Upper East Suites & Duplex

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about New York City

My wife aboard the Jewel (2/12/11)My wife aboard the Jewel (2/12/11)

traffictraffic

insideinside

seafood chowdaseafood chowda

Where to stay?!?!

by Rw3110

Hi all, I'm sorry I'm sure there's information in abundance out there but due to a poorly computer I'm trying to look via a slow wap phone and impatience has kicked in! We are a group of 10 females visiting NYC for 4 nights in early September. We are looking for somewhere reasonably central. There's a big age range and one member of the party is less mobile than the rest. Ideally, we'd love to find an apartment or such like as we feel if she chose to stay in whilst the rest of us did something more active she would feel more comfortable there than at a hotel. However I'm struggling to find places that can accommodate a group of ten, especially as we aren't couples so bed shares wouldn't be ideal (although room shares fine)!! We'd be perfectly happy with Splitting the group into more apartments as long as they're close to each other. If anyone has any ideas they'd be massively welcome! Thanks.

Re: Where to stay?!?!

by 10028

Apartment rentals for fewer than 30 days aren't legal in NYC. That doesn't stop them from being advertised on otherwise legitimate web sites (that don't vet their listings). But the real problem with vacation rentals here is that there are many scams out there, where you send a deposit or prepayment only to arrive and discover the place doesn't exist. So stick wih legitimate hotels and you won't get into trouble.

The Affinia Group has several well regarded apt.-style hotels that are centrally located and have kitchenettes. They frequently run sales, so check their web site. Since you'll probably need five rooms, you're better off phoning the hotel directly.

Radio City Apts., despite its name, is a legitimate hotel too.

My number one choice would be the Beacon, on the beautiful upper west side. Their rooms are big by New York standards, and the hotel was recently renovated, so it's fresh and clean.

Another place you might consider is the Salisbury. The furnishings are dated and the elevators are slow, but it's clean and roomy and well located. They don't have real kitchen facilities, just a microwave and mini fridge. If kitchen facilities are important, I'd go with one of the other choices.

Re: Where to stay?!?!

by krismsong

I live in NYC so I am less familiar with hotels, but I do know that the Beekman in midtown east has kitchens and sitting areas. It is also conveniently located for touring the UN, Grand Central and local pubs. Finally (and why I know about the hotel--my sister visited me with her whole family including her 2 dogs), it is dog friendly (without size limits) so if your friend who is less mobile wants to bring her furry friend to keep her company, this may be an option for you.

Travel Tips for New York City

Anytime is good in NY

by SOLODANCER

Springtime and also around early Fall.

I'd avoid summer in NYC - the dog days of late June into early September - it's uncomfortably and disgustingly hot with extreme humidity index enough to fry one's cajones! The quality of air is also at its worst with humidity mixed in with pollutants cooked up it puts one's lung power to near extinction. But somehow we New Yorkers have gotten accustomed to this...thus continue to have great fun even in this condition.

If you don't mind this extreme seasonal change, then by all means consider summertime here as well for your next visit. Just know too that in summer the city is packed to the gills as much as there are incredible entertainment offerings a lot of them free as street fairs, concerts in the parks, etc.

Good choice coming back to NYC, you'll experience her even more.

Getting good exchange rate

by Weener

When shopping, to get the best exchange rate, I would recommend using a credit card rather than cash

I received a much better rate of exchange shopping this way than exchanging cash before I left.

Remember that some shops however, ask for a secondary form of ID when paying by credit card, a photo ID is best.

See Chautauqua Institution....

by Randall_Burt

See Chautauqua Institution. This is a place of learning, concerts and other things, they offer lectures, ballet,classes on most anything and to me its like a movie studio town. Their Email is- www.chautauqua-inst.org. Phone number is. 1800-836-arts. A ride on the Chautauqua Belle is a nice way to see Chautauqua Lake. At Bemus Point NY. You can cross Chautauqua Lake on a ferry that is over 100 years old. In Jamestown NY. on Chautauqua Lake you can visit the Lucy Musem . Lucille Ball was born in Jamestown NY. We have the Lucy, Desi Musem in Jamestown, M. Wright Air and Space Musem, My favorite, Roger Tory Peterson Institute 2 locations, Jamestown and Frewsburg New York. I have Charporoned School trips to both, My Favorite is the in Frewsburg. Chautauqua County is a Skiers Paradise with several great shi resorts. Cockaign in Sinclairville NY., Peek and Peek in the Town of French Creek. Holiday Valley in Ellicottville NY. Mayville New York offers the Ice Castle in February. I live in New York and have lived here all my life.

central park!!!

by Cheewa

Central Park too!!

I send my support to all police, fireman and soldiers around the world who fight against the terrorism.

In Argentina we suffer that in 70´s and 90´s. It´s horrible. But always appears men and women who fight against terrorist, and win the war.

God bless the fighters!

People watching in Wall Street

by mht_in_la

The photo shows the Federal Building across the Wall Street from the New York Stock Exchange. The security in this area is very tight, but the Federal Building must not be very important because its front steps are full of tourists taking a break or having a picnic. It has a great view towards NYSE building. It's a great spot to watch people; whether the market is up or down doesn't matter.

Comments