212 E 42nd St, New York City, New York, 10017, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• klj&a's Profile Photo

New York Helmsley Hotel

I had a great experience hear. The room was spacious for a NY hotel, it had a flat screen TV and free WiFi. The service was top notch from the front desk to the bell hop to the cleaning personnel. The only complaint I have was that the room would get unusally hot no matter how low I would put the tempature. There is a great little place I ate breakfast at every morning right next door to the hotel. It's called Pax and it's right to the left of the entrance to the hotel. Some minor things missing were a coffee maker and refrigerator, but like I said it's very minor. There are some great views of the Chrysler Building also.

Unique Quality: Close to Grand Central Station. Flat Screen TV, Free WiFi.

Directions: 42nd & 3rd

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Great stay & "quiet" location

The New York Helmsley is a 10-min walk from Grand Central Station on 42nd Street and away from the hustle & bustle of Times Square yet close enough to most attractions & subway. It's also pretty "affordable" for a 4-star hotel in Midtown.

The front desk greeted me and upgraded me to a room with 2 double beds & view of 42nd Street. The room was spacious enough to fit 2 double beds and had complimentary wireless internet that occasionally worked. Room decor looks a little outdated but nevertheless clean & comfortable.

Even though breakfast wasn't included in the room rate, there's a pretty good deli (Pax World) next door. If you return to the hotel after 10pm, their security will ask for your room key before you get to the elevator to check if you're a guest. It's a bit of an inconvenience but I'm glad they make the checks.

The New York Helmsley is value for money in a good location and I wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

Unique Quality: It's located on the corner of 42nd & 3rd Ave and walking distance to the United Nations, Chrysler Building & Grand Central Station. Times Square, Empire State Building & Bryant Park are a little further away

Directions: Just 5-min from the Chrysler Building on 42nd Street

• westy79's Profile Photo

Great Hotel and Location

On arriving at the hotel we found the lobby to be very nice and had a cosmopolitan feel about the whole place. We were greeted by very friendly staff who made our stay very enjoyable. There was also free fresh apples!!! All our bags were taken to our room by a very strong bellboy who refused to let us carry any of our luggage. He was very helpful giving us good hints and tips about general New York City living. Our room was a nice size with 2 double beds and it was extremely clean throughout. We had a huge window with a great view of the Empire State building which was lovely to look at throughout our stay.
    We never dined at the hotel but wished we had. The location was fantastic and our stay was wonderful and memorable. We would definately stay there again

Unique Quality: Excellent Location

Great View Of The Empire State Building From Our Room

Affordable And Friendly

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

A Room with a View

Upscale bad taste. We were there because it was the hotel for my husband's conference.
    The best part was that we could see the Empire State Building from our room.

Directions: Just a hop, skip and a jump from either Grand Central Station or the United Nations.

More about The New York Helmsley

The Daily Planet Globe from Superman

by westy79

Any fans from the original Superman movie will remember the big planet Earth globe in the lobby at the Daily Planet. My girlfriend pointed out that The Daily News building was actually next door to our hotel, The New York Helmsley. When we walked into the lobby we saw the big globe and it brought back many childhood memories from watching the late Christopher Reeve play Superman. We had many photos taken by it and it was a memorable part of my trip.

If you love Superman pop into the Daily News building

Top notch security and free coffee

by TripAdvisor Member Restal

Just returned from a 2 day business trip to New York. Got a good rate for the New York Helmsley on the web. Found the hotel to be great value. The free morning coffee in the lobby was a god send.

Given the heightened state of security it was good to find the hotel taking things seriously with key checks before you could go up to guest rooms.

Staff were really great and the service exceptional. Got a some really good restaurant recommendations.

Slight downs were that the room was dark and the a/c a bit noisy. The bathroom however was A+. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

Outdated and unclean

by TripAdvisor Member kit444

My Mom and I stayed at the New York Helmsley in July and were horrified by the outdated conditions of the room. I don't think the carpet or bedding has been changed in over 25 years. Everything was threadbare -- including the sheets and shower curtain (both complete with tears!). On the first night, I opened my covers to find dried blood on the sheets. I had to call room service 3 times and wait over one hour (till 11:30 pm) to have them come change them. Disgusting. There were cigarette burns and stains on the carpet (it was a non-smoking room).

Hotel is Now Under Other Management

by CdnJane about was The Helmsley Palace

It was 1982 and my cousin and I were making our first trip to the Big Apple. This seemed to be a nice hotel in a nice area. Well we were right about one thing - it was a lovely hotel. Appeared to be a lot of business people staying here. It was kitty-corners to the Waldorf Astoria... and places that we had grown up hearing about. The problem was, when the offices and the nice shops closed, the people went home (or to their nice hotels) and the streets were empty and rather spooky for 2 young ladies from rural Ontario. It was a bad choice for us that way, and while we got a great travel deal on the hotel, it was pretty pricey for eating in. Fortunately down the block we found a place called, I think, Brew 'n Burger, where we could get a reasonable meal. We found a deli/coffee shop on another block where we got a great breakfast for peanuts.
The hotel was lovely, and we did splurge on one great dinner in the dining room. However, it was not a great hotel for those who preferred jeans, and sneakers, on the weekend - without feeling out of place!

Definitely Recommend!!

After using this site to help me choose the Helmsley I think it only fair write I should write a review myself. We stayed for a week (Sep 11-18) and had a very pleasant stay. We requested a room with a view and were put in a very nice 27th floor room with a clear view of the Empire State building, which looked spectacular at night. The rooms were large with all usual amenities. The only thing wrong was that the whole place needs to be decorated, as the walls were a little shabby and the decor very dated. But this is just a minor thing. Location is great 5 mins walk to Grand Central and the Staff friendly. Some advice - steer clear of the hotel bar - its super expensive - I got ripped of $29 for a double vodka sprite!!! Otherwise I'd recommend!!

Fantastic stay

by TripAdvisor Member Annie100

This is the third year I have stayed at the Helmsley and would highly recommend this hotel. It has a fantastic location, with easy transport links right outside the door almost. Lovely fluffy bathtowels and very clean large rooms with nice decor. I asked for a fridge and it was with me almost immediately. I asked for some assistance with what i thought was a broken light and someone was up within 5 minutes showing me how switches worked (very pleasant young man). It seems to have consistently high standards, everyone is very friendly and helpful in spite of the hotel being very busy. Check in and out has been immediate. I cannot ever find anything to ever complain about in this hotel.

Helmsley BuildingHelmsley Building

Room with a view!!

by westy79

Hi everyone, this is my first post. i live in the United Kingdom and last year me and my girlfriend went to New York for our holiday and had a fabulous time and cant wait to go back. We stopped at the New York Helmsley 42nd street and our room had a view of The Empire State Building. This view made our holiday even more complete. We are going again this year but want to stay in a different hotel. Can anyone advise on what hotels have the best views of the city,We cant afford to stay in the Plaza or Mandarin but a 3 or 4 star hotel is fine. A view of the empire state or chrysler building would be great.

Hope you can help

I Love NY

RE: Room with a view!!

by devil66

How about the Millennium UN Plaza Hotel...

Here's an article on NY hotels with good views

RE: Room with a view!!

by nickro

i stayed at the Hudson last summer.It is an Ian Schreager hotel. They have a roof terrace on the 15th floor which is absolutely amazing - only available to guests they have a bar up there and you can get views all over manhattan and across the hudson to New Jersey. Fron here you can see all of the city's big buildings.

The hudson is a classy hotel - not quite the mandarin oriental but may be pricey still? worth seeing if you can get a deal though - the terrace is worth it.

by westy79

thanks for the reply, is it only the terrace that has the great views or do the rooms have good views too.

by westy79

thanks for the reply, the site was very helpful.

by devil66

You can often get a very good deal on the Hudson. re: the rooms, I don't know what they are like...

Comments