The Waldorf Astoria

Waldorf Astoria New York
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Worst Customer Service Ever!

I recently scheduled a trip to New York for vacation. I'm pregnant and wanted to get away one last time before I become a first-time mom. I became extremely ill with a vitrus before my scheduled trip and had to cancel late notice. My $2,000 reservation was charged to my card and was not refunded in the form of a reimbursement or credit to stay another time. Even with a note from my doctor stating that I was under doctor care at that time, the Waldorf refused to work with me.

I understand hotels have policies in place, but under the circumstances I feel there should have been some leniency. I was incredibly disappointed that not only did I not get to take my vacation, but I'm out $2,000 for a stay I never took. This is incredibly bad customer service.

• Lack of Exceptions

I have not yet stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria but have a reservation for 02/06/2010 and would like to warn those individuals who book a room on line to fully read and understand the cancellation policy prior to booking. We are currently predicted to get 5"-30" of snow in our area. We live in an area where snow is very uncommon and this is predicted to be the worst storm ever. We called Waldorf-Astoria and explained this to them and they refused to cancel our reservation or let us reschedule for another date. I think this is appalling that there are absolutely no exceptions to this policy, especially when this storm has been widely broadcast and is even due to hit New York City hard. We had every intention of going and fulfilling this reservation when it was made in January. We are going to venture to New York City so we do not lose our money but I think this policy should be reviewed and I pray that my family and I arrive safe.

• HELEN's Profile Photo

Convenient Luxury

This hotel is located in the best location, Midtown, which makes it easy to get around. You are walking distance to shopping, central park , empire state building, times square, Rockefeller plaza, etc. It's very elegant and classy. The rooms were very spacious and the beds were very comfortable.

Unique Quality: They have a famous all you can eat Sunday brunch that is set up in the lobby, just walking by it makes your mouth water. They have everything from fruit to omelets to crepes to lobster tails to chocolate fondue fountain. It's a bit pricey, $96 per person, but it looks delicious.

Directions: Midtown

• zanne08's Profile Photo

5 Star Hotel

Unique Quality: Waldorf-Astoria Hotel is a famously luxurious hotel in New York. It has been housed in two

historic landmark buildings in New York City.

The first, designed by architect Henry J. Hardenbergh, was on the Fifth Avenue site of the Empire

State Building. The present building at 301 Park Avenue in Manhattan is a 47 storey, 625 ft. (191

m) Art Deco landmark, designed by architects Schultze and Weaver and dating from 1931. The

hotel is the flagship of the Waldorf-Astoria Collection, a chain of upscale hotels spun out of the

Hilton Hotels and Conrad Hotels chains, as well as some new hotels.

The name, Waldorf=Astoria, now officially appears with a double hyphen, but originally the single

hyphen was employed, as recalled by a popular expression and song, "Meet Me at the Hyphen."

The modern hotel has three American and classic European restaurants, and a beauty parlor

located off the main lobby.

Several luxurious boutiques surround the distinctive lobby, which has won awards for its

restoration to the original period character. An even more luxurious, virtual "hotel within a hotel"

in its upper section is known as The Waldorf Towers operated by Conrad Hotels & Resorts.

The hotel has its own railway platform as part of Grand Central Terminal, used by Franklin D.

Roosevelt, Adlai Stevenson, and Douglas MacArthur, among others.

An elevator large enough for Franklin D. Roosevelt's car provides access to the platform

The hotel's name with a single hyphen is engraved and gilded over the entrance. Hotel facts and

statistics Location 301 Park Avenue

New York City, New York Opening date 1893 (Waldorf Hotel)

1897 (Astoria Hotel) Management The Waldorf=Astoria Collection Owner Hilton Hotels

Corporation No. of floors 47

• Fantastic accommodations

Stayed in a "Grand One Bedroom Suite" in the Waldorf-Astoria, in a section called the Waldorf Towers (the towers has its own private elevator and a hotel representative excorts you to your suite.) Absolutely huge, huge living room with fireplace and desk/office area with fax machine, etc, a huge dining room that sits 12 and also has a full-size marble fireplace, a large kitchen with commercial-sized refrigerator, dishwasher and full stove/oven, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a full-sized dressing room with wall of mirrors, and an extra room for ?? Guests of the Towers have their own bar/club room for afternoon tea, sandwishes, snacks and drinks, on a separate floor within the tower area.
    Price range for a Grand One-Bedroom Suite - $5,000-$15,000 per night.

• ShonaM's Profile Photo

pricey room service

I stayed here for a few nights in 2004 and I thought it was quite over-rated. The lobby is very grand indeed, but the rooms weren't that special and the gym was pretty poky and had views onto concrete walls! Plus we arrived after midnight and ordered a couple of things from room service and were charged over $100 for three hot chocolates, one bowl of soup and one plate of fries! No joke! They added loads of extra charges on because it was after midnight. The staff weren't very friendly either. It was an experience being here, and teh location was great, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Elegant hotel, mediocre accommodation

The old dame of New York lives up to its name as one of the most celebrated classical hotel in the city. The lobby and tea room with its grand piano is a must if you are traveling to NYC.
    Sir Harry's bar is also a favourite of mine for late night martini's.

However, I wasn't impressed by the quality of the accommodation. First of all, I understand that this is an old building. However, when you are charging me $310/night I care about the small things.
    My first complaint was that the shower pressure was not good; then the cleaning staff always forget to replenish my mouthwash and shampoo; I was also unlucky that during my stay, the fire alarm constantly went off (like 5-6 times / night); but what really upset me was how rude the cleaning staff was.
    I was sick for 2 days of my trip, so I needed to stay in during the day to sleep and put my 'do not disturb' note on my door. The cleaning lady had the nerve to call and barked at me asking what time I was planning to leave the room so she can come and clean it. I'm sorry but in my mind 'do not disturb' means clearly that one doesn't want to be disturb.

When you are in NYC, come visit the Waldorf for tea, or a martini, or the Sunday brunch. But take your money and sleep elsewhere.

Unique Quality: This hotel is a historic landmark, the setting of Al Pacino's famous movie "Scent of a woman" and is located on what in my opinion is the most beautiful street in Manhattan, the Park Avenue.

Directions: Park Avenue / East 49th (Midtown East)

• Flem2002's Profile Photo

Swanky but creaky!

We fancied bit of class to our stay in 2005 and managed to get a good deal at the Waldorf Astoria. The "standard room" was huge, with a little dressing room, bathroom, sofa and two double beds. However, the decor was still lingering in the 1930s, and furniture heavy wooden and like something from my Gran's home.

The restaurant - Oscars - on one corner of the hotel (open to Non residents) served up quality breakfasts at a price you'd expect from the Waldorf, and the bar served fantastic Tiramisu cocktails.

It was a great opportunity to live like a snob for a few days, but I wouldn't want to go back, as this hotel was basking too much in the olden days for my liking. I couldn't fault the service though, even if the lift door could be vicious!

Unique Quality: Its facade is very impressive, and at Christmas time the lobby is decorated very festively!
    There is also now a Starbucks located in the basement.

Directions: The hotel takes up the entire block between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue at 50th Street. Handy for 5th Ave posh shops, Central Park and Rockefeller Plaza.

• kucha's Profile Photo

History in Midtown

The public rooms of this historic hotel are beautiful, and often the site of corporate and bank meetings, but the rooms are small and lacking in charm. Still, unless one is on an unlimited budget, safe and convenient hotels that could cost less than $200 a night (depending on how far in advance one books) are hard to come by in New York.

Unique Quality: The hotel is conveniently located on Park Avenue, within walking distance of many of New York's most popular attractions including Times Square, Rockefeller Center and the theatre district.

In 1896, when the original Waldorf was three years old, Harper's Bazaar decreed it "the fashion of New York, the Mecca of visitors from many nations," and said that "nowhere else in the world has any hotel come to play so important a part in the social life of a great city." The current hotel opened on October 1, 1931 as the world’s largest and tallest hotel, a veritable city-within-a-city. Today it remains one of the world’s largest Art Deco buildings. The hotel -- now owned by the Hilton group -- has had visits by European crown princes, American oil barons and leading stage and screen personalities over the years, as well as played host to fancy evening affairs where New York society was entertained!

There is a great, classic bar and eatery in the lower (Lexignton Avenue) level of this hotel -- called the Bull and the Bear. A beautiful mahogany bar, good steaks and the best martini in the city can be found here!

Directions: Midtown East

• Eugenetheduck's Profile Photo

Not all it's hyped up to be

Wouldn't stay there again - we were there 15 days. Firstly, we arrived around dinner after flying 23 hours from Australia, so we ordered a cheese Pizza...it cost USD$100 - it was nothing special at all, cheese and tomato paste. Secondly, it was noisy all hours of the night - and we were on the 34th floor. Thirdly, there was secret service men in the elevators some days, which did not make us feel very comfortable! Police barricading the doors another night with protestors outside til 3pm! Other days some of the entrances were closed for filming a movie!
    Did not find the staff helpful.

Unique Quality: Foyer was beautiful.

Nice furnishings.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Big Apple Elegance

This is THE place for a special visit to NY. Unfortunately the rooms come in a large variety of sizes and configurations, so it is possible to get a small room with a view of the exhaust fans. But by the same token I've gotten a room with 2 double beds, a drawing room and a bathroom overlooking Park Ave! It helps if you have elite status with the Hilton Honors program.

Unique Quality: The entryway has a beautiful mosaic floor and a piano that was played regularly by Cole Porter. The restaurants are excellent, even by tough NY standards. And many of the staff are truly friendly, which doesn't happen all the time in New York City.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Deluxe and world famous

Nope, I've never stayed here, but last time I was in NYC, one of my good friends and his wife stayed here. I met them at the hotel and as I waited for them to arrive (they were coming from across town via cab), I sat in the lobby on the Park Avenue side and in 20 minutes, I saw three celebrities! The public areas are very nice. You can enter from Park or Lexington and explore shops, the restaurants and the reception area, along with the lobby.

When my friends arrived, I was able to go upstairs and check out one of the rooms (the most basic offered here). It was spacious and had a fax machine, internet access, and a comfortable bed. Room rates start as low as $300.

Unique Quality: Check out the website below for details.

Directions: 49th and Park

• "OK"

Overall stay was adequate. Room was OK and comfortable, but nothing out of the ordinary. The furniture might be a tad better than a holiday inn and there used to be a gas burning fireplace that had been filled in. Other than that, it was "just a room."

Note that extras such as the mini-bar and the bar downstairs are very steeply priced. Think five times the price of a Coke than from a street vendor.

Unique Quality: The lobby is neat.

Directions: East of Rockefeller Center

• NewcastleGeordieGirl's Profile Photo

Pure Luxury without Snobbery!

We stayed here for 6 nights on our honeymoon, the first 2 nights in a standard room and the last 4 in a king size suite. The staff were fabulous, the rooms were exquisite. Couldnt fault it in anyway. Very highly recommended. The price may be a bit high but worth every penny.

Unique Quality: The general atmosphere as you walked in was one of calm! after busy Park Avenue it was bliss walking into the beautifully a/c lobby with the gorgeous scent of lilies to greet you.

Directions: Cant miss it, a historial landmark just near to the Met Life building

• New York's Finest

We stayed at the Waldorf to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. From the minute we stepped through the door we had one good experience after another. We booked a suite for two nights and when we checked in they told us that we have been upgraded to a luxury suite. Wow, what a room! It was bigger than most apartments. The only problem is that it will be very hard for us to stay anywhere else after staying here. We would definately recommend the Waldorf.

Unique Quality: Our room was outstanding. It had a huge marble entry with double doors. A small full kitchen with mini bar. A large living room with fireplace. The bedroom was beautiful. And the dressing room and bathroom is beyond words. We felt like we were staying at one of the Newport Mansions! We were on the corner so there were lots of windows. We had the best view all the way up Park Avenue. Amazing! (Notice picture). The first night dinner was at one of the great restaurants in the Hotel. Bull and Bear.

Directions: Very close to Madison and 5th Avenue shopping.

More about The Waldorf Astoria

waldorf astoriawaldorf astoria

Waldorf Astoria hotelWaldorf Astoria hotel

Lobby, Waldorf-Astoria HotelLobby, Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

Banquet room, Waldorf-Astoria HotelBanquet room, Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

Waldorf Astoria, New York

by brianmayday50

I am going the Waldorf Astoria Hotel on Saturday and would like people's views and experiences of staying there.

Is it expensive

Are the rooms good

What is it like at night there, entertainment wise?

RE: Waldorf Astoria, New York

by TexasDave

I've stayed at the Waldorf AStoria several times. While it is more expensive than your average US hotel, considering it's in NYC it's in line with a lot of the upper class hotels in Manhattan (depending on availibility, from $250 up). The size or style of the rooms runs the gamut. You might get a small room with a window looking out over the inside courtyard (no view). You might get a junior suite overlooking Park Ave. There's not a lot of entertainment inthe hotel proper, other than someone playing the piano in the foyer or at one of the bars. They have a piano in the front lobby that once belonged to Cole Porter! Staying at the Waldorf AStoria is all about the elegance and history of the 30's and 40's.

RE: Waldorf Astoria, New York

by FreezOrBurn

I work right next to it. I never stayed there but I pass the Building every day.

The hotel is close to Grand Central Station so there is no need to take a taxi. And there are many sites to see in walking distance.

IE Hemsley building, Rockefeller center, st Patrick cathedral.

Very expensive from what I understand but also one of the best. There are plenty of other hotels in the same area just not as well known so do your Homework.

Oh and if you like Beer Don’t miss a trip Down to South Street Sea port and go to Jeremy's Ale House. Great prices and big cups! Popular hang out for locals.

If in Midtown on the east side go to a bar called "Snafu" on a Thursday

• Dec 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM

My Family & I recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Ave in New York City. We actually only stayed a few hours due to terriable customer service. When we arrived we were told our double bed room would not be ready for a few more hours & was asked to leave a contact number. I said no way. We just flew in & have no where to go with our luggage. They found my family of three a king bed room. I agreed, even though 3 people in 1 bed did was not satisfactory. As I looked around at every counters, the other guests were complaning of similar issues. By 8pm we were all really tired & tryed to relax. Teenagers were screaming in the halls running up & down the halls. The room next to ours was filled with 20-30 teenagers partying, drunk kids in & out of the room, music blarring. We complained to the front desk, the concerige, security & the Manager. Nothing was done. We left shortly before midnight in an unfamiliar city to find a different Hotel. The manager said we would not be charged, but since then a there was a charge on my credit card, which I am in the process of fighting. Carlos at the Hampton Inn is awesome & made us feel like home. I feel so dumb for ever booking a room at the Waldorf. The Hotel in person is run down & out dated. The staff are stuffy, heartless, poor customer service.

• Dec 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM