The Harlem Flophouse

242 West 123rd Street, New York City, New York, 10027, United States

More about New York City

NYC skyline featuring the Empire State BuildingNYC skyline featuring the Empire State Building

to manhattanto manhattan

insideinside

insideinside

New Jersey to NYC brooklyn museum

by ryencool

I have never been to NYC and have t o there on saturday for a interview. Im going to be in NJ friday night for my uncles 50th bday, so whats the easiest way to get to the museum before 10-11am? should I take a train from trenton or newark to penn station then grab a tsxi? or is there a station closer to brooklyn? any help would be great

Re: New Jersey to NYC brooklyn museum

by 10028

NJ Transit doesn't go to Brooklyn. Get yourself to NY Penn Station and get the subway. In NY Penn Station, follow the directions to 7th Ave. where you'll take the Downtown/Brooklyn-bound 2 or 3 line to the Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum stop. It'll take maybe 40 minutes from Penn Station, so plan accordingly.

Be sure to check the MTA web site for updates, as there are frequent interruptions on the weekends for track work, and shuttle buses are often substituted, which means delays. Here's the web site:

Travel Tips for New York City

An Unforgettable View of Manhattan

by Monster78

Boat, car, tourbus, or shuttle. Whatever your preference of transportation, a panoramic view that cannot be missed is one seen right across the Hudson. I've noticed several tourbuses take the Lincoln tunnel up to Weehawken/West New York, NJ in order the photograph the beautiful west side view of Manhattan island.

I would suggest taking a shuttle if you are not part of the tourgroups. These can be taken from the corner of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue (across from the Port Authority on 42nd St.). The shuttles are usually leaving every fifteen to thirty minutes and could cost up to $5 one way (may vary).

The best time to view the city is during dusk. It's gorgeous!

The sound of New York

by sarahandgareth

When you first arrive in New York, you’re likely to be overwhelmed by the constant noise, day and night. The streets are always busy with traffic, and since your hotel or apartment is probably overlooking one of those streets, you get to hear every car and truck whiz by. The police and fire put their sirens on at all times of the day and night (in plenty of other cities, the emergency services would be a lot quieter at three in the morning!) – even if they’re only going back to the station. In the daytime, there’s the constant hubbub of people, chattering to each other or into their cellphones. In some places, you can hear the subway zipping by beneath you. And somewhere there’s always construction going on. Put it all together and you’ll probably be driven crazy for the first few days or weeks. But you’ll get used to it, like anything else, and when we left New York and moved to Medford, we found it eerily quiet the whole time, especially at night, until we realized that this is what normal life is like again!

See the boats in the picture?...

by thinking

See the boats in the picture? Take a walk, jog or ride your bike
on the path next to the East River Walk .

On Mondays, Wednesdays.Fridays and Saturday we go to UNION SQUARE.'the FARMER'S MARKET' to visit our friends who work there and provide us with wonderful foods. For the best
breads and pastries we stop by 'Bread Alone'. Lisa, the Italian beauty who runs the stand, is the networking center and heart beat of the market.

If you want the BEST ITALIAN CHEESE SHOP and see New Yorkers shopping, head to Grand Sreet and seek out Di'Paulo's. He knows cheese. His store is famous, and the whole family is there running the show.

Nothing beats CHINATOWN and the vibrant markets they have with very reasonable prices....the best in the city. Uptown prices are sky high and the quality low in comparison. All the great chefs go to Chinatown for food shopping, and so should you.

If you love fresh cut flowers, get up early (6:00am) and head to the wholesale FLOWER MARKET on 28th street, between 6th and 7th Avenue. The colors alone are worth getting up to see and the smell is divine. This story theme happened to me twice!

Once I made a phone call in the lobby of a NY building, and forgot my wallet with a lot of cash in it. Only when I arrived at my next destination did I realize I forgot it. I walked back, and not only was my wallet there, but everything was still in it.

Once again, after shopping I took a taxi home. I had so many packages, that I left my wallet in the back of the taxi. I got a phone call from the next passenger who returned my wallet with everything in it.

It was wonderful. I had a...

by morocono

It was wonderful. I had a great time.
NY city is one of the most beautiful and important cities in the world. I just love it!!!! My last day in NY I was by myself takin the subway and making my own tour around the city. I went to the United Nations building and some other places.
I was alone evethough there was a lot of people around me. It was a weir but nice experience...

Visiting Lady Liberty and her crown

by pchamlis

It's hard to separate the images.... when you say or hear New York City, or New York harbor, you think of Lady Liberty. For well over 100 years, this copper-clad grand lady has welcomed the world to the United States. Originally a gift from the French on the occasion of our country's 100th birthday (it actually was delivered on our 110th birthday, but they didn't have FedEx back then :)

Visiting Lady Liberty (and nearby Ellis Island) is on most tourists' "to-do" lists, and it's funny but... we'd been to NYC numerous times over the last few years, and had not yet made the pilgrammage. We'd looked at her from the Staten Island Ferry, but on our 2010 spring trip, we decided to visit the monument itself.

Going to Liberty Island (and Ellis Island) themselves isn't really difficult or expensive. You can buy your tix online at http://www.statuecruises.com/, or you can buy them onsite at either Battery Park in lower Manhattan or Liberty State Park in New Jersey. You'll have three choices on tickets... you can buy a reserved ticket with access to the crown (but be warned, you will need to buy these well in advance), a reserved ticket with access to the pedestal and museum, or a reserved ticket that only gets you onto the grounds. The crown access tix are $15 each for adults, and the other tickets are $12 each, whether or not you do the museum/pedestal. It's more a matter of controlling numbers of tourists and access for security, that's why you have to have specific tix to get on into the pedestal and museum. Same day ticket purchases are likely to be limited to "just" the grounds at Liberty Island and Ellis Island. There are also audio tours available, for an additional $8. We didn't do the audio tour - not our thing. When I visit something as breathtaking as the Statue of Liberty, I want to be with my own thoughts, not a recorded tour package.

Like I say, you need to buy crown access tix WELL in advance - we bought ours months ahead of time, and certain dates and times were already selling out. Access to the crown is strictly limited, and they only let 10 people up and down at a time. Also, if you buy CROWN access tix, you have to pick them up at the will call window (either Battery Park, NY or Liberty Park, NJ). You will have to present ID and the tix are non-transferable. You can't pick up your ticket and then make a scalping by reselling it, or at least you can't do it "morally". The buyer couldn't use the ticket, it will have your NAME printed right on it.

You ride to Liberty Island by ferry, and you can then move on to Ellis Island by ferry. You can depart or return to EITHER Battery Park, NY or Liberty Park, NJ. But, once you disembark at either place, your trip is over. Don't leave NY and then go to NJ, thinking you can still get back on and ride back to NY. It doesn't work that way, and you'll end up paying a steep cab fare to get back on the other side of the harbor.

CLOSING OUT, let me list here the simple words inscribed upon this symbol of American freedom and opportunity, words upon which literally millions of immigrants have built their lives and dreams over the years:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door." My daughter has balance issues, and she was kind of nervous about this climb to Liberty's crown. She had said over and over that she might choose NOT to make the climb come "climb day". But by golly, she did just fine. I have written a photo travelogue about our visit to the Statue of Liberty crown on my NYC page, please do check it out. There is a photo of my daughter's unmitigated joy upon reaching the crown.

Speaking OF the climb, it's 354 steps/22 stories. The stairs are narrow, steep and spiralling. AND, there are no elevators and there is no air conditioning. If you climb on a hot day, you will be inside a large, unventilated and un-air-conditioned copper pot, so to speak.

If you do buy a crown ticket and the climb proves too daunting, you'll not lose a lot of money. The difference between crown access and non-crown access tix is only $3 each. Your only loss will be the opportunity, and dealing with what I'm sure would be disappointment.

Comments