W New York Union Square

Booking.com WHotels.com Travelocity

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• kylamees's Profile Photo

Somewhere in center

Just at the corner of Union Square, this hotel is in good place to visit some Manhattan spots by foot (or taxi, metro). Hotel room was comfortable, not much view (with windows inside).
    It is important to specify exact address for transportation from airport or by taxi. Our bus driver was at hurry and just heard "W Hotel" and started to drive to somewhere in Times Square. There are many W hotels in the city.
    Hotel venue is old, from 20th century but still clean and comfortable. Wireless Internet costs for us, europeans a lot in the hotel (because we are used to free WiFi) but You can use complimentary wireless internet at the lobby, where it may be a bit slow.
    Breakfast at the Olives restaurant is OK, maybe a bit better than average. 20-28 USD. Breakfast is not included in room price (but this is common in US, some european tourists forget it sometimes).
    We walked from hotel to Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park and Moma, all within average tourist walking distance. If You are bored, You can take taxi of cource. Right next to hotel there are several delis and bars on Union Square, electronics shops (Best Buy, Staples), pubs, chinese and japanese food.
    Cheapest price during our visit was 369 USD.

Unique Quality: Good location for some spots.

Directions: Union Square

• Erica83's Profile Photo

Get away from a large crowd

W New York - Union Square... I would have to say the "W" New York is one of very good place to stay while in New York City. It's a tad bit on the expensive side but it's sure worth it.

Unique Quality: The Area is a great place, you are in basically the heart of New York. If you want to just get away from the crowded Time Sq. The W is located in right by Union SQ and 14th. You are still in the mix with lots of shopping area and sites around.

Directions: 17 street and Park Ave South

More about W New York Union Square

The W Union Square is exactly what a boutique hotel in NYC should be!

by TripAdvisor Member luckylindy88

We stayed at the W Union Square last month as I had taken my girlfriend to NYC to propose. After the proposal we drove over to the W and were wisked from our car by the valet directly to check in. Finding out that we had just gotten engaged, they upgraded our normal room to a junior sweet without our asking and were very gracious about it. We went from Car to room in under 5 minutes. We had a corner room with great views of Union Square. The room was absolutely wonderful, everything had clearly been thought out. DVD and cd players in both the sitting room and the bedroom. Very stylish room as you would come to expect from the W. I've stayed in 3 or 4 different W's and this was my favorite by far. Like other reviewers, we found the bed to be very comfortable. Location can't be beat. Bar in the lobby is a great jumping off point and bar in the basement is a nice place to wrap it up at the end of the night. All in all, the W provided a perfect stay and we will back.

NYMAG ASSIGN: Swank Meets Earth

by shutterlust about The Living Room at the W Union Square

The Living Room at the W offers fantastic decor and atmosphere, very trendy, swanky and fabulous in the lobby of the W Hotel near Union Square. Usually filled with after-work yuppies and hotel guests, this bar also accomodates the party-hoppers of Manhattan. The room itself is fantastic, airy, and 'cavernous'. And their menu of cocktails changes with the season! Think: very trendy, swanky, fabulous.

loved the W Hotel at Union Square

stayed for 4 nights at the W at Union Square. Loved it. Service was great, location is wonderful. The room was really nice with 2 windows looking onto the square. We liked everything about it. the lobby gets crazy at night but you can ignore that. Basically it was pleasant and I would stay there again.
I have stayed at quite a few hotels in NYC and so far like this one the best.

Best of the best

I am a part-time transplant in New York, living at the W Union Square. My work takes me here about 27 days each month. To my good fortune, I've been able to stay at this fantastic hotel. Everything from the quality of the service to the ameneties, to the rooms are all top rate. When I first started traveling to NYC about 2 years ago, I stayed at a number of the higher rated properties on the island. The W Union Square, hands down, is the best. (I've stayed at all 5 W properties in NYC, and the Union Square one is by far the best)

Couldn't have been better!

by TripAdvisor Member cameshon

My Husband and I stayed at the W Union Square for Xmas with 2 large dogs. We were all welcomed(dogs included).The View was great ,the service was wonderful even bringing cookies for the dogs at bed time.Everyone was very helpful at all times. There was coffee and hot cider for free along with fresh fruit in the lobby. Nothing we asked for was too much including an extra bowl for the dog's water.It was positively delightful!

Wonderful Service, Mediocre Room

by TripAdvisor Member sjgjess

My husband and I were treated very well by the staff at the W Union Square. Everyone was wonderful, but we tipped through the nose because we were on an expense account, so I am not sure that everyone would receive the same kindness. Our room was $459 per night, and I thought it was far less than a bargain. The room was nice and well-decorated, but it was not exciting or interesting. It paled in comparison to the Sofitel or the Rihga. The bar was very hip, and the restaurant was quite good-- it's a Todd English establishment. I don't have any real complaints, but I might not stay there again if I could find something more wonderful in the area.

Nice Lobby & Bed, Too Trendy to Hold Real Substance

I recently stayed at the hotel while attending a trade show. Service is polite and adequate but do not feel completely sincere. The workers somehow make you feel they are better than you. It feels like the hotel is trying to create a "young" vibe, so the workers are in a different dimension than the guests.
Decoration is nice but not necessaryly 1st calss except in the lobby and bar.
I will take the Parador in Arcos de la frontera or Empress Hotel in Victoria over W Union Square anytime.

Most of the time when I go to...

by nmac814

Most of the time when I go to NYC I only take the train up for the day or I stay at a friends place, but last time we stayed at The W Hotel on Lexington. The rooms are gorgeous but incredibly small -- and expensive.
We got the cheapest rate at $200/night Fabulous down comforters and bedding

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member citychicky

As a present to us for our engagement party, we were given a night at the W union square. I dont know how much the room I had would have cost but I can guess more than $500.00 a night. It was a great room with comfortable bed, nice big heavy drapes to keep the room dark, big bathroom with Bliss products, and three windows for a 180 degree view of the city. It was a great place, super quiet and very comfortable.

We werent there for long and so i didnt have any interaction with the staff. Although, we had planned to have one last drink at the bar before bed but when we got in there realized that it was a real scene and super crowded. We decided to forget it after waiting at the bar for about 10 minutes with no service.

That we had that experience at the bar didnt affect my appreciation of the beautiful hotel, great location and comfortable room. It was a great hotel.

W Hotel at Union Square (Dec 06)W Hotel at Union Square (Dec 06)

washington square, greenwich village area

by sandy38

need to find a nice hotel in or close to the village for 2nd week in october.
Any suggestions? Also, would like to know of some good restaurants. and neighborhood bar.

by ellielou

There's a post in the NYC forum regarding hotels/b&bs in NYC within the week. It's probably a few posts down from here. There are great suggestions there. It may be a good place to start searching.

by 10028

Here's the thread with info you can use:

If you're looking specifically for hotels, here are some in the Village (and Meatpacking District, which is just to the west). Have a look at the reviews on tripadvisor, and check the Candid Traveler Photos. They tell more than the photos from the hotels' web sites.

Mercer
Gansevoort
SoHo House
60 Thompson
Maritime

The W Union Square is a great option too.

by nyceagle1633

For bars, it is such an easy place to walk around, especially Greenwich and West Village, you'll be able to find a nice places that fit your style to mix in with locals, and of course, some tourists.

Comments