The Helmsley Park Lane

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

great location and service

This is a very elegant hotel in the earth of Central Park area, just besides Hotel Plaza. First of all the location is great: on the 59° Str. crossing the 5° Ave., you are at walking distance from the luxury shopping area, Central Park and many restaurants. Moreover, many subway stations are very near (the orange one just outside the entrance door) or at walking distance (blue and red lines).
    Actually I am not so used to such an elegant hotel, but there was a special offer (i think because the exterior is on refurbishment) so we took advantage of it. We had a City view Room at 14° floor, with an huge window to an internal hall and a lot of light (genereally rooms in NYC are very dark). Fornitures are antique and very baroque, housekeeping very puctual and accurate. Breakfast should be also great, but their buffet costed 23 usd+tax so we decided to go to ouside cheaper eateries.

Unique Quality: Location. There are also Park view Rooms, but they are more expensive and can be a little more noisy.

Directions: Just beside Hotel Plaza (5°Ave/59° Str)

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Really good location

Yes I would recommend this hotel if friends or family of mine were coming to New York. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived here and the location is right opposite the southern end of Central Park. When we checked in we were upgraded as it was our 30th wedding anniversary so that was really nice! The staff were very attentive and polite and couldn't be more helpfull. We were told we were on the 41st floor and I thought good job I'm not too bothered about heights! We got to our room and it was very ornate with a king size bed it was huge, not like the English king size! We had a side room of the hotel and you could see down into Central Park but not over looking it, but the view was amazing. I was very surprised at how quite it was in our room as I thought we would hear the traffic and sirens going off, it was very quite.
    On our second night we came back to a tray of fresh fruit, cheeses and crackers and a nice bottle of red wine, also a hand written card to say congratulations on our anniversary and have a wonderful time in New York.

Unique Quality: They have a nice little patio outside at the back of the hotel where you can get drinks and light snacks etc. It was very relaxing to sit out there, we only did it a couple of times but it was very nice.

Directions: It's only five blocks west of Bloomingdales and about a 10 to 15min walk to Times square. The south end of Central Park is just over the road and the sub station is just around the corner on 6th Ave.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Luxury

Although I didn't personally stay here, I had friends that did. The rooms are quite spacious and its location is just perfect being on the sourthern end of Central Park.

It's very close to the best of New York's shopping, and it's only a 7 ot 8 minute walk to Times Square.

For those after a romantic stay, I'd recommend this is the one to choose.

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, great view.

We visited the Helmsley Park Lane in May 2003. We printed an Upgrade coupon, so when we arrived, they given us a room on a higher floor with a view overlooking Central Park. I was amazed by the view. Each room has an oversized window that offers panoramic views of Central Park. The hotel room was very clean, large and spacious. It is from walking distance to all the mid-town attractions. In the guestrooms, look for the hotel’s special walking/jogging map of Central Park hung on a convenient neck cord. I would have chosen this hotel in December if it was that expensive in Christmas period. Beside that I highly recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: Magnificent view, large rooms, perfect location.

Directions: Central Park across the street, Fifth Avenue a half block away.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Great accommodations right beside Central Park

I spent a great deal of time researching hotels in NYC for our trip there in August 2003. I ended up selecting the Helmsley Park Lane.

I got a great deal of $130/night from one of the online travel agencies (rooms overlooking Central Park would be over $100/night more!)

Unique Quality: I definitely chose right. The hotel is in a great location, has well trained staff, and has big, beautiful rooms. Everything about our stay here was great!

Transportation Tip: When you walk out of the front entrance to the hotel on Central Park South, turn right and start walking toward 5th Avenue. Not too far away there is an almost hidden subway entrance on your right. If you don't look carefully, you'll think you've just passed a store but it is indeed an entrance to the subway!

More about The Helmsley Park Lane

Helmsley park lane great location but terrible rooms

I booked my hotel through Voyage now and got a good deal. My first choice was Le Parker Meridien but that was fully booked. So Voyage now adviced me to stay at the Helmsley Park lane instead which should be the same standard and similar location. I got a room on a high floor with partly park view which was great but the rest of the room was not even close to a 4 star standard.. Thick carpet, dirty, wet from a leeking air conditioner, temperature in room could not be adjusted, paint was peeling in the bath tub, phone was not working and they could also not have it repaired before I left. Service was also not as promised, ignorant personnel and a not very friendly concierge. Location fantastic with subway close and the park just across the road, but the room was a big disappointment. As always the rooms look great when you check the website of the hotel. Like for most NY hotels I think it is time to update those pictures on the web!!!

Wonderful stay!

Stayed at the Helmsley Park Lane in March 2004. After reading mixed reviews wasn't sure what to expect. Checked-in with no problems and were allocated a room on the 39th floor. Room was large, newly decorated with all the amenities stated including a stunning view over the city and some of central park. Rooms overlooking the east side seem to have a better view. My only gripe was having no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Also, didn't eat/drink in the hotel as it looked rather pricey so can't comment there. Hotel is in a prime position for both eating and getting around NY. Booked direct with the hotel via the internet. I would definitely stay here again.

Great Location;Not Attentive to Details

by TripAdvisor Member jjmom53

Just returned from a 3-night stay. Booked a junior suite through Expedia. The view was beautiful (although the inside of the window was very dirty with what looked like kids hands);the linens, drapes and bedspread were fabulous and looked new. The couch and side chair upholstery looked new. However, the room was PURPLE with PURPLE wallpaper everywhere, even on the bathroom ceiling. It would have been tasteful except it is always a bad idea to have wallpaper near a bathroom sink. And the carpet and walls were somewhat dirty. Three or four out of eight lightbulbs at the sink were out and we asked three times for them to be replaced: when the bellman brought our luggage;when housekeeping brought the iron that was missing;and third, when we left a note to housekeeping. It never got done. We asked for extra pillows (twice), got those, but they then took one of the them back the next day! The housekeeping service tended to be rather noisy in the hallway in the morning around 8:30 am. We didn't even try room service...$21 for a hamburger even in NYC seems a bit stiff and there are plenty of nearby places. The location is great, but I would probably not stay here again because they just didn't seem to care too much. On check-out, we were not asked if everything was okay, and I had to request a comment card which were kept hidden behind the front desk.

Location, location, location!!!

by TripAdvisor Member turtlenut

Adored the location; staff adequate; rooms need a little sprucing up. Chipped tiles in the bathroom, but nice big towels. I would certainly love coffee in my room as so many hotels today have this. I would stay at the Park Lane again as I love being "on the park".

Another hotel question...

by feline01

Has anyone stayed at the Majestic on 55th? I'm still looking for something near Broadway between 57th and 58th.

Thanks in advance

Sue

Re: Another hotel question...

by seagoingJLW

Copy this and go to the site:

Joan

Re: Re: Another hotel question...

by rmdw

Sue,

I just stayed at the Helmsley Park Lane for $139/nt - beautiful, large room.

At Xmas I stayed at the Salisbury for about $119/nt - Not quite as modern or large but still decent.

Both are within 5 blocks of Broadway & 57th.

Robert W.

Re: Re: Another hotel question...

by feline01

Thanks Robert and Joan,

We just booked the Mayflower on 62nd and Central Park West. We went to the hotel today and checked it out, looked very nice and we booked a 1 bedroom suite for $175.00/night. Bit pricey but it's only across Columbus Circle and 1 short block north from where I'm having my medical procedure done.

Sue