318 West 51st Street, New York City, New York, 10019, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Washington Jefferson Hotel

Latest on the Washington Jefferson

by TripAdvisor Member JimPFairOaksCA

I had read several reviews about this hotel and they were all over the board. If you don't mind VERYsmall bedrooms (reasonable sized bathroom), then you'll enjoy this hotel. Construction work limited use of the elevator. Price was reasonable and the location was OK although not ideal.

There's very little room to place your luggage. The staff is courteous but not overly helpful.

Very Pleased at the Washington Jefferson

Fear came over me after reading the reviews, as I questioned if I had done the right thing booking a room at the Washington Jefferson for the weekend of April 17th, 2004. From my research on the internet the price seemed so fair and reasonable. And the location, a dream. There had to be a catch.

Yes my room was small and thanks to the reviews I learned to brace myself for that. If you plan to spend your entire vacation in your room, things might get a bit clausterphobic. And the elevator is small and very slow. I did not come to New York to be impressed by an elevator. I stayed in a single room on the top 6th floor, and I could have waited for the elevator, but I did not mind taking the stairs (really!). I had a solid restful sleep and loved the white down comforter. I appreciated the modern french decor of my room and for being so small it was packed with helpful items such as a room safe (which I admit I thought was a microwave at first), iron and ironing board, radio, t.v.; and little things like a fresh rose on the desk table. For my own personal tastes I will say I missed having a full length mirror. The maid was very cordial and the doormen very kind. The whole experience reminded me of some or the hotels I have stayed at in Europe. And yes by the way, I did feel safe.

This is not a recreational Disneyland hotel (Disneyland happens when you step outside the hotel), but it is rather a very functional one. I just hope they don't get wise and raise their prices. I plan to be staying there again.

Blue Ridge Mountains

by chewy3326

This gentle chain of mountains on the east coast of the US isn't as spectacular as the mountains of the west, but it has good scenery. The Blue Ridge is part of the larger Appalachian Mountains. The Blue Ridge Mts. begin in Northern Virginia and end in North Carolina; it includes Shenandoah National Park, George Washington, Jefferson, and Pisgah National Forests, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Though many visitors just drive around the ridge, the best thing to do is to get out and hike. Good trails abound around Vesuvius, VA, with the St. Mary's Wilderness, Big Mary's Creek Valley, and the South River. There's also good hiking throughout Shenandoah, especially around Big Meadows/Skyland. There are also numerous waterfalls. There are also many caves in the nearby Shenandoah Valley.

The best time to visit is autumn, though spring brings wildflowers. Summer is a bad time to visit, since alot the views are obscured by haze and smog. In winter, the mountains are bare, but it is a different perspective. Some areas of the ridge may be closed temporarily during winter.

You can access the Blue Ridge from Luray, Lexington, Charlottesville, Waynesboro, Roanoke, etc. For more info, view my Shenandoah National Park and Vesuvius pages.

Just Adequate

by TripAdvisor Member EdinburghGinger

The hotel was in a great location for Broadway, Times Square, Tourist Information, places to eat etc. The hotel reception was nice - pretty much as it is in photos if perhaps a little smaller than expected.
However the staircase and elevator to rooms were far less plush and could certainly do with some redecoration. The hallways were also in real need of redecoration. The rooms were very small and could also have done with a lick of paint and new carpets. No views from the windows. Rooms were very warm but the heating system was old and radiators hard to adjust. Shower room was fine - marble finish and clean. Maid service was good - towels replaced every day and wastepaper bins emptied every day. Staff on the front desk were pleasant if a little cool on occasion. The hotel is a suitable place to base yourself if planning a short visit - to do some shopping and see a Broadway Show - but I would prefer something a little more up-market for a longer stay. The hotel reception is more plush by far than the rest of hotel - rooms and corridors. Impressed by free flight check facility on TV in rooms - allowing you to check the time of your flight on departure.

Same old WJ

by TripAdvisor Member broadviewwriter

After discovering this useful site while looking for hotels in NYC, I was curious to see what people had to say about the WJ. We stayed there 4 years ago, on a "renovation deal." I assumed by the passage of time and the higher prices that the place would have totally changed.
Apparently not! The funniest (in retrospect) part of our stay was when I was sick in bed and the front desk phoned to ask if it would be okay if some people came up to look at the room. I explained that I was sick and the staff person graciously said, No problem! Sure enough, a few minutes later there was a knock on the door and a couple of suits squeezed into the room to look at the configuration and discuss renovation, while I huddled in my bathrobe. Sounds like the same attitude still prevails.

Great hotel, great location

Plesant lobby area, very helpful and accomodating staff, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel room was small and didn't have a wardrobe but that didn't exactly ruin the holiday, there was an iron & ironing board so you didn't have to look scruffy. Ensuite shower room was lovely, small, but it had a large shower cubicle. The location of the hotel was brilliant, excellent restaurants and bar in the same street close by. The only thing i would have liked to have seen was tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The hallway to get to our room did smell a bit musty but when room door shut it was fine. All windows in NYC seem to be dangerous be careful when you open them!

Loved the WJ

I have to admit when I read the reviews of the hotel, I was petrified to stay there. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't at all what I pictured in my mind. Yes, the rooms are small, but what room isn't in New York? The room was clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower was fantastic!!! The staff was friendly and helpful. You won't get any better location!!! I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Great location + nice rooms, for the price

We stayed at the WJ in June '03. We made our booking online, so were very surprised to find the room much tinier than expected from photos. But we've travelled some and have stayed in enough postage-stamp size rooms in cities like London, Bombay, San Francisco etc to where we're quite willing to trade the size of the room for a great location + reasonable price, which this hotel certainly has. Also, the room was clean, comfy, fabulous bed & linens, decorated quite to our taste. The tiny bathroom was fine too, mostly due to the stand-up shower. I would say our stay went off without a hitch - no problems with our reservations, rates quoted and charged, or the staff, who were courteous and professional. I know we'll be going back there someday.

Good value for money

Yes the room I had was very small, with maybe a metre around the side of the bed and two at the foot, but the bathroom was great, the bed was comfortable and everything was really clean. The rooms at the back were being refurbished while I was there (April 04) and I heard people complaining about that area, but if you can get a room at the front (with numbers ending *32-*37 on every floor) then I think it's well worth it. 5 mins from Times Sq, a subway station on the next corner, and a great Italian restaurant just across the street. Not bad at all for the money.

If u know what u are getting into, it is OK

I have stayed here maybe 5 times, and have visted friends and relatives here another 5 times, so i have seen many rooms over the last 2-3 years. The room decorations are nice - i think lots of hotels in the city that are renovating are doing the same (old building, modern stylings - 'W' style - see the Moderne, Ameritania, On the Avenue etc.). Yes the staircases, and the back half of the hotel aren't great (though even the back is looking better on my recent visit). The rooms ARE small. I have been in their single room a few times and you can touch both sides of the walls when lying on the bed. You generally need to move something else to put something down. It is like a cruise ship, and overlooks an airshaft. Location is great - only a block away from my office and close to everything.

This is NOT a hotel to spend alot of time in lounging. It is a reasonable room with a great location, and clean decor. There are a few lemon rooms left, and the staff isn't the most accommodating either. Those are my biggest gripes.

main concoursemain concourse

againagain

VTer GillyBob at Jamaica StationVTer GillyBob at Jamaica Station

square at Battery Parksquare at Battery Park

place to stay

by beckyappenzeller

My daughter and I are coming to New York in Aug for a week. Looking for a place to stay in the heart of the tourist area. Welcome ideas. Doesn't need to be fancy as we won't be in the room much, but clean and safe

by leics

I've been looking as well and used www.booking.com

It is a reliable site I've used many times for hotels in Europe. Good mapping and honest guest reviews, and you don't pay them anything (you pay the hotel as normal).

I've made my choice and booked, but obviously cannot recommend anywhere until I've visited. You can see the hotel recommendations VT-ers made for me earlier this year on this thread:

by dustmon

Check out wjhotel.com The Washington-Jefferson in the middle of everything and not too expensive---the website has specials sometimes--I have stayed there and enjoyed it as an inexpensive stay for a few days.

by sammie1207

I stayed at the french hotel called The Sofitel - it was the perfect location, right around the corner from Times Square, 5th avenue etc, and middle price range, would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.
Enjoy your stay :)

by von.otter

I am going to suggest one hotel and one B+B, both in Greenwich Village.

The first is the Washington Square Hotel (http://www.washingtonsquarehotel.com/), 103 Waverly Pl; (212) 777-9515. My in-laws stayed there a few years ago and loved it. It is in the heart of the colorful Greenwich Village, at the northwest corner of Washington Square Park, which will be a lively place in August.

The second is Abingdon Guest House (http://www.abingdonguesthouse.com/), 21 Eighth Avenue; (212) 243-5384. This lovely guest house is in the heart of a fine residential neighborhood of Greenwich Village. Abingdon Square, a lovely small park, is nearby.

Although not in noisy Midtown, these accommodations will allow you to experience all parts of the Big Apple. Each is near major transportation hubs, that will bring you to all of New York City’s main attractions. You can visit Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, etc., etc. and then retreat to the peace and quiet of The Village.

by zuriga

I lived near NYC for many years so never needed a hotel. But I moved to the UK and we went back for a visit 2 years ago. We had a very good experience with The Time Hotel. It's right in the middle of the theatre district and one block from the subway, which will take you all over Manhattan. The hotel is not fancy and the price was very reasonable for the city and location. They have a small restaurant, but we found many, terrific breakfast places nearby so ate there.

Comments