The Time Hotel

barcelonaplaya's Profile Photo

Good location, bad organisation

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2007

Well, we spent 11 nights in the Time Hotel in may 2007, so I may say that we had time to figure it out.
The reception and organisation of this rather new hotel is far but American ... after check-in (the receptionist complaining of how much work they have - although we were the only ones checking in ..) they gave us a standard room (tiny!) although it was clearly marked that we had paid extra for a kingsize bed ...ok we call from the room to ask another room and to check our reservation - no worries, somebody will come up immediately ...so we waited for 20 minutes - nada. We go down to the desk, explain the problem again, ok so we have to go up to another floor and wait there. We do that, wait another 20 minutes, nobody shows up ... back to the reception ...until finally we got our key...
The room is tiny but clean and modern. The windows open but the huge airconditioning machines on the roof of the building in front makes it impossible to enjoy fresh air (noise!).
Defenitely not enough storage room for more than 1 small suitcase. Bed and bathroom are excellent.
In the morning we went for breakfast in the hotelbar - not fresh and very amateur (apparently they were still constructing the real dining room..) we left asap to another place around the corner.
What really surprised us about the management is the way they use the 2 (only 2) elevators for the whole hotel. All cleaning personnel, deliveries, garbage, towels and sheets will go up and down with the costumers. Therefor you often cannot enter the elevator full of bags, garbage, etc. and the waiting time is considerable.
For a new hotel we found this a very strange organisation.

Unique Quality: The very best of this hotel :
a) the location
b) it is new and clean

Directions: Time Square

morgane1692's Profile Photo

a very high coolness factor, here

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2004

If Derek Zoolander and Dieter from SNL's Sprockets needed a midtown hotel, this would be the one. Very hip and modern, from the 2nd floor reception area where the agents wear black t-shirts, to the chrome and mirrors everywhere. Then you arrive at your room. One of the primary colors, blue, yellow, or red, is the theme. I picked blue and you can see, the bed just screams cobalt. You can leave your shampoo and soaps at home, the bathroom here is well-stocked with everything you need. And then some: q-tips and magazines, too. The funky coffee maker has Wolfgang Puck coffee in stock, no generic stuff for you this time, yeayyy. The posted check-in time is 3p, but when I arrived at 1p, the front desk girl had a blue room ready but it was a smoking room, she warned. Hmmmm, I really wanted to check in, change clothes and head downtown with friends, so I gave it a shot. Eureka! They have a special air freshener program here, and I never even knew I was in anything but a non-smoking room. (Check all the discount hotel-booking websites for the best rates. I used Travelocity.)

Unique Quality: Well, the hotel faces W 49th Street, so there aren't any Central Park views. But I was on the 8th floor so I could get a peek at Broadway, just one block to the east. Not to mention, I was directly across the street from Chicago. ;-))) You're still in the heart of the theatre district here, but you don't have the hundreds of people jammed out on the sidewalks in front of your door with hawkers and musicians and screaming sirens that the Times Sq hotel residents do. Lucky you. Don't worry, you're a couple blocks away from the subway lines, giving you easy access to the rest of the City.

Directions: Just a block west of Broadway!

cjg1's Profile Photo

Hotels. Style beyond me

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 8, 2003

The rooms here are done in a different color for each room. My sister had a red room. Too weird for me but to each their own. Such is the style of the new boutique type hotels that are springing up around the world and the city.

Unique Quality: The bar and lounge in this hotel is quite the good time and I highly recommend it to anyone whether you are staying at the hotel or not. I do and have frequented it for different periods of time.

Directions: 49th street and 8th ave

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Embassy Suites Hotel New York City
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews