The Ritz-Carlton New York Central Park

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton New York Central Park

The right hotel

by antisocial about The Ritz-Carlton New York Battery Park Hotel

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel is a 5-star luxurious hotel. It has been ranked #1 Hotel in the World by Institutional Investor Magazine. Staying in this 5-star hotel will make you not want to leave. It may be pricey but the experience you will have here will be great. Services, facilities and its amenities are all accommodated. They have spas, fitness centers, telescopes in harbor view rooms, Wi-Fi access in all public space and guest rooms, and more. Food is amazing and everyone really treats you well. They accommodate you with all your needs and even help you out for business purposes. I would really recommend others to stay in this hotel because surely you will not regret it. Hotel Details:

*298 guest rooms, including 39 suites and one Ritz-Carlton Suite
*12,000 square feet of meeting space including two ballrooms
*Ranked #1 Hotel in the World by Institutional Investor Magazine
*Global Traveler Magazine's Top 10 Hotels in the United States 2008
*Conde Nast Traveler Magazine's Gold List 2008

Amenities:

*Telescopes in harbor view rooms and suites
*DVD Home Theater System and DVD/CD library in The Ritz-Carlton Club level and in suites
*400 thread-count Frette linens
*Plush terry or lightweight bathrobe
*Generously sized terry bath towels
*Wireless Internet access in all guest rooms
*Dual line telephones with voicemail and dataline capabilities with separate cordless phone
*Complimentary morning newspaper
*Fully stocked mini refreshment bar
*24-hour in-room dining

Property Features & Amenities:

*12,000 square feet of meeting space including two ballrooms
*State-of-the-art fitness center
* Spa Facilities with massages and skin/body treatments
* Limousine services available upon request
* Valet parking
* Luggage storage
* Private front drive entrance Babysitting services available upon request
*Wireless Internet access in all public spaces

Business Services:

*Conference Concierge
*Audio-visual equipment
*Shipping and receiving services
*Fully-equipped Business Center with high-speed internet access, color copier, fax and administrative services
*Security services
*Electrical services
*Entertainment
*All public spaces and guest rooms have Wi-Fi internet access

Dining Facilities:

*award-winning 14th floor Rise bar and terrace
*2 West Steakhouse
*Lobby Lounge

Hotel Policies:

*Hotel check-in is after 3:00pm; check-out is before 12:00pm
*Pets: The hotel allows pets under 20 pounds. There is a $125 pet fee per stay.

Just Perfect!

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to NYC, we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Central Park for five nights. Everything was perfect inculding the rooms, food concierge and service. Only small let down was the lack of gym/pool facilities.

Awesome

by TripAdvisor Member Clovis16

Perfect location, great service, friendly and helpful staff, good concierge, well-equipped workout facility, good spa, beautiful views from parkview rooms, convenient and quick valet parking, more intimate size - not cheap, but worth every penny. The best all-around hotel we have visited in NYC.

A perfect Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KarenHorsley

We spent 3 nights at the Ritz Carlton and have to say that it was the most beautiful and perfect hotel we have ever stayed in. We found all the staff very friendly, efficient and helpful and always courteous. We especially liked the juice and apples laid out for returning morning joggers every morning! The room was very spacious which is a real plus in New York. It was also very quiet - we had a back room - and although we didn't have a view of Central Park, we didn't feel at all disappointed. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in - I am now busy changing all my bedding - and the bathroom was simply luxurious. A hotel which could not be faulted and to be recommended to all.

They thought of everything

by TripAdvisor Member cubeless

Just about as perfect as you can get for a hotel. Although the rates are steeeeep, the service is impeccable as are the rooms. From the DVD players to the bath products to the pillows (THE best), the rooms are appointed perfectly. Room service was a tad dissappointing (especially given the price of a $22 caesar salad and a $14 bowl of soup), but everything else in the hotel is superb.

Staff is Putting on the Ritz

by TripAdvisor Member lutesmooth

This property is fantastic! From the linens in the rooms to the way the lobby is decorated, you know you are in a deluxe environment.

The restaurant, Atelier is outstanding. I was surprised to hear that the original chef has moved on. The menu remains inspired, the food is delicious and the service fantastic.

The lobby bartenders are extremely attentive and informative about the wines they serve. Of course there is Norman, an institution at the Ritz, but there is also Celine. Celine is friendly and always professional. She takes a personal interest to ensure that her guests have a wonderful experience inbibing her creations. When a celebrity is there, she tactfully ensures that their privacy remains intact without insulting curious guests. She really is an asset to their organization.

Overall, I feel that this Ritz property is NYC's finest hotel. Great location, great amenities and great staff make for a great experience.

Absolutely impeccable!

by TripAdvisor Member emtjohnson

Just spent three nights here with my mother and my daughter (age 8). It was my second stay at this hotel and I enjoyed it even more than last year. The location is wonderful. We walked to MoMA, American Girl Place, Barney's, the theatre and much more!
The level of service is excellent and traveling with my daughter seemed to get me even BETTER service than without. Upon arrival one of the staff members gave my daughter a Lizzie Maguire DVD to watch in the room. Our first morning, on the way out the door, the doorman greeted my daughter by name! Our bellman was very grateful for his tips...everyone was fantastic!
Our room was at the back of the hotel. We needed two double beds so we booked the lowest room category, which is the only way to GET 2 doubles. It was exquisite! And we still had three large windows, including one in the spacious bathroom.
We had breakfast every morning at the hotel's restaurant, Atelier.Again, the service is unparalleled. Dinner at Atelier our last night was divine (and now prix fixe); the Master Sommelier was very kind.
Although I love shopping and exploring downtown...I will never be able to stay anywhere but the Ritz Carlton on central Park - as long as I can afford it. It is absolutely a dream hotel! I'm hoping to take my daughter again this summer.

Died and Gone to Heaven..Meet Saint Ritz Carlton!

by TripAdvisor Member serendipit4

There are not enough stars in the galaxy to rate this fabulous hotel.
We were really going for it anyway. Valentine's Day spoily excess had already been booked. We're talking Park View with access to the Club Lounge package. Not cheap and my wife was initially somewhat in awe of the $845 per night price tag. So was I, this was a 'it had better be good' scenario.
Needless to say this crowned emperor of the hotel world delivered beyond our wildest expectations. Where do I start?
I cheekily asked for an upgrade and was initially turned down.
Embarrassed, I smiled and muttered something about if one didn't ask one didn't get. Then as we were being escorted accross the lobby, the deft sign language/telepathy/5 star communication systems so unique to the best hotels indicated that yes an upgrade was available later in the day.
We went to the Museum of Modern Art (Tip: Avoid Mondays, it is a fabulous museum stuffed full of some of the world's greatest treasures, but you need dedication to wait in the cold and the rain for 45 minutes and then queue yet again to deposit bags) and returned several hours later.
We were allocated a brand new Park View suite (2014) on the 20th floor.
We were literally the second or third set of people to stay there.
It all smelt wonderfully new and the view of the park was unbeatable. As art lovers we were very much looking forward to seeing The Gates installation but were concerned that our room would not afford much of an overview. Imagine our delight at seeing from the 20th floor this entire
saffron (we thought orange!) multi million dollar art extravaganza in front of our windows!
I prefer plain decoration but somehow the Ritz Carlton furnishings work wonders with patterns. French styled without the overkill.
I adored the stripey padded walls.
If you can afford it, I strongly urge you to go for the Club Lounge package. The staff are so helpful and friendly and the 6 complimentary food presentations just sumptuous. I have to admit we took full advantage of the hotel's generosity including champagne for my wife and vodka tonics for me.
We were treated so well and all staff were genuinely thankful for their $10 tips. The delightful young woman from reception who showed us our $1695 (we think) suite, even initially refused her tip!
We were sent on our way by everyone with a cheery smile and plenty of banter. The commissionaire who opened our taxi door commiserated with us regarding our next sojourn to the Hotel Giraffe, but that's another story if it gets printed!
In the words of Kojak.....
'Ritz Carlton...We loves ya baby.'

VERY over rated

I really can't see what all the fuss is about here.

The rooms are OK (but small) and the rates are way too over-priced. The location is OK but everything else was just about average. - Still, if you've got money to burn, don't listen to a word!

My first visit to New York

by Suzze

"My five nights six days in New York - Day 1"

I found this place just amazing and really tried to make the most of our time here. We landed at Newark early afternoon and then made our way to our hotel right by Central Park. Hotel was lovely and got an upgrade as it was our wedding anniversary. We had a side view of the park and it was 41 floors up!

Alot of what we did in NYC we booked online at home before we went, so we knew what we were going to be doing best part of the time. As it was a short time out there we wanted to fill it as best we could.
We booked our Grey Line Loop hop on hop off bus tour, did the two day pass and that included one night tour too that you stay on the bus with. It also included a ferry ride onto Liberty Island and Ellis Island, what we didn't know was that it also included tickets to go up the Statue of Liberty which we had already been and done. We wanted to use them again to go up at night to save wasting them, but it was our last night we decided to do it and it poured hard with rain, so couldn't go.
We also booked online to go to a Broadway show, and we booked with Broadway.com, please be warned don't do it. We booked top seats with these people and when we went to surrender our paper work at the ticket office the afternoon of the show, the theatre had no recollection of our booking. They bent over backwards to sort it out for us and Broadway.com were saying they didn't make the booking. So you can imagine we were not happy. We did get to see the show but were offered other seats which were a bit further up the back and on the side. We accepted them but had to pay again and was told that Broadway.com will reimburse us. They did but took a fee for the exchange rate, unbelievable.
We did our dinner cruise online too and our bus to Woodbury Outlet Centre and that was all fine.

After we checked in we went for a stroll around the park and I was just in awe of it all. It was beautiful and can see why the locals love it so much. People were doing everything, playing baseball, having picnics, roller blading, dog walking, sun bathing and just walking about taking in the surroundings like we were.
We had a good walk about and sat down by the Lincoln Centre where we decided it was just too hot and we were too tired to do anything after all the travelling.
We made our way back to the hotel where we had a light dinner and a couple of drinks then hit our bed!

"Day 2"

We were up really early the next day and was up and out of the hotel by 7.30 as we were making the most of being in the English time zone. The streets were really quite and we felt that morning we had New York to ourselves...... for a while anyway.

We stopped at Central Station to get breakfast and I just could not believe the size of this place and the beauty of it. I can see why people say you have to visit Grand Central Station, it was quite early when we were there but I could only imagine it in the rush hour!

This is continued on my travelogues

Quick Night to Madison Square Garden

by THVT

We will be staying overnight in NYC for a Madison Square Garden event. Which airport is closer to the Garden? Can I get to the Garden by Taxi or is there a better way? Tell me about a great hotel. Price is no object provided it is close to the Garden and NO BEDBUGS!!!!

Thanks a million.

Tim

by IrishNYC

Easiest way from an airport to the Garden is to fly into Newark and take the AirTrain.

RE: RE: Quick Night to Madison Square Garden

by travelmad478

Newark is the best, but it is not the AirTrain you will be taking--that is the train that connects Manhattan with JFK. From Newark Airport, you take a short monorail that goes from the airport terminals to Newark Airport Rail Station, and from there you can catch either a NJ Transit train (cheap) or an Amtrak train (not as cheap) to New York's Penn Station. This is all very simple and you shouldn't have a problem figuring it out when you turn up at the airport.

New York Penn Station is literally right underneath Madison Square Garden.

As for hotels, there are dozens within walking distance. Best to do a search on some booking engine and then scout for reviews when you have some names. The Hotel Pennsylvania is right across the street from MSG, but it generally gets terrible reviews.

by 10028

Some of the WORST hotels in the city are hear Madison Square Garden. Whatever you do, avoid the Pennsylvania, the New Yorker and Carter Hotels. Here are a couple of budget hotels not far from the Garden that are well reviewed:

by devil66

Just grab a taxi. It will be not much more than the train for two, and you won't have to worry about transfers. Look at the Affinia, Bryant Park, Ritz-Carlton Central Park, or Mandarin. The last two are not walking distance, but not far at all by taxi.

Planning trip on February

by thanalik

I'm planning travel in nyc on 16/02/06.What is your opinion about Westin in TimeSquare. Also i'd like to know about few places to eat or have a drink.I'm at early 30s i dont really care about the cost,but i preffer cozy, elegant, charm places(if possible with a view), to impress my girlfrient and myself.i d like to know about the weather and the possibility of snowing by this period and if there are any smoking lover places in manhattan left.i have only 4 days any ideas how to make my plan.i dont like museums etc i preffer strange and deferent stores perhaps in soho tribeca and lot of walking. is this a sales period?...i hope somebody advice me. Thank everybody in advance

RE: Planning trip on February

by cjg1

There will be some sort of sale in the major stores for President's Day.

Food. Places that should do well for you are Frank, Zucchero e Pomodori, Artisinal. Many others. Check out chowhound.com for more specific ideas.

RE: Planning trip on February

by 10028

The hotel is nice, and I'm sure the high floors offer spectacular views. However, I think you can do better as far as charm goes. While the Westin is conveniently located near Times Square, the streets there are too congested to be charming. I don't know what your budget is, aside from your saying you don't really care about the cost. If money is no object, I think my first choice would be the elegant and romantic Carlyle Hotel on the upper east side. Or, in midtown, take a look at the Ritz Carlton Central Park, or the old classic hotels, the Pierre and the Sherry Netherland. The Mandarin Oriental is very luxurious, and the Four Seasons is pretty spectacular. Any of those would impress your girlfriend!

February is our low season, so you're likely to find the prices lower. But be prepared for some chilly weather. Can't guarantee snow, but hopefully you'll get some. My favorite place on a cold winter day is the Boathouse Restaurant in Central Park. There's a roaring fireplace that's just lovely to sit next to and enjoy a cocktail.

RE: RE: Planning trip on February

by CarolynShort

Thanks for the tip about the Boathouse.. that sounds perfect... I'm coming over at the beginning of December which I guess will also be "roaring fire & cocktails" weather...

Carolyn

RE: RE: Planning trip on February

by 10028

Though the Boathouse is more popular in warm weather, you'd still need to get there early to snag the two seats by the fireplace. Mind you, it's drinks only there; you've got to step into the dining room to eat.

Westin Times Square, Essex House, Affinia Dumont or The Muse???

by Linn04

Hello,

has anybody been staying in one of these hotels lately? I would love to get some recommendations :-)

Linn

Re: Westin Times Square, Essex House, Affinia Dumont or The Muse???

by PavlH

Stayed at the Essex House - great hotel, nice rooms, great service.
Don't bother with the Alain Ducasse restaurant though - mediocre food at a high price.

by 10028

We do corporate events at the Westin Times Square, which is a beautiful hotel less than 2 years old. The Essex House is a well known older hotel on Central Park South. Never heard of the Affinia Dumont. I think the most reliable hotel reviews are to be found on www.tripadvisor.com.

As for location, my preference would be Central Park South, making sure I had a guarantee of a park view! Times Square is probably the most popular spot for tourists, and it's certainly lively and there's lots to do right outside your door, but CPS is just prettier. Then again, there is a Ben & Jerry's ice cream store just across the street from the Westin! Both locations are excellent for transit access.

A friend stayed at the Muse a couple of years ago, it was very nice too.

Also compare reviews and rates on the popular budget hotels in the area: Belvedere, Edison, Portland Square. If you get a decent rate at the Michelangelo, you're very lucky. Others I'd recommend are: W Times Square, Crowne Plaza (they've got a swimming pool), Novotel (not quite as nice but still clean and well located, and probably a bargain).

The best beds are reputedly at the W and Westin.

by 10028

I just looked up the Affinia Dumont. I think it's in a very inconvenient area. You're tied to the #6 local subway line (which I take every day and is awful!), or slow bus service.

If you're considering other neighborhoods in Manhattan, take a look at the very nice upper west side. Hotels to look at are Lucerne, Excelsior (great location but mediocre reviews), Beacon, On the Ave, Belleclaire. Look them all up on www.tripadvisor.com.

by Linn04

thank you so much for your help and sorry for answering that late, I forgot my password :-(

I read a lot of comments now about the different Hotels locations in NY and realized that we prefer staying at a hotel at Central Park because it seems to be way more ROMANTIC for our honeymoon stay :-)

I'll open a new posting concerning our top 3 central park hotel favorites ;-) But first I have to find them...

The Muse is still an option because I found a comment that their beds are even more comfortable that the heavenly ones ;-)

Best regards,