The Lowell

madamx's Profile Photo

Upper East Side Luxury

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 21, 2007

Our recent stay at The Lowell was a result of the mission my husband gave me for my NYC birthday trip: to find the most romantic hotel possible.

The luxurious but small lobby is a dead giveaway that The Lowell was built 1925 as an apartment hotel; the hotel was restored fully in 1984, with all rooms being recently renovated again. The Lowell delivered what we were looking for -- romantic luxury, but small and intimate.

Our room was decorated luxuriously, but not over-the-top; beds were comfy, made up with high-count linens; and the beautiful marble bathrooms always had generous supplies of yummy Bulgari green tea bath products. The maids were always leaving extras out and I squirreled them away to bring home. Towels were plentiful, soft and plush. I highly recommend getting a room with a kitchen; ours fitted into the space of a large double closet; it was nice to be able to store left-overs and heat them up or just to have a cold drink or cup of tea handy in your room.

There are two restaurants at The Lowell; The Post House and The Pembroke Room. We did try a couple of room service meals from The Post House and the quality of food was excellent for room service, always arriving fresh and hot.

Unique Quality: I was dreading a certain snobbishness when checking into the hotel, but all the employees were friendly and down-to-earth, giving us honest opinions about the cheapest eats or the cheapest way to make our way to Newark Airport or around the city. Because of the size of the hotel, employees recognized you by the second day, which was a really nice touch.

There is complimentary computer access, hidden behind a fake library wall behind the concierge, and a printer as well. It was great to be able to print out directions or research something during your stay, or just keep in touch with people. We found Antonio, the evening concierge to be very helpful and just a really nice guy to chat with. Even though he was busy, he made the time to greet us and was genuinely interested in how our day was going.

Because it was a special occaision (my birthday of course!!), a bottle of cabernet sauvignon was waiting for us at check-in. Later, the hotel sent up a large chocolate mousse birthday cake, the waiter fussing to light a candle on it for me; a wonderful beginning to our stay in NYC.

Overall, we could not have been happier during our stay at The Lowell. We felt pampered and comfortable, the staff do make an effort to make sure your stay is enjoyable. We will be saving our pennies (or hubby will!) to spend another vacation there.

Directions: 2 blocks east from Madison Avenue and Central Park; also conveniently two blocks from an F train subway stop

jbel2879's Profile Photo

The Ultimate Luxury Boutique Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 29, 2004

It just so happened that my boyfriend had saved his company so much money that he had $500 incidental and accomodation funds left over to spring for a studly hotel room. After much research on my part (I wish I had known about VT then but no worries this story has a happy ending), we chose to stay at the Lowell. It was one of the coolest hotel experiences in my petite little life as of yet.

These people really take care of you. I've stayed in some decent hotels, but the thing is, most of them were large chain hotels. A 4 Seasons, a few Sheratons, Hiltons, etc. This place is small, so they know you. They make you dinner reservations and make sure you get the best table in the house. When you get back from dinner, they say, "Hello, Ms. X, how was your meal at Y Did you enjoy the sea scallops?"

The rooms are decorated in light colors, with tons of 400 thread count-clad pillows and one of the softest, most ostentatious bed ever.

The bathroom was all marble, with about 5000 towels and bulgari products. I took a nice hot bubble bath and changed the TV channels with my toe. Dreamy.

Unique Quality: It's nice to get that kind of personal attention in Manhattan.
I'm not a huge fan of the UES, but staying in such a sumptuous area is really a cool experience.
Just stroll up Madison avenue and ogle the 15 carat diamonds in the window. If you stay long enough, an employee will come out and wipe your breath marks off the glass.

Directions: You can take the 4-5-6- train, but if you're staying at the Lowell, you shouldn't be taking the subway. Have them call you a car.

Nearby The Lowell

The Lowell

• Lowell Hotel New York City

Address: 28 East 63rd Street, Between Madison and Park, New York City, New York, 10021-8088, United States

2 Photos of The Lowell

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews