W Hotel New York

541 Lexington Avenue, At 49th Street, New York City, New York, 10022, United States

W New York
Orbitz.com WHotels.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

W New York

I'm not a fan of W hotels, because I think they are overpriced in general and that there's nothing special about them. This hotel was the usual- small cramped room and nothing special for too much money. But its a great location and Whiskey Blue, the downstairs bar, is a cool hangout spot.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

A little disappointing

Having stayed at another W in New York I was expecting the same amazing experience. It was not quite the same here. Our first room was pretty small, the bathroom smelled, the heat was up so high it was like a chamber and it was next to some sort of engine room that powered on and off all night. We didn't sleep very much our first night. Luckily, we were able to transfer to another room and although it smelled like cigarettes was a better experience.

Unique Quality: A good bar which is always buzzing with activity and an altogether nice lobby area. Also, the location is great.

Directions: Right by Grand Central Station

More about W Hotel New York

A Pleasant Surprise!!

by TripAdvisor Member WVtrip

I recently approached a three-night stay at the W New York with trepidation after reading many of the negative reviews of the facility on this website, but I'm glad to say my experience there did not match those of the "negative nellies". The staff was most welcoming, the hip decor was interesting and the rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. I am a subway rider when I visit New York and this property is located only one block from a Lexington Avenue Line station, with service to nearby Grand Central Station and the Times Square Shuttle. The price was right, the rooms clean and comfortable and the location ideal. Don't fear a stay at the W New York!!

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Happy_Travelor_2007

Overall I had a great experience at the W New York. The staff was very attentive and helpful. I would have to agree with earlier emails that the rooms are small; however, I feel the smallness of the room is overshadowed by the wonderfully comfortable bed and a room decor that is far from the standard cookie cutter rooms that I have stayed at.
Rooms are also equiped with CD players and the W Music CD (which is very enjoyable). Also throughout the hotel trendy music is piped in.
The hotel had a nice bar attached (Wiskey Blue). In addition the lobby area turns into a bar/lounge in the evening with candles. I would say this is a great hotel and I had a great experience.

As bad as it gets

My husband and I booked a room through an online site because it was advertised as a 4.5 star, boutique hotel. Despite reading the other poor reviews on TripAdvisor, we cancelled a long-standing reservation at the Benjamin, and decided to save $60 a night by trying the W New York-- bad mistake!

When we first checked into our room the carpet was soaked. We immediately attempted to call the front desk to alert them of the problem, but somehow we kept getting connected to the highly touted "whatever, whenever" service instead. They then attempted to connect us to the front desk, but we were left on hold for at least 10 minutes without an answer after speaking to two different people. Frustrated, we went back down to the front desk, where we were finally able to get another room.

Next, we discovered why the carpet in our first room was probably soaked. The bathrooms are terribly designed. The showerhead was broken and could not be adjusted for height (which meant that my husband had to duck his head down to get under the spray). Plus, the drain was also so clogged that it was impossible to shower without standing ankle-deep in a pool of soapy water. Because there is only a 1 to 2 inch lip above the floor, it was not long before all that shower water was flowing onto the bathroom floor. If we hadn't stopped it with our bath towels, it would have easily been all over the room's carpet.

And finally a comment on the ventilation system. It was very difficult to get just the right temperature in the room. We had to get up a few times in the middle of the night to adjust it. As an added bonus, it randomly made loud clanging noises that woke us up.

All in all, there is no way that we will ever stay at this W hotel again, no matter what the price. We travel extensively and are in New York at least twice a month -- and this was as bad as it gets.

To Stay In Harlem ...

by stef_b about Jazz on Lenox

It was the cheapest place we found. We stayed there 2 nights ... the staff was friendly & very polite! The receptionists answered all questions we asked about places of interest, clubbin' & etc. We were accomodated in a room with 10 more girls / that was annoing a bit / ,not very tidy too .But after all it wasn't bad experience ;)
Being in Harlem was amazing adventure .. maybe we were lucky.Three girls walking around in the middle of the night ... crazy thing to do in that kind of neighbourhood but we got to the hostel safe ;) Jazz on Lenox Hostel offers a range of rooms, from 4 – 12 bedded dorms to twin and double private rooms. Separate Luggage Room located in the patio where they hold BBQ's in the summer; a Lounge w/ a Plasma Screen TV, free WiFi, Snack Machines plus a newly renovated kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee pot and stove/oven ; a Lockers & Safety Deposit Boxes; 24-hour Reception /useful when u have questions/ !

The Victorian Bed and...

by JaneS

The Victorian Bed and Breakfast
we paid $45.00 for a room w/ a shared bath.
Suites with private bath are more. Lovely 100 year old home in a classic neighborhood, just a few blocks from the downtown shopping area.
The best breakfast!

W sniffin'W sniffin'

A & W All American FoodA & W All American Food

Charles W. Morgan at MysticCharles W. Morgan at Mystic

Garden salad w/breadsticksGarden salad w/breadsticks

Hotels

by sjjordan2002

We are thinking about booking the W hotel at 1567 Broadway at 47th street . Anyone know anything about it?

by nyc10025

It gets some good reviews and some not so good reviews. Read what people who stayed there said at this TripAdvisor link

by clmetal

We stayed a night and it was nice. All NYC hotel rooms are tiny though

by xstacey

Hi,
I've stayed at that "W" before. It's a good location and the hotel is very nice. Modern and clean. Rooms are very snug though. I would be happy to stay there again! Coffee shop (Starbucks) right across the street just to get you going the next day.

RE: RE: Hotels

by sjjordan2002

Thanks xstacey glad to hear that there is a Starbucks nearby. I'm traveling with my mother in-law & sister in-law, so I might need the caffine boost!

RE: RE: Hotels

by TempNomad

If you're looking for something in that price range, I'd like to suggest the Hotel Giraffe. Amazing rooms and service. Check out my NYC Hotel tip for more. The rooms are very large for NYC.

by AuTourDuMonde32

The W chain is absolutely great~

Hotel Giraffe is quite nice too~
they're in the same price range?!
I'd expect Giraffe to be more expensive

Comments