The Hotel at Times Square

See Popular Hotels

Tags

Budget Travel
See Amenities

Good hotel but very upsetting experience!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 6, 2012

I arrived as a lone female traveller at this hotel on 17th May, 5 months after making the booking to be told my booking was cancelled in a matter of fact, couldn't care less manner by a rude young male receptionist. I enquired why nobody had called me in 5 months before I had travelled from the UK to be told "we don't have to call you, you have to make sure your card is fine". Apparently there had been a problem, of which I was totally UNAWARE. I had actually received a pre-stay welcome e-mail from this hotel just before flying too so had no idea something could have gone wrong with my card. I asked if anything could be sorted out as I was alone and needed a place to stay to be told the hotel was full and it was unlikely I would get anywhere at that time in New York. I again asked for help, spelling out I had travelled alone and was told (in exact words) "not my problem". I became very upset at the thought of a ruined holiday and wandering the streets of New York with luggage trying to find a room somewhere. On witnessing my upset state, all of a sudden a room became available for in the hotel and the heartless receptionist informed I could stay but only from the next day onwards. I would have to find somewhere for the night. Another female receptionist left the building after I did and had the good heart to help me locate a room in a hotel 23 blocks away. I believe she knew the staff there and they managed to squeeze me in with a room they probably do not usually rent out as it was literally a corridor with an alcove with a bed in it. My first night was ruined due to this, what should have been a good holiday set off to a bad start. I could not sleep that night for worrying I would reach the Hotel at Times Square the next morning to be informed I could not stay as something else had occurred. I felt upset and confused and devastated at the reaction of a so called professional receptionist who it appeared to me could not have cared if I had slept rough in the streets and found me a room due to me possibly causing an embarrassment in the reception with incoming guests.
When I did get to stay in the hotel my partner tried on several occasions to get through from the UK to check I was ok as he was worried but NEVER was he put through. The line in my room would ring and he would be cut off. I raised this with reception who said the phone must be faulty and they would sent someone to look at it - nobody ever came.
All in all the staff in this hotel, aside of one receptionist who was a lifesaver and a real star are a disgrace. They treated me as if I mattered not one single ounce.
A hotel can be as perfect in any other way as is needed but if the staff ruin your time there it is seriously not worth booking. I would advise anyone to look at other hotels in the vicinity, of which there are many.

Unique Quality: Have no issue with the accommodation, would have been great, large rooms for New York hotels, clean and comfortable but read above before thinking about booking. My safety and peace of mind as a customer appeared to me not to matter.

Only if you're desperate

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 16, 2007

$2100 for 6 days with a AAA discount. The room was somewhat clean. The room had no heat; it would heat for about five minutes then blow cold air. The drapes block the heater/air conditioner apparatus, so if there had been heat I would have had a choice of heat or having the drapes closed. The room faced 46th street, where they were doing construction until 3:00 in the morning every single day I was there. The staff spoke broken English nearly impossible to understand.

There is no high-speed internet as advertised - unless you want to use their WebTV type keyboard, for which there are no directions. A friend tried to call me four times and got either ringing with no answer or voice mail - and each time I was in the room waiting for the call; it's pretty pathetic when someone cannot dial 3 or 4 digits correctly. Unsavory characters hang out up against the wall along the street, making remarks/catcalls to women walking alone. Unless you're desperate, find another hotel.

jm34bee's Profile Photo

Least Expensive price in a Great Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 31, 2007

This hotel was 3 blocks off of Times Square and much less expensive than any of the hotels in the sourrounding area. We only paid $129/night for labor day weekend.

Unique Quality: Great Continental Breakfast... Good Service

Directions: Three blocks off of Broadway. Two blocks to the closest subway

keen88's Profile Photo

So central and so very reasonable

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 2, 2006

This hotel has an excellent location on Manhattan island. Perfect for those wishing to explore New York City's main attractions. Staying at this hotel allowed us to see most things on foot as it is situated in the middle of Manhattan.

The room itself fine for us as we pretty much just slept and showered there. If you're spending any more% time in the hotel room then you're not seeing all that NYC has to offer!

Excellent price, excellent location. Ideal for budget conscious travellers that basically just want a clean, safe bed/shower.

Unique Quality: The breakfast was very good for the price of the hotel.

butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Super 8 Hotel in Times Square

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 27, 2005

The hotel is lovely. It is an older hotel that the Super 8 chain purchased and refurbished. It has beautiful woodwork and italian tiles. Very lovely hotel. The rooms were adequate. My brother and I shared a room and had plenty of room. The room was clean and in the back of the hotel. We didn't hear much noise. Not a great view but not noisy either. We were on the fifth floor. We were pleased with our stay. The staff was friendly and some didn't speak much english, but they brought us extra pillows and were very nice. They assisted us with arranging a private van for our return to the airport and they arranged the pickup. It was all very nice and simple to do.

Unique Quality: It has a fitness center, small but adequate. They also served a free breakfast in the morning with a nice selection. Parking for a fee across the street but we used taxi's and subways. Great location. We were near all the major sites and only a block from Time Square and St. Patricks cathedral. We had our choice of two subway stops only a few walks from main entrance. Nice restaurant a couple doors down and right beside Burger king.

Directions: Located between 5th and 6th Avenue. Great location.

custardpomme's Profile Photo

The best choice for NYC

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 21, 2004

I spent ages searching for a reasonably-priced, well-located hotel in New York, and booked the Super 8 Times Square Hotel online.

It was fantastic - and I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city. The prices were very reasonable, among the cheapest I'd found. The room was a fantastic size, a nice big bed and a big bathroom. Staff were very nice too.

And the location, couldn't get any better! A block from Times Square, around the corner from a convenient subway line and on Little Brazil Street, which has lots of wonderful Brazilian restaurants - try Via Brasil, amazing food and oh-so-lovely staff.

Will definitely stay there again!

Nearby The Hotel at Times Square

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Conrad New York
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Martha Washington Hotel Formerly Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews