W New York Times Square

Orbitz.com WHotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• cristianoq's Profile Photo

WWOW

A nice designed hotel with modern furniture and a great position. The bed rocks, it's really confortable, I was disappointed by the everything is optional... a small bottle of water is 8 dollars... if you spend more than 600 dollars/night a small gift is welcome, I don't ask for Champagne... I was also disappointed of the Wisky club... small, in a basement and few woman... the business center was really handy and useful with updated computers and fast Internet connection

Unique Quality: Place, it's in the center of the show, you can see the digital sign in time square from your window.

• Its stylish... maybe a bit to stylish...

Its definitely a very hot spot at Times Square. You have to access via a relatively small entrance and take a lift up to the real lobby... Everything went well during my stay. The room was fine, the "bliss shower gels etc." nice and all the high-tec stuff helpful. The music in the lobby is a bit loud and the sofas are very low... so its not the best location for a short meeting. Staff is helpful and well trained.
    If you have to be in the area, its a nice (expensive) choice. If you like the "W" style, its great!

• xstacey's Profile Photo

Clean and Modern

Hotel rooms are really small but that's everywhere in NYC, I suppose. Great Roman shades for blocking out sunlight the morning after a massive drinking fest. Aveda amenities. The staff is clad in black and all seem to be young and trendy.

I am pleased to find out that they are dog-friendly!! Additional 25 bucks per night plus your room rate but they've got all kinds of goodies for you pooch including a doggie bed, doggie treats, etc.

Unique Quality: Dog friendly and special services for your pet!

Directions: Times Square

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Trendy but Expensive

W hotel at Times Square is a hip hotel indeed; staff is wearing all black, the lobby is ultra-trendy with cubic styling and well-designed lightning, the corridors and the elevators follow the colour schemes well, and the rooms are airy and cleanly executed. It was like being in Finland, everything worked and looked fabulous...

You either love or hate the place, you cannot be in between.

I loved it. The bed was big and comfortable, the view was magnificent and the design was just adorable. Others would probably hated the odd shower, toilet with glass (though opaque) walls, black corridors and dimly lit elevators.

The staff could have done better in service, we missed our morning paper on two mornings. On the other hand, the bed was made twice a day and you got candies every time. Such small perks of life...

Unique Quality: The hotel is very chic and still everything works okay. The views from the upper floors are magnificent. The glass tabletop may be a little disturbing as you see the Broadway traffic jams next to your laptop.

Directions: At Times Square.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

If you have the money....

When I travel on business, I rotate which hotel I stay in on my trips, it breaks up the monotony, and also lets me see a little more of a city than just one street. The W in Times Square is one of the newest in their fleet, and for those of you that know the quality of the W line, this hotel will definitely not disappoint.

For those of you that do not regularly stay in W's.... they are very upscale, trendy, and modern. They have wonderful beds, very noveau, and all of their perks are there.

Unique Quality: The location, and the height off the ground make this hotel very accessible for a great view of Times Square. No further explanation necessary.

More about W New York Times Square

Choosing a Neighborhood

by 10028

Lots of people look for a hotel "near all the tourist attractions." But, NY's attractions are not in one place. So choose a neighborhood based on how easy access to public transport is, and by the "vibe" of the area.

I try to steer visitors away from the Times Square / Theater District ("tourist central") because it's not a "real" neighborhood and you'll never meet New Yorkers there. The exception is if you're planning to see lots of Broadway shows, it might be easier to stay in the Times Square area, so you can easily walk back to your hotel after theater, when it's nearly impossible to get a taxi.

My favorite neighborhood is the Upper West Side, a large, upscale residential neighborhood known for its great shops and restaurants. It's close to Central Park, Lincoln Center, the American Museum of Natural History, Riverside Park. And public transport access is terrific. From 72nd & Broadway, it's one express stop to Times Square, or 10 minutes away.

Some of the Upper West Side hotels you might consider are the Beacon, On the Ave, Lucerne, Excelsior, Belleclaire, Milburn, Newton. Don't stay in the neighborhood without visiting Zabar's & Fairway. You might even run into your favorite celebrity waiting for your number to be called at the appetizing counter!

You'll find lots of first-hand reviews of hotels on this wonderful site, and also on www.tripadvisor.com. As a New Yorker, I can comment on the location of a hotel, but not what the rooms or amenities are like.

There are a zillion hotels in the Times Square area! I hear terrific things about the two budget hotels the Belvedere and the Novotel. I think the Paramount is very chic, but apparently Ian Schrager's hotels are notorious for having the smallest rooms, even in a city known for small hotel rooms! And, I think the Marriott Marquis is way too big and there's always a wait for elevators at peak times. For business, we often put people in the W Times Square (which everyone loves) or the Crowne Plaza. The new Westin Times Square is terrific too.

Depressing and creepy... What happened, W???

Being on the road 6 months out of the year, I am an avid W fan. I used a free night for a special occasion at the W Times Square, and was puzzled, to say the least. It was as if the designer had taken all the things I love about W hotels (sleek but comfortable, lush and inviting) and thought up ways to use the same style concept to achieve the opposite. The narrow hallways were painted completely BLACK, if you can believe it. The color scheme in the room was all grey, with warehouse-type metal doors, etc. "Depressing" doesn't do it justice. The bathroom and desk area were extraordinarily poorly designed, going for a futuristic look rather than conveniency. (No bathroom counter, no shower door, grey plastic desk chair, etc.) It was a horrible experience, but worth it just to see the unbelievably stupid design decisions. With other, gorgeous, W hotels in the area, skip this one.

Wonderful W

My husband and I just returned from our trip to New York City. We stayed at the W Times Square and were pleased to say the least. After reading a few reviews before the trip, I was a little nervous about what to expect. However, we thought the hotel was fabulous. It is definitely set for the younger crowd and very trendy. We especially liked the upbeat dance type music in the elevators. That really helped us wake up in the mornings. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They were always there to help and answer any questions. The one downfall was the showers. Whatever you did, you couldn't help but have water all over the floor, but it did not affect our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are young and want something different. My husband and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Funky hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member m101

We were moved to this hotel for our first night as our original hotel was over booked. I loved the grey room, the black corridors, the entrance lobby is fab. We stayed on the 33rd floor. I found the staff to be great. Their whatever wherever service is good. We had a problem with our safety deposit box, within minutes the security guys were up taking a look at it and replaced it for us. We were also able to check out before leaving our room over the TV system. I was sad to leave the hotel, great location, a little noisy from street noise but it is Times Square, you can hardly expect it to be quiet!! I would definately stay there again, what a great funky, young hotel!!

Times Square, New YorkTimes Square, New York

Times Square, New YorkTimes Square, New York

Times Square, New York CityTimes Square, New York City

Toys R Us Times Square, New York CityToys R Us Times Square, New York City

Please help with hotel location

by 2curly4u

My sister and I will be in New York in September. It's a first time for us in NY. We would live in New Jersy with relatives, but would like a book one weekend in Manhattan, so we can go out to nightclub/bar/restaurants. I would apreciate an advise of the best location/street name where there are the most night activities, so we can book a hotel nearby.

by PeaceJoySmile

for the most popular nightclubs, i would chose the village- near Broadway.

but there are more hotels in times square and many nightclubs there also.

you may want to decide on which nightclubs you want to visit first and see which hotels are accessible from there?

by Stef619

you can always look at newyork.citysearch.com This website can give you lists of top clubs/bars in whatever area...but then also tell you what's around such as hotels.

by 2curly4u

Thanks for your replies. But I have no idea which nightclub or area should we choose. That's why I ma basically asking the question.We are in our early 30th.So anything nice/trendy as "Sex in the City" style would be fine. If you can recommend few names of clubs and hotels near by that would be great. Somebody mentioned "Chelsea Inn", is that close to many clubs and restaurants?

by PeaceJoySmile

all you need is to by NY Time-Out Magazine. It's at most bookstores (banes & noble, for example).
they have a website also.
look at the listings section.

by pixistix73

Stay safe and cheap: Hotel Pennsylvania (right across from Penn station since you're coming from NJ)

or
Nice: W Hotel New York or Marriott Marquis Times Square

To stay safe: always have the full address and cross streets to where you are going and take a cab (Yellow cabs with lights). DO NOT TAKE LIVERY CABS!!!

go to:
Shop and hang out: SoHo and West Village
Dinner: http://www.tajlounge.com for a late dinner, reserve a table, and stay for dj and drinks! 48 w.21st street
or Dip Cafe: http://dipcafe.com/

Bar: Flatiron: 37 West 19th Street

Catch a show on broadway: Your hotel can hook you up with tickets!

***Cheap eats (but nice place): Go for lunch or happy hour ($3 drinks) at Ginger's (szechuan & chinese) 512 7th avenue between 37th and 38th streets.
This is close to the fashion district and Macy's Herald square.
$6 lunch - No Lie!

by cegleston

I think what you are looking for are clubs/bars in the Meatpacking District. Nearby Hotels are Gansevoort and Maritime (rather expensive though).

by nyceagle1633

www.applecorehotels.com

Night districts: Meatpacking West 14th Street. West Chelsea, like from 23rd to 30th Street between 9th and 11th Avenue. Lower East Side on Clinton and Orchard Streets have hipster lounges and bars. East Village for bars. Bowery for some bars and clubs.

Comments