The Lucerne

Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Small_World's Profile Photo

Upper West Side Home Away from Home

I really enjoyed my stay here. It seemed like home, even though my home isn't this nice, but the staff was helpful, and I felt that I could walk alone anywhere in this area without worrying too much about safety.

I did have some problems trying to get the curtain to close, but that may have been more my problem than the curtain's; I was a bit preoccupied during this trip.

Perhaps I liked this place so much because it was close to H&H Bagels... :-)

Unique Quality: Marble bathrooms, a coffee maker (yay!), hair dryer, iron/ironing board, high-speed Internet were some of the amenities. The view wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad either.

Close proximity to a subway station was a plus, too.

I'm not sure about the price; The View paid for my stay there, but I would imagine it was moderate, for NYC prices.

Directions: Between Amsterdam and Broadway, take the 1,9 to 79th and go east.

More about The Lucerne

We loved the Lucerne

We stayed at your hotel last week, we absolutely loved it, the rooms were immaculate, they were made up perfectly every day - the hotel is so central to everything - you can get a cab right out front, or you can walk down the street and take the subway - we stayed 3 nights, you were so accomodating, and the hotel is very kid-friendly, we cannot wait to come back!

Pleasant stay at the Lucerne

Based on recommendations here, we reserved a room at the Lucerne. Great location, and very, very nice. A few weeks ago we stayed at the Excelsior, same neighborhood. Not bad, but unfriendly, less than helpful staff. Staff here are lovely, friendly, helpful. Our first room was right across from the frequently dinging elevator, and when we requested a room change, they gave it to use immediately -- higher floor, very quiet, even a view of a tiny slice of the river (room 824 -- recommended!). BTW, we booked through QuikBook (also has an 800 number). We noticed some reviewers complained that the rooms were small; Quikbook offered a junior suite for $190 (plus tax = $206), and they upgraded us to a larger suite. Not huge, but decent size for NYC, 2 queens, separate “sitting room,” with a minifridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. They offer a discount for breakfast next door, but I recommend walking a block to Zabar’s (good coffee).
(Note: Not 5 starts, because I reserve that for the fancier places, if they live up to the hype.) Would definitely stay here again.

First time NYC visitor impressed with Lucerne

by TripAdvisor Member bgrchip

We stayed at the Lucerne based first on these reviews and second on price & availability. I'm so glad others we looked at around Times Square were booked April 21-26 because we might have not stayed here otherwise. The room was great and the location very convenient. While you might think that staying a distance from Times Square is inconvenient, nothing could be further from the truth. Everything you could possibly need is within a few blocks, and the 79th St. subway stop is literally a 2 minute walk. The staff was always courtious and helpful. We didn't try the house restaurant NiceMatin but did eat at the little Italian place across the street - excellent! All in all a great hotel experience. If only those New Yorkers would stop honking their horns everytime they get below 10 mph!

Will definitely go back!

We stayed at The Lucerne from April 22-26. The service was exceptional and our room, a suite that we didn't request, was very nice and roomy by most standards. The staff went above-and-beyond to fix any issues and help us with tickets, directions, etc.

The location is fabulous - a few steps from the subway, a few blocks from the park, and an easy walk to wonderful restaurants and stores.

I will definitely go back.

Beware of the Permanent Residents

My husband, my toddler and I had our first ever trip to New York shortly before Christmas. At first blush, we thought the room was passable... certainly not luxurious, but we had a good rate and were satisfied. We put our toddler down for the evening at 8:30. The next thing we knew, the folks in the room beside us started making a lot of noise, screaming, slamming doors, etc. I could faintly hear a child in the background. We called the front desk but the noise continued. I thought I'd go the door and appeal to the people as parents to please hold the noise down. I rapped on the door and a male came to the door, shouting obscenities and threatening my life. I retreated to my room and called the front desk. They apologized. It seemed that they had put us beside one of the Lucerne's "permanent residents" - people that had lived in the building before it became a hotel. Those residents cannot be evicted so they make a habit out of driving the guests away who happen to be booked in adjoining rooms. We were upgraded to a larger room with a better view but it was a very negative experience and an awful introduction to NYC! We advise that potential Lucerne guests inquire as to whether their room is adjacent to the beligerent permanent residents.

A Gem In The NYC

Stayed at The Lcerne May 11-14, 2004. The hotel is classy, clean, with easy access to subways, taxis, Central Park etc. I have not lived in New York for 27 years, so I was very picky going back to stay. This hotel was a great value with great quality. All of the employees at The Lucerne and the connected restaurant NiceMatin were courteous, provided wonderful service and were readily available. The showers and water pressure were so refreshing. The neighborhood is safe and easy to walk around. Lots of neighborhood stores and restaurants, there evena nail place, cleaners andlaundry on the block. The beds were very comfortable and the linen and blankets very nice. The chairs in the room were unigue and comfortable. The lobby has marble floors as does the bathroom floors. This is a class act and after reading reviews for 2 weeks, I though I should write one for the next visitor. Yes, I would stay there agan and suggest The Lucerne to others.

Nice, elegant hotel

This is a classy mid-sized hotel in a covenient Upper West Side location. Buses and subway stops are very close by, as are many nice restaurants. The large drugstore across the street is a big plus for picking up things forgotten at home and some food items. The staff is very helpful.

Wonderful Find.

Great rates. A wonderful refurbished older building in a New York neighborhood filled with cafes and great shopping. Near Central Park West, Natural History Museum and convenient subway.Lovely fresh rooms, wonderful service and a staff that knocks themselves out for you. And the rates are great.

Lucerne Hotel

by treintitantos

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Lucerne Hotel. It seems to have good reviews and to be the hotel of my choice for now. I´m planning my trip at Christmas. Thanks!!

RE: Lucerne Hotel

by yvr

Check out www.tripadvisor.com they have reviews submitted by previous guests who have stayed in hotels around the world

RE: Lucerne Hotel

by 10028

Aside from the great reviews, the neighborhood is wonderful. The Upper West Side is an upscale residential neighborhood with lots of nice shops and restaurants. I think on the same block along Amsterdam Avenue there are something like 8 restaurants! It's fun and safe to explore at all hours. Right near Central Park, the Museum of Natural History, and convenient to subways on Broadway (#1 train) and Central Park West (C and E trains). Ten minutes to Times Square. Also convenient buses on the main shopping streets -- Broadway, Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues. And easy to zip across to the east side for museums. The crosstown M79 bus stops right across the street from the hotel.

It's also right near the wonderful west side gourmet shops. Zabar's is on Broadway and 80th St., and Fairway is on Broadway and 75th St.

This is the neighborhood celebrated in the movie "You've Got Mail." In fact, there's a mini virtual tour of the area on their web site, www.youvegotmail.com.

Comments