The Carlton On Madison Avenue

Booking.com Orbitz.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Manhattan hotel near the Empire State Building

I had read some umcomplimentary reviews of the Carlton on tripadvisor so I was pleasantly surprised to find my 10th floor room to be quite nicely decorated and very spacious.

The hotel is in the middle of a huge renovation which made the hotel "affordable" during the peak holiday shopping season. The only downside to the renovation is that the elevators were slow, I used the service elevator which was even slower. But there was no noise from construction. The lobby area is pretty small, just a few chairs and a couple of small sofas.

The location was good, on the corner of 29th and Madison, close enough to walk to the Empire State Building. The area seemed safe at night, I walked back around 10 or 11 pm and didn't feel unsafe. The subway (6 Lexington Avenue local) was just a couple of blocks away on 28th and Park Avenue.

Unique Quality: Room-spacious, nicely decorated, comforable bed with down pillows and comforter, cable TV, in room safe, ironing board, complimentary USA Today

Bathroom-also nicely decorated with tub and shower with good water pressure and plenty of hot water, toiletries included Gilcrest and Soames soap, shampoo and conditioner, hairdryer

Directions: 29th and Madison, Grammercy Park/Murray Hill

• GottaBeKD's Profile Photo

Great Location, Wonderful Service, Awesome Find!

After researching NYC for 3 days we decided to book this hotel (for 2 girls travelling to the big city) and loved it. It was in process of being renovated but the rooms are done and they are now working on what looks like the basement. It did not effect our stay at all. The staff was wonderful - offering subwya maps, city maps and suggesting where to go and what to do. Friendly, often welcoming us by name as we came and went. The room was small (but that's NY) and had one queen size bed. The linens were great - down duvet! - and the bathroom was pretty big and marble.

Unique Quality: The hotel itself was located a block from the subway - which, with our new map - was so easy to use and not scary at all. Cabs were easy to catch at this hotel (29th St. & Madison in lower midtown) and we felt very safe there. Great Chinese food a block away - a coffee shop around the corner. Wonderful!

Directions: Lower Midtown

More about The Carlton On Madison Avenue

In each city in the towns I...

by sailinsal

In each city in the towns I visit I have lists and lists, but the last was outstanding............the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Mothers Day ..............it is located in Pasadena in a gorgeous old area of homes..the food on the brunch on Sunday was placed in areas around the outdoors, entry and adjoining rooms so as the lines would not be busy. It was the most outstanding types and kinds of food stations I have ever seen,. We sat next to the patio area watching the pool area and terrace.
The hotel Ritz Carlton in Pasadena is an old hotel from the early 1900's and the Japanese Gardens are lovely. It is a quite hotel and thus very wonderful for special occasions. It was a spectacular brunch, with even sushi, barbecue, entrees, and the fabulous seafood ice bar........

Don't miss the desserts and honey wines!!

by Marinel about Chickolicious

The desserts were carefully arranged and prepare by Chef/Owner Chika Tillman who serves the first entrée with a delightful smile. Chika Tillman is a Japanese born chef graduate from the French Culinary Institute. She has stirred her charm and delicious concoctions at restaurants like; Gramercy Tavern,Dining Room/Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, Seegers and Bid Restaurant. I will say all of them-!!, there was not a single dessert not worth trying and the wine selection is carefully selected to compliment your dessert as well as your palate. The only problem is space, the place is very small and a very popular spot so arrive early and be prepare to rub elbows with the other patrons.

Nice and renovated

The Carlton is a great hotel. The building is near the end of the remodeling process and is nice and clean and new. The rooms are big by NYC standards and normal size by standards everywhere else. The room was clean, especially the bathroom, where everything was new and shiny.

Great Place and will get even better

by TripAdvisor Member jcolesw2

I stayed at the Carlton aby default. I had reserved "Thirty Thirty" some months previously but on arrival there they had given my room away (it was 4pm on a Saurday afternoon, I think they work on a first come first served basis!). It was a blessing in disguise! We were sent to the Carlton for the night and so impressed we elected to stay there for the duration of our stay.

Room was very spacious and very well appointed and bathroom a very high standard. Staff were excellent and very professional. I can only reiterate the other problems re lifts etc, but in terms of overall value I have no complaints whatsoever and would and will stay there again!

Nice hotel, good value

We stayed 7 nights recently @ the Carlton. The room was spacious, quiet, very clean, and the front-desk staff were efficient and courteous. The renovations weren't a problem - although it's true that the elevators were very slow as a result. However, we also found the bell captain to be unhelpful and quite rude. All in all, a bargain at the price we paid via an internet site, an excellent location and the best hotel I've so far lucked on in New York.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SophsUK

I stayed at the Carlton in June 2004 with my boyfriend and would definitely stay again when I return to New York. The rooms were very well decorated and clean, and the renovations did not make our stay any less enjoyable. Despite other reviews I did not find the staff to be anything but helpful and polite. Great place.

Lovely Little Hotel with a Great Location

We stayed at the Carelton at the end of March 2004 and loved it. The rooms are small but clean, and that's all that counts really - you're in New York! The hotel staff was friendly, very helpful and the the location was great. Very easy to get a cab on the corner at Madison Avenue. We loved it and will saty again for sure!

The Carlton Hotel

by edcorsaro

My wife and I are coming to NYC in Dec. We are thinking of the carlton Hotel and staying in a Delux Queen room. Does any one know anything about this hotel? Thanks

by 10028

It gets wonderful reviews on tripadvisor.com. Only a couple of negative comments, both seem to be about unfriendly staff. You can look at photos posted by hotel guests on that site as well, which gives you a better idea of what the rooms look like than on the hotel's own site. Location is pretty good too.

by xymmot

The Carlton is a great hotel with a great location on Madison Ave. You will not find any bed bugs there. It has been renovated and maintain very well so I know that you will enjoy your stay there. December the prices is usually on the rise, but well worth the visit. Cheers Tommy x

by obanator

I would say there can be negative or positive feedback from guest in hotels,
I guess its solely depends on what you need during the stay...if you want peace and quiet or some place where you would have fun and having noisy people around. Reviews helps alot to make up your mind:)

by travelmad478

I've stayed in the Carlton and like it just fine. The rooms are decent-sized by NY standards and they are well appointed. You should have no complaints (unless you are unusually picky!)

Comments