1 out of 5 stars1 Star

113 Jane Street, New York City, New York, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Rated 28% higher but also costs 137% more than other 1 star hotels

• clean and economical

In the West Village, very small rooms like a train sleeper car, 50 square feet with bunks- it was great for my first trip with my daughter. Who needs chain hotels, when you can experience New York starting with a 100+ year old hotel in Manhattan close to the cool stuff, like the Highline park, the river, the subway, shopping, and various food places close by in the village? A 10 min walk to the subway, down the street from Tavern on Jane(you must go) and close to the bus stop café, my first breakfast in New York. The service was fantastic, with the guys running up the street to get us a cab in a snow squall, to holding our luggage for hours after check out so we could continue to see the city. Be prepared for small rooms, I had a bunk room, there are other options available. Loved the character in the hotel, and the rooms, and sharing a bathroom down the hall did not pose any issues either, clean and bright and not crowded, ever. Would stay here again!!

Unique Quality: No pool, restaurant and bar on site, Wi-Fi, we had a quiet room with a window that actually opened, you don't need to have crazy amenities in a hotel-you're in New York!!!!!

Directions: West Village Jane Street, at the end by the water, so go toward the river!!!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Sweet Jane

This budget option is convenient to those who would like to explore the trendy districts of Chelsea, the West Village, and the Meat Packing District. Reasonably close to Subway connections and within walking distance of several nearby restaurants and pubs, this hotel is a good choice for younger leisure travelers on a budget, though it can also work for single business travelers. If no bargains at more conventional hotels are available at the time you visit, the Jane provides reasonably steady and relatively low prices. Most "cabins" in this nautical-themed hotel are single rooms with shared bathroom facilities on each floor. There are a few (more expensive) "Captain's Cabins" that can accommodate 2 guests and come with a private bath. Wi-Fi is supposedly available, but I've stayed here 3 times and have never got it to work. Breakfast is available in the attached restaurant downstairs, but costs extra.

Unique Quality: - Reasonably priced single rooms with shared facilities
    - In the center of the West Village / Chelsea nightlife
    - A 10-minute walk from the Subway

Directions: On the corner of Jane Street and the West Side Highway. Jane Street is located 1 block north of W 12th St. About a 10-minute walk from the Subway at 14th Street (A and C Trains).

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Good for Single Travelers

On my most recent trip to NYC, I needed a decently priced hotel for a single traveler. Let me tell you, there are not many places meeting that criteria in New York City. Luckily, I found The Jane.

Be warned - the rooms are TINY. And bathrooms are communal. But everything is extremely clean, comfortable, and in a great part of town. There are so many restaurants in the immediate area. The 14th St subway is a short walk away, and I never felt unsafe walking back to the hotel alone at night. And at only $99/night, you will not find a better deal in NYC.

Directions: West Village/Meatpacking District

• The Jane Hotel - NYC

One night, August 2010

Unique Quality: The rooms are small as advertised and its a shared bathroom. When I looked on the internet for somewhere to stay in Manhattan this was the least expensive option going but at 89 bucks plus taxes it still isn't exactly a bargain basement giveaway.

There's around 150 rooms in here and when you walk along the corridor and see how close the doors are together, you get a feel for how small the rooms will be. Regardless my room is comfortable enough without being anything fancy. There's a tv there and always usefully, free wifi.

Staff are very helpful and there's a nice vibe in the lobby with people coming and going. talking to reception etc.

It's located right at the end of Jane St. Next along is a pretty big boulevard and after that it's the Hudson river. The location is a big winner, Greenwich Village is a happening place to be. Nearest subway is West 14th street 5 or 6 mins walk away.

Noon check out.

More about The Jane

Having lunch with Jane Fonda...

by tmmcgrath

Having lunch with Jane Fonda (and Ted) at the Ptarmigan Tunnel...high on the trail, at the hiking tunnel through the pass passing between Many Glacier into Belly River. Our trail crew, after blasting the impassible snowdrift up there in '92...impassible for horses anyhow, hung around for Ted and Janes (with some Park honchos) ride from Belly River into Many Glacier. Ted's a real hoot. Jane was wearing somevery-very-very-very-very tight jeans.

Shop the Diamond District

by jamiesno

The Diamond District is an area of New York City located on West 47th Street between Fifth Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) in midtown Manhattan. The area is one of the primary centers of the global diamond industry, as well as the premier center for jewelry shopping in the city. An estimated 90% of diamonds in the United States enter through New York. It has been reported (by WNBC-TV's Jane Hanson on her Jane's New York special on the Diamond District) that total receipts for the value of a single day's trade on the block average $400 million. There are 2,600 independent businesses located in the district, nearly all of them dealing in diamonds or jewelry. - http://en.wikipedia.org

Every women loves a diamond it seems, during the time of my visit I was just fresh off watching the movie Blood Diamonds staring Leonardo DiCaprio. The movie itself affected me and I would wondering as I explored around this area were there blood diamonds there. Most likely the answer to that question is yes and it would be good to question where they are coming from. Here are a couple of web sites that will explain more:

So I am all for a nice diamond just curious where they are coming from?

I have been travelling America...

by tmmcgrath

I have been travelling America and Canada since I was 5 Years old (I am now 47). Until I was 18 these trips were most road trips with my grandparents and parents. Though these travels took me in every direction from my home in Little Falls , Minnesota...a majority of these vacations were west of the Mississippi River. I became aquainted with nearly all portions of the Rocky Mountains. But it wasn't until 1972, prior to attending that I saw the mountains of Glacier National Park. Along with a close friend, we spent a month hitchhiking, with our main destination Glacier. This trip changed my life dramatically. I had never hitchhiked more than a few miles up the road to see my girlfriend...and this trip would take across nearly 3,0000 miles of the Midwest and Rockies. We'd been advised that our (relatively) long hair would meet a 'Custerlike' end at the hands of Montana rednecks. However, we met so many friendly and generous people that this hithhiking way life would have a powerful influence on me for the next 8 years. In that time i probably hitchhiked a quarter million miles, and eventually added freight hopping to vagabond ways.

Most of these trips led me to Glacier Park, where, in '72 I also got my first experiences backpacking. When we initially rose into the mountains of Glacier in '72 (courtesy of a ride from a banker/artist from Toronto) I was moved by the spirit of such intense, gentle and harsh mountains...a geography of epiphany. I returned and returned...writing stories of my adventures, and printing photographs when returning to college in Minnesota.

In 1987 I began working seasonally on trail crews on the east side of Glacier...working 6 months per year, hiking an aveage of 800 miles a summer...this was our commute. I have spent winters here also...in East Glacier, Mt, as a volunteer ranger, since 1995. My experiences here would take weeks to unveil. I've seen countless Grizzly Bears at close/very close range. A most phenomenol animal is 'the Brother,' and I've seen most every other animal in this park at close range. The extremes in weather, in only 24 hours time,often still baffles me. The symphony of falling water in the Spring is hypnotizing, the wildflowers and other flora of this land;a unique ecosystem blending of eastern rainforest west of the Great Divide...the Blackfeet Reservation and its contoured prairie meeting the abrubt peaks and lakes east of the Divide.

In my trails job, as well as some video and still photo work, I've had countless experiences beyond day to day trails maintenance work. I've been involved in fighting forest fires, several search and rescues...have met, through trails or photography assignments, Ted Turner and Jane Fonda (had lunch with that duo high on the trai)l, Robin Williams, and photographed a hike to Grinnell Glacier by Vice President Al Gore 4 years ago. I've met hikers from across the world on these trails.

I've had some harsh experiences with work and weather, and was once assigned to videotape the remains of a hiker who was killed and consumed by three Grizzlies back in 1998, here in theTwo Medicine sub-district. That experience, coupled with a 14 day search for hiker the previous year...where no clues were found, and the same three bears became possible suspects in his circumstance (in retrospect) led to a very singular relationship I had with those Grizzlies over a 2 year period. It should be emphasized...that death, or even injury by Grizzly...a fear of many hikers, is extremely rare.

I near the end of my seasons in Glacier...at a crossroads, it is time to pay full time attention to my photography career. In a month I will be on the road photographing, as a new ranger takes over this home (goverrnment housing) I've loved since my stationing in this area of the park (1995). If there were a geology and ecology of my soul...I have been working and living in it...within and without. I shall be here one more month (and may return to the trail as fine art photographers are in need of some steady work, or independent wealth to maintain their expensive form of creative expression.

If/when you visit...allow as much time as possible. I've worked deep in the mountains for 15 years, hiking most every mile of trail in the park many times over...been coming here for nearly 30 years...and have barely begun to know the depth of this land. And I have become equally captivated by the Montana prairie...far from a boring flatland. Patience will reveal a prairie of unique and intriquing character. A different story.
Happy Trails.

Stop 18 - DEADWOOD

by balhannah

Take me home to the Black Hills, the Black Hills of Dakota........This is where the Town of Deadwood is located and where we had our next stop

Deadwood is a historical town, founded in 1876 when Gold was discovered here. We were let loose in this now touristy town for a few hours.

Located at 677 Main street, Deadwood is Kevin Costner's, Midnight star hotel. Going inside for a look, we found a very nice old style Hotel. Heading upstairs, and on the walls in glass cases are outfits that Kevin Costner has worn in his films, it was quite interesting. See the website.....

At Saloon Number 10, is where Wild Bill Hickock may have been shot playing poker and holding the famous "Aces and Eights" hand, better known today as the Dead Man's Hand. Wild Bill's and Calamity Jane's graves are in a cemetery here.

Once a frontier gold rush town full of lawless prospectors, today Deadwood has museums, restored gambling halls, historic buildings, old gold mines and a shoot-out!

Don't be worried if you hear guns, and see lawless men running the main street, it is just the shoot-out that is put on for the benefit of the tourist's.
The entire city of Deadwood is a national historic landmark, but not one that I really enjoyed that much.

The Jane Street TheaterThe Jane Street Theater

Me Sara, You JaneMe Sara, You Jane

Hotel near Stephen Weiss Studio

Dear friends,

I'll hopefully will be in NY in 1st days of May for the conference to be held at Stephen Weiss. Can anybody advise me a good, but inexpensive hotel nearby?
Is there any places to eat non humburger-like melas?

Thanks a lot!

by 10028

What's the address?

711, Greenwich Street

by 10028

There are some expensive hotels, like the new Standard, or Soho House, the Gansevoort. The Washington Square Hotel is wonderful but is also expensive. Less expensive options might be the Jane Hotel or Chelsea Pines Inn.

Check hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com.

New York has 20,000+ restaurants, so you won't have to eat hamburgers (unless you want to!).

Thank you so much!