3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

201 East 24th Street, New York City, New York, 10011, United States
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about The Marcel at Gramercy

Seriously disappointed by the Marcel!

Plumbing problems, central heat not working, struggle with the hotel management to get a space heater into our room even though it was Winter in NYC! Misinformation about travel options to get to the airport and did I mention the plumbing problems? Yes, that kind of plumbing problem. Do not spend your money here. It's not even that great of a deal and you could spend an extra few bucks a night and get a better hotel.

You have to visit Grand...

by buffy_snee

You have to visit Grand Central Station. It is so beautiful and historic. Just stand still on a balcony and watch the people go by. Don't forget to look at the ceiling and see the constellations. I love the top of the Empire State Building at night. It is quite possibly the most romantic place to kiss in the entire world. Stand on the windy side and emulate Marcel Marceau.

The Whitney Museum

by MM212

Named after Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, an early 20th century sculptor and the founder of the museum, the Whitney Museum of American Art focuses on 20th century American art. It contains a very modern collection that sometimes is closer to being odd than modern! The museum building itself is an expression of modern art. It was designed in the 1960s by Marcel Breuer and is quite a contrast to the surrounding older architecture.

Good Budget Hotel

I stayed at the Marcel Hotel last week with a few apprehensions after reading the reviews on this site about the lack of heat. But, my friend recommended this hotel to me, saying that it was a decent place despite the very small rooms, so I decided to give it a shot.

The sleeping rooms are definitely small, but if all you need is a place to lay your head at night, it'll do. The bathroom was pretty nice with marble floors and tiles and a pedestal sink. I love pedestal sinks, but there wasn't much space to put my toiletries down.

The decor of the hotel and the rooms is minimalist chic and reminds me of IKEA furniture. I liked the furniture decor in the lobby and the lounge.

A nice feature is that the Marcel offers free bagels, orange juice and coffee in the morning...not too many places offer complimentary food anymore!

My biggest complaint is that my room was way too hot for me! (opposite from other reviews I've read here) It was an oven when I walked in and I had to turn on the cooler which helped me that evening, but when I woke up the next morning, the cool air turned into hot air and I was sweating and roasting again! I called to complain and ask about the heating/air controls and they told me it was central heating and could not be controlled in individual rooms, so they sent an engineer up to help me open my window which helped immensely!

The down side was that my room faced E. 24th St. so since I had to sleep with the window open so I wouldn't sweat to death, I ended up not sleeping well due to the noise from the street below.

The walls are thin, the hallsway are narrow, and the elevator is tiny, but it's still a decent hotel for the price you're paying.

I liked the area because it was less touristy and more residential (it's near a college) and it was a nice walk to Greenwich Village and Soho.

The price I got for this hotel was $109, but I think it could be a little less for what you get...like $89-99.

But, since it's New York City, $109 is probably still a good deal.

Lovely Stay

I was made nervous by the other reviews, but I was delighted at my choice to stay at the Marcel Hotel. Primarily, the location is ideal.
It is close to the 4,5,6 Trains, and is short blocks away from Union Square, St. Marks, Soho, etc. The staff was curtious and friendly.
Check in and out was a breeze. The room was a comfortable size- bigger than expected for NYC and well designed. The bathroom had a lovely shower and nice fixtures. The bed was very cozy and very large, and we had four down pillows with a lovely white comforter. Two large closets and the bookshelves made it very easy to settle into. The espresso machine works fine, although not amazing. And breakfast was as simple as you can get-OJ with bagels The only cons: the tv didn't get many channels and the cd player was low quality. The toilet ran a while after flushing, but worked fine. Our heater wasn't so great, but luckily, the room had a nice and very powerful space heater. And the elevator is SLOW and rather crummy.

But all in all, I would certainly stay here again. The hotel is geared towards the pleasure traveler, rather than business. It is rather small and thus very quiet- we hardly ever saw or heard other guests (almost all vacationing couples). And the staff is respectful and discreet.
Another big plus: It is on a street with many many good restaurants (esp. Irish Pubs and Sushi places, go figure).

Stayed on the 7th floor.

Great value for your money!

I stayed in the Marcel last weekend for a quick trip to NYC. This is a great place to stay if you're looking for a place to sleep on a tight budget. The bed was large, very comfortable, and looked exactly like it does in the pictures on the hotel's website. What the picture does not convey so well is how small the room is. However, its New York and if you want what would be an average sized room anywhere else, expect to pay for it. The bathroom was very nice with marble and a pedastal sink.
We had a view of the Empire State Building which was unexpected, but nice. I have also stayed in the Ameritania and prefer the Marcel because it was better lit and not so dingy looking as the Ameritania.
There is only 1 elevator and it is slow and small. Do not stay in the Marcel if you are a heavy packer and have loads of luggage as there is very little space to store them in the regular rooms. I have no idea how much space is availabe in their studios. However, if you'll only be in the city for a short while, the Marcel would be a great place, especially if you want to save your money for more fun activities in the city!

Pleasantly Surprised!

by TripAdvisor Member Fiona028

I was very weary about going to this hotel after reading some shocking reviews, but I am happy to report that our stay at the Marcel was very comfortable. Fair enough, the room was small but like prevoisly said, space is hard to come by in NY. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and the room was cleaned every day. Heater/AC was in excellent working order though our latch was a bit suspect, but you always have another lock. The elevator was in prefect condition and breakfast was always waiting for you coming down at 7am. The doorman always opened doors for us and even arranged to store our baggage after we checked out so we could finish off some sightseeing, he even arranged a car to take us to the airport. All the staff greeted you with a smile and were pleasant. All in all I would definetly recommed the Marcel for anyone on a tight budget or who are just looking for a place to rest their weary feet. WELL DONE MARCEL! You made our trip complete.

Shocking - Never again!!!!!

This hotel is a disgrace. I stayed for three nights in December 2003.
They overcharged; took unauthorised payments from my credit card; and were rude and unco-operative. Most of the people who work for the hotel who I have dealt with have a poor command of English and a "can't do, won't do" mentality. New York was fabulous, but the Hotel Marcel provided me with the one of the worst hotel experiences I have endured.

Funky Hotel, Great Value - Would stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member J0di

I recently stayed at the Marcel for a few days and must say it was a great find! It's only about a 10 - 15 minute walk from Grand Central Station and the walk is a small price to pay. The hotel is very clean, safe & friendly. I loved the decor - very funky / trendy. The bed was sooooo comfortable. The rooms are small - but this is NYC; space is hard to come by! For the value, I would definately recommend this hotel, or one in it's chain (nychotels.com) they are all great; if you are planning to visit NY.

Where's the Beef?

by TripAdvisor Member EJL2623

Our experience at this hotel was very good. We got an excellent rate and grabbed our two rooms without doing much research. I was quite nervous after reading the recent reviews. If it was ever as bad as described, The Marcel has since addressed the problems others have experienced. We were there this past weekend, when temperatures dropped to nearly zero. We had excellent heat, plenty of hot water, very clean rooms, working lights, friendly and helpful staff, and no trouble at all with our reservations. The lobby has some nice seating areas and the bagels for breakfast were fresh and served until 11 AM. The rooms ARE tiny, but very functional and comfortable. You DO have to send down for ice, which came quickly. The cappacino machine didn't work right, but you could get free coffee 24 hours a day. The hotel halls are dreary, but it's reasonably quiet even though you're on 3rd Avenue.
It's near some good restaurants and shops and it's easy to use the subway and flag cabs. We'd stay there again and recommend it to anyone.
I've had horrible experiences at hotels in my time.... This was not only fine, but a positive experience. Give it another chance.

Celcius Bar - Bryant parkCelcius Bar - Bryant park

where to parkwhere to park

bigbig

monument at Battery Parkmonument at Battery Park

Meet Another Tourists for New Yor City Trip - September 2010

Hello,

I post this message to propose to share our holidays with other persons who want to discover New York city between 30th august and 10 september 2010.

We are a group of three french persons who are looking for seeing much about historic monuments, walks around the city, the culture, and sightseeing. We like kind and open minded behaviour persons.

Normally we will also go to Boston or Washington for a few days during the trip.

P.S. : We are speaking english fluently no problem.

by roggui

I Have forgotten another information, we are people aged between 25 and 30 years old and like to spend holidays in going abroad.

by Roadquill

Hi Roqqui, Good luck on setting up your meeting. Be sure to post it under the meetings section on the main VT page. Your post will ultimately get lost in the Forum section. Also, it would be a good idea to put a picture and information about roqqui on your person VT homepage. Karl

by Agraichen

I wish that I could get to NYC at that time but I will be in Mexico at the tine, Contact VT member CJG! who lives in NYC.. His last event wast grand.

by roggui

Hey thanks for your Information :-)

I will follow it.

by footstool

Hi! We live in New York, and we would like to meet up with you for coffee and a walk around the place. We are in our early 50s. We just visited Paris in 2009, and before that in 2004. Let us know what your plans are.

by ab5001

Hello -

I'm a native new yorker and I'd be happy to take you around for a little while, but with a couple of conditions - first, if I ever go to france you have to do the same for me :), and second, I am so tired of the touristy places in new york, I will go to a museum or pub or art gallery, but I will definitely NOT go to times square, the statue of liberty, ground zero, or anything like that!!!

I will also be in philadelphia soon and would be happy to show you around there too.

I am late twenties and a grad student and have just a little bit of vacation left.

cheers -