The Muse Hotel - A Kimpton Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

The Muse Hotel

I arrived late because of a power outage on the amtrak lines heading into NYC, so i did not get to take advantage of the complimentary wine reception between 5 and 6 pm at The Muse. I did enjoy a quiet night's sleep in a very comfortable and clean and nicely sized room. The Muse is in a great location, very near to Times Square (221 west 46th street, between 6th and 7th avenue) but you dont hear any of the noise. Its extremely quiet. When I returned to the hotel from the show that i had seen, a room close to mine, i could hear people laughing and it sounded like there were a lot of people in there and i thought to myself " Oh no, a sleepness night ahead" But when i got into my room, i couldnt hear a sound. It was all quiet, i didnt hear a thing. The walls and floors must be very thick because i didnt hear one sound all night, not one. Only the next morning, i did hear police sirens, but that is unavoidable in NYC. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is very nice, contemporary, tastefully decorated and in an excellent location.

Unique Quality: Tasteful decorated, very thick walls and floors( didnt hear a sound), spacious, very clean.
    The hotel offers several spa services available in your room if you prefer. I didnt get to experience that though because i arrived so late, but next time i will, i may book a massage.

Directions: Block from Timesqure, great location without the noise

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Splurge. Get yourself a suite!

For more information on the Muse Hotel in general, please see my separate tip.

However, if you do stay at the Muse, I'd inquire as to the possibility of booking a suite. The Hotel has both junior and deluxe suites that are cavernous, especially compared to similar properties in NYC.

I will admit that they don't "give" these suites away, although they sometimes give nice upgrades to friendly 24th honeymooner couples. (see my other Muse tip for a hint as to what I might be talking about) But dollar for dollar, a suite at the Muse is as good as it gets without being a zillionaire.

Unique Quality: The Muse suites feature large screen TVs, marble bathrooms, exercise equipment in-suite, huge double-sided armoires, plenty of closet space and CD sound systems for each room.

Like all of the Muse's rooms, they're quiet, tastefully decorated and well-maintained. Understated, classy and very very civilized. : )

• 850prc's Profile Photo

THE place for doing Broadway shows....

The Muse Hotel was recommended to me by a business associate. A reserved and tasteful hotel in the heart of NYC's theater district, the Muse offers a personable, efficient and not-overly-visible staff and management, coupled with very large, comfortable and well-appointed rooms.

This stay was in conjunction with our 24th wedding anniversary. The staff knew this, and went to extra lengths to insure that we had an outstanding short holiday. In fact, they "accidently" overbooked the number of junior suites at the time we were scheduled to visit, and then mysteriously announced that they'd just "have to let us upgrade to the deluxe suite for no additional money". It pays to be on good terms with the concierge. (Thanks, Lauren!)

The staff is top-notch. They solve every problem immediately, and yet they seem to disappear when you DON'T need them. To me that is perfect service. They don't get in the way, but meet every need easily. An example of this would be Wildone, the extra-friendly "Jamaican Doorman", as his manager described him. Wildone is as helpful and friendly a fellow as you'd ever want to meet, always has a smile and will absolutely do anything to make your stay better.

We recently (April 2010) had another opportunity to stay at the Muse, and it was great as always. The Muse has now become a member of the Kimpton Group of hotels, and it's apparently a happy marriage. Apparently, Kimpton values the type of place that the Muse strives to be, so that means I'm going to be looking into other Kimpton Hotels when I travel.

If you choose to stay at the Muse, be sure to sign up (free) for the Kimpton Club online. That way, you get free internet, and a little card that will let you raid the minibar for free - for a couple of beers or drinks. :)

Unique Quality: Classy and yet understated. The Muse is softly-lit and done in an elegant and muted scheme of color and polished hardwoods. In short, it's the very definition of refined.

Among the best points of the Muse, with respect to neighboring and competing properties would be the size of its rooms. NYC is not noted for being a town featuring large hotel rooms without an astronomical pricetag. The Muse advertises that its rooms are 100-250 square feet larger than comparable quarters in the district, and its true.

The Muse also has a PERFECT location, couldn't be better for seeing Broadway shows, and hanging around Times Square.

And last, the Muse isn't a large hotel. It's quieter and less-crowded. Civilized would be an excellent choice of adjective when describing the Muse. And, it's run by fine people. We ran into some British visitors on our April 2010 stay, and they'd been stranded in NYC because of the volcanic ash issue in Europe. (the airports being closed) Apparently and unlike many other hotels, the Muse took very good care of these folks, and even extended a very good deal that they'd gotten on room with their original reservation. Here's hoping your trip home went without incident, Stuart and Ursula. Greetings from America!

Summing up, let's go with Classy and civilized. : )

Oh, and one more thing... if you'd like to have a few drinks or beers, but not stray far from the hotel, there's an Irish bar next door. Go to the upstairs area, get your drinks and then try to secure yourself a seat on the small balcony. It's a great place to watch the street fun unfold below you...which is always extra-entertaining after you've had a few drinks.

Directions: Just a couple of blocks west of the Times Square intersection

More about The Muse Hotel - A Kimpton Hotel

Almost perfect

by TripAdvisor Member McKinney_TXHanger

We stayed at the Muse from Oct 11th till the 18th. The hotel is almost perfect. The rooms are very clean. The decor is very nice. The staff were very helpful. we had some small problems that were handled right a way. The rooms manager was not as helpful as the staff. The beds are wonderfull. On a 1-10 I give it a 9.5. Only problem is thay promissed a high floor room and gave me a room on the floor six. They said they were full and had no choice. The higher the quieter, trust me or the rear. We go to NY at least once a year and this is the place to stay.
They should either have a better rate for the week or replace everything in the room everyday since you are paying the full daily rate. Bathrobe, soaps, shampoo, bathroom mat only replaced if I asked daily. Same rate if I checked out and in daily, so all items should be replaced. Will stay again, but will get a high room if I can.

Great 1st experience in NY

Stayed at The Muse for just one night (after seeing a show), and it was so much more than I was expecting. The door staff were SUPER helpful (Dave and the other guy) with not only our bags, but tips on getting around, great directions, etc. Our standard room was automatically upgraded to a Suite, which was much more roomy than I expected in NY City. The bathroom was huge, and VERY CLEAN (The first thing I check in every hotel room). The furnishings in the room looked brand new. The District restaurant (attached to the hotel) is a very highly-rated place, and does the room service also. Because the room-service breakfast we ordered was 15 mins late, it was free-of-charge. Would definitely stay at The Muse every time!!!

Time Square Treat

Just back from a 6 night stay at The Muse. Great location, fabulous restaurant and bar, clean comfy fully-equipped room, what more can you ask for! Staff were very friendly, allowing us an early check-in and offering some tips on theatre tickets etc. Only slight problem - our room was on the 7th floor facing the street - little bit noisy, but hey its NYC. Our superior room had a huge king size bed, great mini-bar, huge bathroom with tub and shower and all the little extras you expect - steam iron, hairdryer, lots of towels etc. Can't recommend the hotel enough.

Mixed review

My mother, sister and I stayed at the Muse for 3 nights in mid October.
The doormen and bellhops were very accomodating and nice. The front desk staff were cooly aloof, but did help. We were escorted to our room and when the door was opened I immediately knew it was wrong. I had reserved the "Executive double double" so we would have a pull out sofa bed, and 2 double beds for the 3 of us. We got a King size bed and a sofa. The bellhop called the front desk and I did get attitude from the woman, but when I offered to show her the website confirmation print out, she quickly told me she would send someone up to show us to another room. The second room was very spacious, very clean and the bathroom was terrific for 3 women to share! The feather beds are great and the location can't be beat. I guess you have to remember that you are in cynical, slick Manhattan and you have to stand your ground and insist on service. The price of the room is probably too high, but the convenience of Mid town is worth the price. I thought the rooms were very quiet and the workout room is well equipped. I hope this helps others make up their mind. I do think I would stay at the Muse again, but make sure to have documentation of my reservation!

A Special Place

by TripAdvisor Member alltrue2

Where else can you have breakfast served on your own balcony as the sun comes up overlooking Times Square? The hotel's "District" restaurant is noted for its awesome breakfast and the room service staff set up a fabulous spread on the spacious balcony tables and chaises. The beds are fluffy and the bath amenities are from Philosophy. Top that off with a great massage from a Russian husband and wife team (Thanks, Gregory!) and you can't be more relaxed in Times Square.

completely overrated...

The staff - from the manager on down - is pompous, condescending, and utterly pretentious. (Except the housecleaning staff who were wonderful.)

We've stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world, and the members of this staff are shameful in comparison. And the rooms are utterly average.

It took us 25 minutes to check-in. Paranthetically, the check-in area has the feel of a gaming pit in Vegas. Some guy sitting at a desk checks us in - another guy at another desk checking someone else in to his left. And perched middle, back, and above is some woman doing nothing... Ostensibly the "pit boss." Very weird. Everyone dressed in de riguer black.

We went to our rooms only to see they were the wrong wrong type, so add another 20 minutes to get new rooms. The bellmen were slick. Too slick.
Like Ben Affleck wanna-be. And not helpful at all.

We kept our bags at the bell desk on our final day, and when we went to get them, the bellman told us that he could only retreive them if we would go out and hail a cab for another waiting guest. Outrageous! And true.

The beds are quite comfy, with wonderful sheets. The rooms are small, but clean and well laid-out, and the design is "hippish." Kudos to housecleaning staff.

Still, the rooms are nothing to rave about. 2 1/2 stars, at best. And the staff is so unappealing, so snarky, so surly that I would never stay here again. Never.

wonderful hotel

Stayed at The Muse in June, 2003 for our 5 year anniversary. From entering the hotel to our depature, it was a wonderful experience. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was outstanding and the staff very friendly and attentive. Location excellent. This will be our New York hotel from now on.

Muse Hotel Spa Suite

by Glasgowgirl

Help!!! We are returning to New York next month to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We want it to be special and are considering the Spa Suite. But I am not clear - does the Spa Suite have a balcony? Does anyone know?

Thanks and regards from a cold, wet Scotland

Re: Muse Hotel Spa Suite

by Glasgowgirl

Thanks for that, still searching. As we are 5 hours ahead over here (Scotland) I can't call just yet! I did email them last night but so far no reply.

Will keep trying!

Re: Muse Hotel Spa Suite

by 10028

Hi there, I just phoned them (if I hear "stay inspired" one more time from their operators, I think I'll scream!!!).

Anyway, only one of their spa suites has a balcony. That's the good news. The bad news is that it overlooks a brick wall! Actually, none of their balconies has a view. The building is in the middle of the block, surrounded by taller buildings.

September is very expensive, lots going on in the city then. You might want to consider a romantic hotel, like the Library. No balcony or spa though. Those are rare amenities for NYC hotels, and you'll pay dearly. Spend your money on a blow-out romantic dinner instead!

Comments