United Nations Suites

Hotels.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Poor

Good For No Data

More about New York City

Martha Stewart taking Qs after a show tapingMartha Stewart taking Qs after a show taping

messagemessage

rock center caferock center cafe

whoawhoa

hehe Me again:0) Last few tips/advice

by KellyNY

Hi All,
With just over 5 weeks to go, woohooooo! I am getting together a planner of the places we would like to visit... I am making a note of the locations/addresses etc... We are only in NYC for 5 days/4 nights, so want to see the most we can!

Any last minute recommendations for places to go? Must-sees? Etc? I can then look the ideas up and make a note of them!

Thanks again for any help/advice you can give me!

Kelly

P.s I can't wait until I can tell you all about our time in NEW YORK! x

by lynnehamman

I recommend that you don't miss visiting Ellis Island. I found this to be an incredibly moving experience.
Details on my NY page.

by KellyNY

Thank you, yes hoping to see Ellis Island statue of Liberty. Read your pages! They are fab and offer so much info. Thank you for sharing. x

by TexasDave

Without knowing what you have already covered and what your interests are, that's a difficult question to tackle. Many of us have NYC pages full of suggestions- have you looked at the 'off the beaten path' section? NYC is full of that type of places.

by clunker

Take a an hour(at least) or so to stroll through Central Park. Maybe a Hansome cab ride while you're there.

Save one afternoon or evening to just do whatever. People watch, walk around without an itinerary, go with the flow. Relax and enjoy yourselves, you can always come back(and you probably will!), NYC isn't going anywhere. We find we usually enjoy doing this on our trips as much, if not more than, anything else.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Travel Tips for New York City

Gratuities are a fact of life...live with it.

by Odinnthor

Like it, don't like it, but learn to live with it. Gratuities are a way of life. Save money on the big stuff, not the small stuff. Tips are small stuff. Generally tip more than average, but not extravagantly. Yes, budget hotel maids only do the basics, but I have always found that when you take care of them, they will take care of you. Consider that they are lucky if they earn minimum wage. Most amateur travellers simply do not tip maids, - so when you do, you become special to them. If you stay for any length of time you will really feel their additional services, - such as fresh new bedcover etc. = not to mention genuine smiles of recognition. Consider the overall savings in the long run with cabdrivers. If I need a cab more than once I always give a nice tip and ask for his card, and ask him if I can call him first. Yes, even in New York, they just might surprise you. I tought this to my now ex-wife (but good friend). She and her sister went to Washington D.C. for Obama's inauguration. Imagine the chaos. Following my advice, she had a personal cab driver/guide for the entire stay. He even invited them to share dinner with his family. Oh, and the cost was overall less than seperate cabs at full price, and minus the exasperation of attempting to secure any cabs in D.C. at that time. As my page tagline says: "Don't sweat the small stuff" New Yourk has great diversity and great food.

Save time. Buy Empire State tix on the internet!

by pchamlis

Bonnie and I actually enjoyed our visit to the Empire State Building. Observing the Big Apple from atop the 86th floor observatory at the Empire State Building is awe-inspiring.

But, you will not be alone. Quite a few people are interested in enjoying this classic NYC tourist stop. The line(s) to purchase tickets can be astronomically long. We were LUCKY to only be in line some 90 minutes to GET tickets. (Remember, there are two steps leading to the 86th floor....getting tickets and then getting to the elevator.) There is, happily, a way to speed the process.

BUY YOUR EMPIRE STATE BUILDING ADMISSION TICKETS ONLINE! This can be accomplished easily at

www.esbnyc.com

They will either send your tickets to your doorstep, or you can print them out yourself, assuming you don't have a Canon printer. (Sorry, just me attacking Canon....I had a bad experience with my former printer) Actually, it isn't really a FOND memory. We stood in line for almost 90 minutes just buying our tickets for the ESB observatory. It was stuffy and uncomfortable for most of the time. If we hadn't been in line with some very funny people (who enjoyed making fun of the audio tour sales goons as much as we did), it might have been insufferable.

Save your time. Get tickets online.

www.esbnyc.com

1) Go to Brooklyn bridge, &...

by gulliver67

1) Go to Brooklyn bridge, & take in the wonderful view of the Manhattan skyline.
2) Catch a game (if you can get tickets) for any sports event at Madison square garden
3) Get to the Apollo theatre in Harlem for amateur night-fantastic entertainment with audience participation Watching the New York Knicks at Madison Sq. Garden - a dream come true for me, as I'm a basketball junkie, & always wanted to visit one of the most famous sports arenas in the world. Seats are steeply banked, making for excellent views & closeness to the action, & the atmosphere has to be experienced to be believed.

Long island ore with helly...

by onassia

Long island ore with helly obove statue of liberty.
Great vieuw seeing all these tall and huge buildings!
Also go and viset sitcome! Ore is it *** come? Everything is BIG
Not like in europe!
People are realy nice - friendley and BIG themselves!
Was realy my favourite place in the whole world!
Like to go and visit it again sometime....

One of the best travel book I've ever read....

by sourbugger

was called "A walk up Fifth Avenue" by Bernard Levin, an English columnist and writer.

The book does exactly what it says on the cover, and although quite celebral in nature it is also witty and vividly descriptive.

It was written in 1989, and so some of the references will be a little out of date, and some of the places he mentions may well have gone. Even so, if you can get hold of a copy (it is now out of print) it will provide a fascinating insight into one persons take on not just a road, but through it's pages on America itself.

To give you a flavour of his writing, this is Levin talking about modern architecture :

"What has happened to architecture since the second world war that the only passers-by who can contemplate it without pain are those equipped with a white stick and a dog?"

Comments