The Surrey Hotel

The Surrey
Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Surrey Hotel

Checked out The Surrey for a possible future stay - nice!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Marcia2222

I just got back from 3 nights at the Ritz Carlton which I reviewed (and it was fantastic) but while I was in NYC and specifically at Central Park, I wanted to check out the Surrey for a few reasons: it is pet-friendly, near central park, and it appears to have been updated. I hate to stay someplace without seeing the room, location, and experiencing the staff. So I called the Surrey and they said they would be happy to give me a tour. I showed up on Saturday morning without an appointment and one of the people at the front desk graciously gave me a tour and showed me one of their deluxe rooms. (He also offered to show me a suite but I didn't have time and it wasn't necessary). The hotel is definitely in a quieter section of town which is a plus if that's what you're looking for, on the upper east side on a side street. It's about 1/2 avenue walk to central park and would be quieter than the end on Central Park South (it's off 5th ave at 76th). The rooms are very nice and modern just like the pictures show, very clean, and the staff seemed nice just in the short time I was there Not as "ritzy" at the Ritz (except the bathroom was comparable), but definitely as nice as the Marriott Marquis or W I have stayed at. The location at Central Park is definitely why I would stay at the Surrey next time I want to be near Central Park (especially for the convenience of walking the dogs). I would have no hesitation now that I have seen it for myself.

The Surrey is a great small luxury hotel, a welcome break from the chain hotel world.

by TripAdvisor Member LouisSullivan

The Surrey renovation is beautiful. I am an architect and developer, and what they have done is both elegant and distinctive and comfortable. The service is very good without feeling packaged or overbearing. If you need the maximum facilities that a 300 room 5 star has, then this might not be for you. For us , this kind of hotel is a huge relief from the homogenous quality that Ritz, 4 Seas, etc etc, everywhere in the world, have developed in the past few years. It reminded me of the Hotel Fuster in Barcelona in scale and style. The location is great, near upper east side museums. It offers privacy, and is run very well , apparently only 4 months after a re-opening. One can only hope they keep it at this level over time.

The Finest Hotel in New York

by TripAdvisor Member OSBayArea

I have stayed 3 times at The Surrey Hotel since its re-opneinig in late 2009 and every stays has only been better and better than my previous one.

The rooms are extremely well appointed and the service is incredible. The Pleiades bar is very intimate and room service is provided by nothing less than Cafe Boulud. Incredible!

I normally travel alone, but this coming trip in February, I am bringing my wife and my daughters and I know, they will love The Surrey just as much as I do.

richards on richards is a cool...

by frankdeuce

richards on richards is a cool club in downtown vancouver,and mirage in surrey is nice. no jeans or tanktops unless your a girl?

The Definition of New York Style and Location at its best.

by TripAdvisor Member kayfit

I stayed at The Surrey Hotel while in New York on some business and pleasure. The suite was very tastefully decorated and allowed me a space to comfortably do my work and an amazing feeling bed to lay on after a night of socializing. The service from the minute you walk in to the time you get ready to leave the door is amazing. And the location allows for great shopping and dining. Things New York is known for. It's definetly worth the money spent and would recommend anyone to treat themselves to the experience.

GREAT STAY AT A GREAT HOTEL

by TripAdvisor Member BigBrion

My wife and I visited The Surrey while enjoying a pre-Christmas weekend in New York. From the time that our taxi pulled up in front of the hotel until the sad moment when our taxi whisked us away, The Surrey proved to be one of the top hotels we have experienced in our years of travel. The accomodations are so beautifully decorated and throughtfully designed and the quality of those accomodations is only exceeded by the quality of the staff. By the way, you must have the full traditional French breakfast basket of bakery in the morning--biting into their croissants and pain au chocolat were Proustian moments and worth very calorie.

5-star service redefined! The finest hotel I have stayed in ever - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member TravelPerl

My partner and I stayed at the Surrey for three days, from January 5-9, for a business and leisure in NYC. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we left this new and sophisticated property, we were treated with a lot of care and personal touch. The service at this hotel is unbeatable. Just an example: as I was about to go out for a walk, I was interested to find out a bit more about the story of the hotel, and here is how my trip started...the person who I accidentally choose to ask, Steve, who happened to be the Front Office Manager, kindly offered me to give me a tour of the property. I accepted. The tour was one of a kind, very detailed, passionate about every single amenity of the room, and very explanatory. They style of the hotel is very chic! The rooms of the hotel are incredibly BIG and specious! I don’t have enough words to describe the beauty of the hotel
The Surrey is the hotel that every other should try to emulate and I'm afraid to say has made me even more of a hotel snob than I used to be!

Best hotel experience in NYC - Simply Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member ZSchwartz

Though I often check trip advisor for hotel and travel recommendations I have never actually taken the time to write a review. However, the fabulous experience at this NYC hotel over valentines day weekend prompted me to make sure that people know that this hotel is quite possibly one of the best hotels that I or my partner has stayed at. (though i fear that by writing this review too many people will know about it and we might not be able to get another reservation!) Both of us are frequent travelers to destinations all over the world and have stayed at some of the finest hotels. The Surrey is definitely right up there.

The service was excellent without being overbearing. From the moment we walked in we were greeted by friendly smiles, warm towels, and champagne. Our flight arrived in NYC late and we got to the hotel at 7:30pm with theater tickets for 8pm. Before we had even finished checking in Michael (the concierge) overheard that we were late and arranged for the hotel car to whisk us to the play on time! We didn't even have time to check our room. Upon return to the hotel we went to our room, bags waiting. The room was beautiful and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was immaculate, the room was clean, the linens were amazing, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Overall one of the best hotel experiences I have had.

It is apparent from the level of service, cleanliness, and overall appearance of the hotel that the GM Spencer Wadama runs a tight ship. I had actually booked another hotel for my NYC stay however, I wanted to make sure that my valentines weekend nyc trip was very special. After exchanging a couple of emails with Spencer i was convinced that The Surrey was the place. I was not disappointed and I could tell he had a personal hand in my stay.

Thank you Surrey and thank you Spencer for a wonderful NYC Vacation.
I will be seeing you again soon.

Beautiful and intimate feel

by TripAdvisor Member travelchikATL

The hotel is beautifully decorated in understated shades of black, white and gray that give it a cozy but chic feel. The hotel is small enough that you receive wonderful attention from the staff - we received a personal welcome call once we were settled in the room which was much appreciated. The Bar Pleiades is a cozy place to have a drink. The concierge was very helpful in securing last-minute dinner reservations. The rooms were sparkling clean and all the furnishings felt very new. Despite being in the middle of the Upper East Side, the hotel was extremely quiet and you never got the sense you're in a big city. Wonderful value for the area!!

Unexpected gem

by TripAdvisor Member jhealer

Our family's trip to New York was memorable not only because of the sightseeing we did, but because at the end of the day, we had a great place to sleep. To luck into a hotel in Manhattan having a suite larger than Embassy Suites was icing on the cake. The hotel was settled between Central Park and Madison Ave, proximity to the #7/Green Line was tolerable, and the staff (especially Felipe, the doorman) was very friendly.

On our return trips, we will be looking to stay here again.

Moving from UK to USA - advice please?!

by benson_chick

Has anyone ever lived in the UK and moved to USA? If you have can you give me some advice on where to start please!!!

I'm engaged to be married to my fiance (obviously) who lives in Arizona (he's American), and I know that I have to apply for a fiance visa. But that's about it really!! I'm so nervous about leaving my whole life and everything I know behind me. I've never moved out of Liverpool before!

If someone has been through this, could we chat about your experiences? That would be great!

Thanks! Andrea.

by spartan

Hi,

A great source of information would be fellow VT'er Carnation...she lived in England and has married an American and moved to Seattle, Washington.

Sincerely,

Spartan

by dshinkle

I know that HeidiR did and had some info on her site about it. In fact she moved to Phoenix, Arizona.

Re: Re: Moving from UK to USA - advice please?!

by zuriga

I changed locations but the reverse of you... NY to Surrey. I'm sure you've visited Arizona and seen what life is like there.. very nice! Everything will seem like a bargain and you'll love the weather. Enjoy the adventure!

by Kazeneko

You'll be fine! Just be openminded get to know people , when you get there try to find the same things as at home as far as sports etc...
It is different sure but though you will miss your friends and family you will make new friends , build a new life! Just think of it this way.... if you really want to go see your family you are there in about 15 hours.....
Dont worry just take it as it comes and enjoy it. It will take some getting used to but the Yanks will love you cause you have a "cute" accent hahah
aloha
karin

Re: Re: Moving from UK to USA - advice please?!

by dshinkle

Haha, I think you will be in shock moving to the Arizona heat and with how different things are from the UK. I love it and I love the heat, but it will take some getting used to.

American Civil War Tour

by Wings2Fly

I live in London and my husband and I would like to do an American Civil War sites tour next year, probably of about two weeks duration. Anybody out there who can recommend a good "upper-end" tour company. We are interested in ones who provide good historial talks and explanations as well as comprehensive site tours. We realise we cannot do the entire trail but would like to find out what is available.
Thanks
Lee Cousins aka wings2fly

by oisha

Sorry I have only one tip for you on this topic: whatever you do, don't read Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent" before you go. Save it for when you get back!

by zuriga

Since there are so many states involved, I'm not sure if one company goes to all the main locations. Have you tried Googling to see what's listed there? I know there is one man who does tours but they're only 1-2 days long. Good luck!

Northern Yankee in Surrey

by Wings2Fly

Thanks for your reply - i have tried googling, msning, askingjeevesing, etc. VT is my last hope. Being an American in London, I do know that there are numerous states involved but I would like to see what is available. There must be somebody!!!
LC

by Wings2Fly

Thanks - i see u r from upstate new york. i was born in granville in washington county.

by zuriga

Two Americans in the UK! I grew up in Philadelphia but lived most of my life in Westchester County. To me 'upstate' is Buffalo or Rochester but lots of people think of Westchester as 'up,' and I guess it is. :-)

You could try the Flyer Talk website if you don't know that one. People there seem very in the know.

You must live near a friend of mine who's in St. Alban's. I've only been here a year or so, but it's feeling like home. Let me know what you find out.

by princessdorrie

there are several battlefield re-enactment clubs in the u.s. I would start with a search of their events, and then pick (if you wish) to do that town on that date. set your trip dates and then pick a step-on guide from that city using the chamber of commerce. they will do a personalized tour in your car or theirs. I know of no company that covers the entire south in a tour, either by bus or agent. I live in Lexingtion, ky and we have some very good companies here, and if you want to e-mail me I can give you some names and numbers. we have perryville, and several other sites. happy travels

SUITS YOU SIR

Hi Guys

Any recommendations for where to buy suits in manhattan. Only over for 3 days but need to get 2 x Oceans 11 "Brad" style suits for my wedding.

Also whats the most imprressive club, I was gonna check out The Webster Hall??

Many thanks

Bats

Re: SUITS YOU SIR

Dear Batman,

I guess a 'costume' shop wouldn't be appropriate for your wedding. I'm not sure how much you want to spend for your suit(s), but Saks Fifth Ave. has a terrific men's department.. even better than Marks and Sparks. There are cheaper places like Men's Warehouse and there are the old reliables like Brooks Brothers and Paul Stuart.

I'll try to visit your diner next time I'm in Oxford.

zuriga

Hi Zuriga

Thanks for those, and yes unfornunatley my good lady won't let me dress up!

Anytime your in Oxford please call in burger on the house

Cheers

Batman

Hi Bat,

Send me the name of your diner. I'm moving permanently to Surrey but get north once in awhile. I sure do miss burgers and a few other items. Do you serve American pancakes and that sort of grub?

zur

by TempNomad

Another great suit place is ROTHMAN'S in Union Square. It's on the north side of the square on the east side corner. They do lovely suits. (Kwame from The Apprentice got suits there, apparently.)

I wouldn't suggest Webster Hall. Perhaps some of the jazz clubs or other places in the Village would be better. Check out www.villagevoice.com for other ideas.

by Batman2004

My Restaurant is Maxwell's, in Oxford.

We are true to our American roots and do serve waffels, pancakes, ribs and chicken.

Would be great to see you

Comments