145 East 50th Street, New York City, New York, 10022, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Kimberly Hotel

Kimberly Hotel - Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member Burbankre

We spent a week in mid-October at the Kimberly in a one-bedroom suite. The staff was very accomodating and gave us a corner suite with a terrific balcony view on the 26th floor at check in (yes, we had requested a view and high up). We loved our room! It was sparkling clean, plenty of closet space, well-appointed kitchen, living room with big balcony and great view, great feather bed, and marble bathroom with lots of storage. The attached restaurant, George O'Neill's is a steak house, but offers a huge $10 buffet breakfast. Consequently, we hardly used our kitchen. This is in a great midtown location and is just around the corner from two different subway lines.

Kimberly is great!

We stayed at The Kimberly from July 31st to Aug 8th 2004. The suite was great, with enough room for all four of us. My two sixteen year old girls found the sofa bed quite comfy and plenty roomy enough. The bathroom is small but spotlessly clean.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, but a special mention has to go to Greg, the doorman, whose welcoming smile was a pleasure to come home to after a long day of sightseeing. Don't bother looking for any other hotel!

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Warmheart

My husband and 18 year old son and I stayed at the Kimberly 1-4 September 2004 and we had a great time. What a great asset the doormen Gregory and Jose are - always smiling and helping out - I would go back just to see them at work again!
The one bedroom suite was clean and roomy(the king size bed had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in) and the hotel is in an excellent location - within walking distance of most places but also near the subway.
The 3 hour boat trip was very good - what a fantasic way to see New York in the evening.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope to go back one day.

Great Hotel

Went to New York to set my son up for Culinary studies and so after researching the net for over 6 months and comparing hotels I settled upon "The Kimberly". Very glad I did. Centrally located to alot of what you go to New York to see. The staff (everyone included) made our stay most enjoyable. We were there for 12 days. I got to know several of the employees by name and they knew me and my family by name. The staff at the adjoining restaraunt "George O'Neills" was just as friendly. The service was great and the food excellent and they have a staff that they should be proud of - as I know they are. Loved the outside cafe. Thank you Vince for putting up with me just sitting outside soaking up the city and people watching. The conceirge staff at the Kimberly were very helpful in anything that I inquired about and very knowledgeable. The suite was good size and very clean and the noise level was hardly noticable. Slept like a baby. I was very impressed. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone - YOU BET. Thank all of you for the help, directions, watching over me, the ideas and most of all good service and great food. Will be going back in March and hope to see everyone again. - till then - the Matthews family.

Great for Families

by TripAdvisor Member lsb312

I stayed at the Kimberly Oct 8-10. The one bedroom suite was large, comfortable and clean. I loved the balcony. The bed was very comfy. My kids slept on the pull out couch and had their own TV . It was nice to have the extra space. The bathroom is small but it has lots of storage space and a lighted make up mirror. The staff was friendly and professional.The hotel restaurant George O'Neils had a nice breakfast with a piano player. I look forward to my next stay at the Kimberly.

fine value for a suite, but not as good as I expected

by TripAdvisor Member Portia

We stayed here just this past weekend. Our 1-bedroom suite with terrace was airy (I loved being able to open the windows), quite clean & well-maintained (e.g., no stains on the carpet), had great storage/closet space (there was even an umbrella for our use in the foyer closet). The bathrooms, however, are not full marble as you might expect from their website, (the walls are only partially clad in marble tile); the lobby is ho-hum & provides almost no seating space for those waiting; and our suite's kitchen was not as well equipped with serving/cooking pieces & utensils as the typical Residence Inn. The furnishings are not high-end, but attractive enough; the lighting is excellent; there was a fax/printer/copier atop the desk; and our bed was exceptionally comfortable.

The Kimberly's level of service was appreciably lower than we were expecting based on recent reviews here. No doorman or bellhop greeted us upon arrival; we had to ask the front desk clerk if one was available, and when he appeared, he appeared to be only half-awake & was still struggling to get his uniform jacket buttoned. The $10 breakfast buffet is a terrific deal, especially in Manhattan, and the omelet chef was personable; the wait staff was not attentive, e.g., we never did get the coffee creamer we asked for twice. And check-out was inordinately tedious: front-desk operations are not fully computerized, and they couldn't find our paper billings & kept on looking for our folder long past the time when I would have apologized and re-opened the account.

I'm willing to believe that the service we experienced was below their norm. But even so, I would say that if having a suite is not important to you, there are better choices available in the same (or lower ) price range. such as the Iroquois.

Great location, comfy beds, dated decor

Found the Kimberly via this website and couldn't believe the good things written about it. We (two moms, 3 kids) spent 3 nights in October, and found the 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite accommodations more than adequate. While the furnishings were quite dated and needed replacement, the beds were fabulously comfortable with their featherbeds over the mattresses. The 2nd bedroom was small, but adequate as we were here to sightsee, not spend time in the room. The master bedroom was quite spacious. George O'Neill's is as stated by others - the best bargain to be found!! Huge, beautifully displayed and delicious buffet with carving station, made-to-order eggs, etc. If I lived anywhere in the area, I'd eat there every day - you can't buy groceries for the cost of what they serve!

If you're looking for finely appointed accommodations, our suite wouldn't fit the bill. But it was clean, well-priced, spacious (except for the bathrooms) and very convenient for all of our sightseeing activities.

Good experience overall with the Kimberly

My wife and I and our son, age 13, stayed in a 1 BR, 1 bath suite at the Kimberly October 23 for one night.

The hotel location was great for us: We were in NYC visiting relatives in Yorkville (Upper East Side), and the entrance to the Lexington Ave. subway was just a block from the Kimberly.

The suite was spacious, and the furnishings, though more formal than we're used to, we're fine. The bathroom was small but not intolerably so. We used the kitchen only for coffee, but would have used it more had we stayed longer.

We drove to the hotel. The bell captain on duty promptly and attentively handled our valet parking. The next morning after checking out we left our luggage in the bell captain's care so we could window shop before reclaiming our car. This arrangement went off without a hitch.

One problem: Our suite was awfully warm. The heating/cooling controls seemed useless. We kept the room comfortable only by opening the windows and the balcony door.

The $10 breakfast buffet at George O'Neill's is a great deal. The service was only fair though.

Wonderful!

My cousins and I spent our annual cousins weekend there! It was wonderful! People were so friendly, the rooms were great! Location.. couldn't ask for better! If I have to say anything I would have changed it would have been to stay on a higher floor. The only view we had was into a building next door! The Kimberly will be my home away home anytime I am in the city!

It was the best

We stayed here for 6 nights including Christmas Eve. I don't think there is any comparable hotel suite this size at this price. We found almost everything to be top notch. I am astonished at the negative reviews and can't help thinking that the hotel must have since then undergone some renovations and/or upgrades at least to the 2 bedroom I stayed in (28B). I found it elegant and beautiful. The furnishings aren't meant to be modern and they were certainly not outdated. Since we were there during the winter, we didn't get much chance to use the balcony but what an added benefit. It is obvious that the Kimberly was once an apartment building as our suite was the size of a NY apartment, far larger than the ordinary (and even expensive) hotel room. While the bathrooms may not be marble, they are spacious enough and nicely appointed. The towels and bathrobes are plush. Unlike one review said, I found the lobby to be very beautiful and beautifully decorated for the holidays. And there wasn't a time when a doorman or two wasn't there to help with the revolving door and to hold the elevator. There is a full time concierge available to arrange for your every need. I will agree with one review that the kitchen is not well supplied for cooking. There is a medium size frig, a small oven and range and microwave and coffeepot. There is a basic set of pots, silverware, glasses and dishes. But no baking pans, mixing bowls, or microwave dishes. So don't plan on doing a lot of cooking. All of the staff are extremely delightful and friendly. I felt like it was a home away from home and would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Comments