The GEM Hotel - Chelsea

300 W 22nd St, (formerly Clarion), New York City, New York, 10011, United States
The GEM Hotel Chelsea
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about The GEM Hotel - Chelsea

Which hotel should I choose...

by Gojuryu

Hello everyone

I have to choose one among the following hotels: Days Inn Broadway and The Gem Hotel - Soho

Which should I choose for my stay of one week in early October, will be my 1st visit to NYC

Thanks,
Bruno

by von.otter

I will advise that you pick the Gem Hotel in SoHo. The hotel and the area are far more hip and happening than a Days Inn at Times Square, Crossroads of the World.

The Times Square area of Manhattan, where this Days Inn is located, will always be crowded, busy and frantic. By all means, visit the Times Square area; but for a more relaxed time (and that is what a vacation is about) SoHo, although busy with shoppers during the day and restaurant goers at night, has a much more laid back atmosphere.

The SoHo area is well served by major subway lines, such as the Yellow Line N & R, as well as the Blue Line A & E trains, that can take you every tourist part of the Big Apple, and beyond! The architecture in the SoHo is far more interesting than the Times Square area. The crowd in SoHo is younger and more hip; you will be closer to the club scene, too.

The Gem Hotel gets my vote.

by 10028

Von.otter -- the Days Inn Broadway isn't near Times Square, it's on the upper west side.

Bruno, I haven't seen the rooms at either hotel, but I did see a friend's room at the Gem Hotel in Chelsea. Very clean, but seriously small. That could be a big consideration for a week's stay. While I do like the SoHo area, it's as crowded with tourists as Times Square is.

I love the UWS neighborhood of Days Inn Broadway, but after looking at the photos on tripadvisor, I would avoid this dumpy looking place.

So, of those two hotels, I'd go with the Gem. But -- why are those the only two you're considering?

You should spend a little time reading hotel reviews on tripadvisor. And absolutely browse through the candid photos posted by travelers. You'll get a more honest idea of what the rooms look like than you will on the hotel's own web site.

by John.atkins8o

Why don't you go to here http://gadguru.net/cheap-hotels.com/ and choose the best deal. You can compare the prices and choose the best deal. Hope this helps you!

Stay in Village/Soho?

by pecaspat

Hi guys!

I'm travelling to New York next July and I'm looking a budget, clean and well located hotel to stay. I want to stay in a nice area, close to public transportation or walking distance to the main attractions...but I also want to be near charming and cozy bars, restaurants to visit during the night.
In past years (maybe 10 years ago or so) I visited New York and Soho and Greenwich Village seems the most appropiated place to stay, considering my needs...Can anybody tell me if I'm correct?

I also found a hotel in Soho; The Gem Hotel Soho. They are offering a very good price. Does anyone knows this hotel? Can anybody suggest other hotels or areas if I'm not looking in the correct direction?

Thank you so much for all your help and time!

Re: Stay in Village/Soho?

by footstool

There is a new hotel on Houston St, corner of Forsyth (Holiday Inn Express?), which is a hip area on the border of Chinatown and the East Village. Since I live in New York, I never stay in hotels here, but that location would be a desirable one from which to leave in the morning. By the same token, the nightlife on the street (including a cinema under your window!) will make it a noisy place in which to fall asleep. In terms of location, if I were a tourist, I'd stay in the 20's, which is between midtown (Empire State Bldg, etc), and the VIllage, Soho, Chinatown, and bound to be less noisy and crowded at night.

Re: Stay in Village/Soho?

by zuriga

www.quikbook.com is a good site on which to check Manhattan hotels. They often have good deals - even better if you speak with one of their operators rather than book online.

I love Soho and if that's the area you feel comfortable in, then I'm sure you'll be able to find a hotel in that area. You can check the Gem on www.tripadvisor.com to see if people liked that one.

Comments