arrival.

I was expecting slick, contemporary grandeur but found that the interior of the hotel to be more utalitarian and slightly more aged & worn that I expected for a new hotel. Bed linnens, towels and bathroom toiletries ets were all of a high standard.

2 bed suite on 22nd floor was fine and I found no problems with the showers, tv's cookers etc. Living areas was not huge but it worked for us. Nice views from the seating area and there was evidence of good interior design in the suite.

All staff were efficient & friendly but no more than I'd expect from this price range of hotel.

I used the Gym 3 times and found the equipent and TV/music system installed there to be fine too.

We ate breakfast in the lobby restaurant and also had some room service. Cannot fault this but I was not looking too closely at the price.

Note that there is also a good Amish food hall shop 5 doors up from the Alex so self catering is also an option for residents.

Overall, I thought we received value for money given the other options available (or lack thereof). If I needed a 2 bed suite in NYC at a reasonable price and a good location, I would stay there again. If I was on my own, I'd probably defer to a more upmarket hotel and I also like to try out new places.

Conclusion : 2 bed suite is fine and is ideal for bringing your parents to NYC and have them stay with you. Otherwise you might be disappointed if you are expecting Peninsula/ 4 seasons standards.

Good stay, but needs to get the basics right

by TripAdvisor Member Jill_Oxted

We really wanted to love our stay at The Alex on our first trip to NYC, but just couldn't help be disappointed that some of the basics weren't right. On the upside, great midtown location, everyone we came in contact with at the hotel were fantastic - very friendly and helpful. Everything was clean, beautifully designed and it was obvious lots of money had been spent in the fit out. However, some things we usually take for granted just weren't quite right. There was so little space for clothes (the wardrobe was only deep enough for a t-shirt) - in fact there was more space in the mini-kitchen! We only ever got the bathplug to work once, the shower needed a lot of TLC to work (but when it did, it was fantastic) and the toilet took two hands to flush. Apart from one light on one side of the bed, all lights were operated from central switches by the door so one of us was always reading in the dark. There were no coffee-making facilities and no instructions in the room of how any of the gadgets work. I could go on.... In short, lovely people, lovely design, just doesn't quite get enough of the basics right.

Not worth it!

My wife and I arrived at The Alex at about 1 o'clock in the afternoon. We were told that our room was not ready but we could register (show our id's and give a credit card) and pick up a key by 4 which was fine since we had lots to do. We returned to the hotel around 4 to find the same reception desk staff who acted as if they had never seen us before (this is a small boutique hotel) We were told that there were no "no smoking" rooms available. When we got into a room, there was no toilet paper and the tv had been "stolen" off the wall in the bathroom. according to the laughing over zealous bellman. We were told where to find toilet paper but there was no holder in the bath. The following morning there was a huge argument between 2 employees just outside of our door. The F bomb flew several times. We returned to our room each day to find that housekeeping never showed. The room was nice, linens were great , and the workout facility was nice but the hands off staff was way too much for the price.

Great Service, Very Very Good Stay

I stayed on a one bedroom suite from 12/26/2004 to 1/1/2005, the suite was state of the art, and everything worked just fine, some of the reviews mention problems with the water, I never had a problem with it, also others mentioned the elevators being a bit slow, I never had to wait for more than a minute for an elevator and I was staying on one of the top floors (3105). To the staff: Maria, Ivan and I am sure I am forgetting more thanks, they were there to offer any kind of help I needed from sending a fax to opening a door or catching a cab. They all were committed to help at any time day or night. The rooms are very clean; the turn down service is awesome. The room service from ringo is good, and quick, One thin that surprised me is the effort they made to make my stay as personalized as possible, this is an excellent hotel, the price was great, and the service incredible, next time I am New York the Alex will be my place of choice.

Me and AlexMe and Alex

Alex Corretja servingAlex Corretja serving

drink up Alexdrink up Alex

not too much syrup Alex!not too much syrup Alex!

DC/Alex VA Boat Cruise

by Dlee

Looking to go on a Gourmet Dining Restaurant Cruise. Departing from Alexandria or DC. Thanks for the help!

Re: DC/Alex VA Boat Cruise

by cassidym

We've been on the Dandy out of Alexandria a couple of times and it's fine. Not gourmet food but certainly acceptable.

Re: DC/Alex VA Boat Cruise

by Dlee

Thanks I had found that one. Its for my husbands Birthday. And I wanted the dinner to be nice. Again thanks.

Comments