The Standard New York

848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, New York, 10014, United States

The Standard High Line
Booking.com TabletHotels.com Jetsetter.com

• Bright star on the Hudson

Excellent food and servce. Prices are a little high, but after all it is on Manhattan.

Unique Quality: Rooms are eclectic with huge windows and glass to the floor. Much better than average. The views of south west Manhattan, the Hudson River and Jersey are top notch. Bathroom accomodations are excellent.

Directions: It is just below the meat packing district and Chelsea, however, it's New York, take a cab.

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Great location

While I've been disappointed with my stays at the Standard Hotel in Los Angeles, one thing they always seem to do right is have good locations with great bars to grab a drink. While I did not stay at the Standard in New York and only had drinks and appetizers in the Standard Grill's bar, like other Standard's, the location is superb (within walking distance of great restaurants and bars in the Meatpacking District) and the bar at the Standard Grill is a phenomenal place for a drink (a very atmospheric place for a drink on a cold winter night).

Unique Quality: Great location and restaurant/bar that is quite a scene for an after-work cocktail.

Directions: Meatpacking District

More about The Standard New York

The coolest hotel in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member visitorofworld

Stayed at The Standard last weekend and had a fantastic time.

The Building - phenomenal the way its sits over the High Line
The Location - couldn't be better for visiting Chelsea, the West Village, Tribeca and Soho.
The Lobby and Reception Staff - fantastic.
The Rooms - breathtaking views and cool fit out.

This hotel is already hot, but once the top floor restaurant/bar/nightclub, rooftop terrace and gym open it will definately be the hippest hotel in NYC!

Amazing Service

by TripAdvisor Member Havlat

The best thing about this hotel was the staff in every situation they were very friendly and accommodating. If they can keep this level of service up they will really put this hotel on the map. The location of the hotel is great, although we found some cabs had a hard time getting to the front door sometimes. The old cobblestone streets, the fantastic restaurants and bars, great shopping in the area all make it a very desirable area to be in.
The hotel won't be complete until the summer, but you can't hear or see any construction. I can only imagine how amazing this place will be when the restaurants and the high-line park are complete. The rooms are small and as others have noted the bathroom was our only complaint. Also make sure you don't get a room number that ends in .01, they are adjacent to the elevators and you can hear them coming up and down. The view from the room is amazing.
This is a great hotel and make sure you take advantage of the soft opening prices. We will be back.

Very cool, but renovations are felt

by TripAdvisor Member ABD119

Part of the hotel is still undergoing renovations, so there are some drilling and banging sounds during the day, or technicians knocking on your door in the afternoon, asking to install something, or if you dip in the bath tub overlooking a marvelous view of Manhattan, you might encounter a worker on the other side of the glass, enjoying the marvelous view of you..
But none of this really spoiled our enjoyable stay. Location is simply perfect. Staff is extremely nice. Rooms are beautiful, with the floor to ceiling glass walls providing spectacular view. We had a corner room facing north-east with view of mid-town, but it seems that the south facing rooms have a better view of the Hudson.
Bear in mind that the hotel still lacks many facilities - there is a lounge, but with no food, there are no fitness or spa facilities, but then the price is reduced until the full opening.
Definitely a fun stay

Why bother with this hotel when there are so many other choices in NYC?

by TripAdvisor Member Pasupasu

There is nothing wrong with the hotel except the rude staff. It mostly comes down from the awful manager. That's why the staff thinks it's okay with to rude to their customers as well. A really awful experience, checked out the next day. I will never return or recommend to anyone. With so many choices in New York City, why bother.

The best service EVER! And fabulous views with a free breakfast.

by TripAdvisor Member NickAgo

I'm sorry, but the service was the best I have every experienced, EVER! And trust me I have traveled to Intercontinentals, Grand Hyatts, Four Seasons, etc. The staff were unfailingly polite, helpful, and friendly. The room (we had a suite and paid $500+) was fantastic! It had views of the Hudson and the Statue of Liberty. We had 16 friends over for a party and it didn't feel crowded. Free breakfast was great and room service that I had one night (steak frites) was better than many restaurants. Oh, and free internet - one of my pet peaves with other hotels. The only minimal complaint: the cleaning staff could've done a slightly better job vacuuming. That is it!

Anything but Standard!

by TripAdvisor Member crtrwill

Stayed at The Standard at the end of a two week holiday, on the 12th floor our room had breathtaking views, so much so, on one night we chose to return to the room to look out over the downtown skyscape - from our room we could see Lady Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge sparkling at night and the Empire State building. Even when showering we were at the same height as the Gansevooft's roof deck! It doesnt get any better than this!

The fit out is edgy, as is the architecture.

On the first day we left the hotel and passed some twentysomethings on the street, I heard one of them say, "Oh [--]" I turned to see what he meant - he was talking about the hotel! That;s the impression you want this hotel has set the Standard of accommodation for our return to NYC!

New Cool in the Meatpacking District

by TripAdvisor Member Chris_Battersea

Though the hotel is still in 'soft' opening stage...if you are looking for a new cool place to stay, this is it! Forget the Gansevoort or Soho House...Andre's latest fits the bill. A purpose built stylish piece of architecture in its own right...you can't miss the 70's style over-the-highway design. Yellow doors on the corner with hip doormen mark your arrival. Plain entry hall with neat little bar off to the left...rooms are floor to ceiling windows with funky all in one bathrooms...stayed in two different types both were cool. The toiletries are plentiful and practical. The towels white and fluffy. The mini bar is built into a retro-new desk/bureau. Flat screen tv, free wireless and a free breakfast of coffee/pastry/juice brought to you by decidecly good looking staff any time from 6am..what's not to like. The location is perfect for the MP district. The concierge was really helpful and low key - never 'hyping or selling' the latest place - but rather, asking the right questions about what you want (noisy, dark, 'scene', etc). I loved the experience. A HUGE step above the all too knowing Gansevoort (long since sold out) or the dark and faux-hip 'W' experience (so cookie cutter!).

When the rooftop bar opens it will be THE place...I just hope it doesnt lose the sense of understated cool. Restaurant wasn't open when I stayed in March, but should be an advantage for room service/dining. The view over the Hudson or the Empire State is incredible at night (and day)...so, if you want a cool NY place to stay, this is the new spot.

Please Mr. B.... don't 'sell out' to the 'scene'.

New York

by Skibbe

My first trip to New York was long overdue. I had visited other great cities around the world and was sometimes asked how they compared to America's standard, New York. Finally, I got to see what all the fuss was about.

My visit was just two months before the horrible events of September 11. Seeing this city beforehand made these events sink in a little deeper. I will likely never be able to look at this picture that I took from the Ellis Island Ferry without sadness.

NY Hilton

by Pat38

I am staying at the NY Hilton and Towers in Sept. I called to make a room request and as soon as she saw I was a "Priceline" customer she became less than accomondating. I am afraid now what my experience will be once I get there. (I hear they have the Priceline rooms in the basement, next to the chamber maids rooms. LOL) Has anybody stayed there? Any experience with using Priceline at this hotel? I have stayed at 5 other hotels using Pricline and was treated just wonderful by all of them.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback
Pat

by Agraichen

Probably just a standard NY greeting from some one having a good day...LOL...Sometimes a normal conversation with a "real" NYC resident is like a shouting match in other countries. Try another call...I've not stayed at the Hiton in years but I would not worry too much. heh..my first stay was at the "Times Square Motor Hotel" for the 64 Worlds Fair...I never new the ladies saying hello as I entered had anything else in mind other than a greeting...

by Easty

There are 3 or 4 Hiltons in Manhattan alone. I went to a conference at the one on Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave) by 53rd St. I do not remember any rooms being lower than the 5th floor at this hotel. It is located at a great location. It is close to Rockerfeller Center , Radio City Music Hall, and Central Park.

by drivin67

Im sure it'll be fine, but check out the other cool places to stay , theres cool stuff in manhatten. If you get a chance travel up state along the huson river... cool mountain river views in Cold Spring and West Point. Best Wishes........

by shashasharon

Don't worry about how they will treat you..the front desk has no idea where you got your room from, thats the sales team concern, and don't worry the internet is and of itself has become quite a powerful buyer and some hotels I am sure are quite happy priceline and all the others exist..

by Easty

I have to respectfully disagree with you Sharon. Hotels do know how the reservation was made. The one hotel that I stayed at using hotels.com knew I used that service.

As for the Hilton, I'm sure they do not want bad publicity. You will get a hotel room that you will enjoy. I was impressed with the Hilton when I was there.

by shashasharon

you're right I just stayed at a hotel and they knew the reservation came from hotels.com, but I work in the business and to the front desk staff it does not change how they treat their clients..a client is a client..you are not viewed as a person looking for cheap deals on the net..hotels.com and priceline are viewed as buyers filling the htels..if you get what I mean..

by Pat38

Thanks everyone for your help. I am not going to worry...I won't be in the room much anyways. I did however, for my peace of mind emailed Hilton.com and expressed my feeling about how I was treated. Maybe when I get there they will set me up in the Penthouse. LOL
1 week from today! I am very excited!!!
Pat