871 7th Ave at W 55th St, New York City, New York, 10019-3830, United States

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• newyorkhunter's Profile Photo

Affordable, GREAT location!

I stayed at the Wellington for 5 nights for a trip just for fun. The staff was extremely kind and helpful even though they had a big rush of check-ins when I first got there. They held my bags before my check-in time came and then brought them up to my room. It's an older hotel, which is not something I mind at all. As long as there is A/C I'm happy, and there was. Sadly there was no microwave or refrigerator, which was my biggest issues. I would get a big lunch and hope to save it for dinner, but there was nowhere to keep it cool and then to reheat it. The reason it was such an issue is, I budgeted in such a way that relied a lot on leftovers. That was my biggest complaint. Other then that, I was thrilled with my stay.

Unique Quality: AMAZING location. If you have a window with street view, you have Central Park to your right and Times Square to your left. Fantastic. It was the most affordable hotel with a "hot" location from what I found.

Directions: Smack dab between Times Square and Central Park. You have a few blocks to walk in either direction.

• Ihtiandra's Profile Photo

Not as good as it looks outside

We stayed there a couple of nights, I was surprised that how different the hotel looked from outside and from inside: it was so posh and goodlooking outside, but when we got to our room, I felt like crying... it was small, uncomfortable, dirty.

Unique Quality: Everything there looked old and not clean. I was shoked by the difference. I did not want to touch anything there, it looked like a cheap student hostel, plus there was some construction work going outside and it was noisy. There was not view from window either. It looked dull and "brookliny".
    And again! The toilet was not working properly, it was getting blocked, and my friend's credit card was charged 50 dollars for future repairs of the hotel (how nice!), which we were not told about on arrival. The reception staff was quite horrible and unfriendly. They told us that we cannot leave our bags there in their luggage room (even we knew that all hotels let tourist do that). When we were leaving, nobody helped us with bags or taxi, even after we had paid a lot of tips to everybody before that.

Directions: Midtown area

• sharon0621's Profile Photo

New York's Wellington Hotel great location

For three visits to New York , the Wellington Hotel has become like home. The hotel is older and smaller and easy to get around in. I don't like Hotels that are so huge you have to walk miles to get to your room. The rooms at the wellington are ecelectic and show some age..but it's worth it for the location and the friendly staff. The greek restaurant and the fun hectic coffee shop are great as well. Reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding...all noise and great food.!! The location is fantastic...walking distance to Time's square..and Central park and just a hop skip and jump from Carnegie Hall.

Directions: Close to Time Square and Central Park

• dawgfan's Profile Photo

Nice hotel close to Times Square

I stayed at the Wellington on one trip to NYC. The price was reasonable and the accommodations were standard. One nice thing about the room we had is that it was actually split into two rooms (with a king sized bed in each). There wasn't a door between the rooms (even though their could have been), but the extra privacy was nice.
    It's also a short walk to Times Sqaure.

Directions: close to Times Square

• pili's Profile Photo

A very good hotel

Centrally located, the Wellington Hotel is within walking distance of Rockefeller Center, Carnegie Hall, Fifth Avenue, Times Square and New York´s theater district.-

Unique Quality: The rooms are very comfortable.-

More about Wellington Hotel

Diamond in the Rough

I recently visited NYC for the first time. While there I stayed at the Wellington hotel. I was very surprised with quite a few things. Number one, the rooms were much larger than I had expected from a NYC hotel. Number two, with the price I was paying (just over$100), I expected to be at least a 10 minute walk from the action. Yet when you step outside of the lobby you have Time Square to your left, Central Park to your right, and Broadway just a block away. Last but not least: THE PRICE! THE PRICE! THE PRICE! If you are a budget traveler and enjoy the best of the best, you have to stay at the Wellington.

Location is the only plus for the Wellington

by TripAdvisor Member Graysonroamer

5 of us in two rooms. The travel agent assured us bed requests were confirmed. The hotel said sorry, but it is at the hotel's discretion to give us two beds. We had one bed & the other room also had a rollaway. One room had heat only on all settings. No ice unless you ordered it by room service. At 3:00 check in, one room had not been touched after the previous guest checked out. Our rooms were 5 floors from each other. With 3 elevators you still had to wait and when we took the stairs 4 flights down the door was locked; what happens in case of fire? Rooms were top cleaned only. Mold was growing on the shower curtain. Rooms were too small. The only thing keeping the doors closed was the deadbolt.Front desk was rude on all occasions, one male in particular.Four others in the shuttle with us to the airport said they had the same experiences and would never stay at The Wellington again either.

good location

As a suprise for my 50th birthday my husband arranged a trip to New York, so he chose the wellington for its location. The hotel is ok but I found the staff at the recption not very welcoming. He also requested champagne and flowers to be in our room for me, this was not forthcoming, for me I did mind but for my husband it was a let down. I thought because the staff were not very customer friendly that we should not complain. I think also they should have coffee making facilities in your room.

Rude front desk

The whole front desk personel are RUDE and should not be working with the public. They have excuses for EVERYTHING, sometimes its just better to say "I'm sorry". Im not just talking about the checkin people but the front desk manager will all have excuses and when you have proof (on paper not hearsay )they are not telling the truth they tell you that you do not know what you are talking about and that your travel agent messed you up. The hotel is okay considering where it is at just know that it is a moderate hotel. Small rooms and they can never guarantee any room type no matter what you pay(but they will try and blame whomever you booked it thru...travel agent ect.) I have used my agent for a little over ten years and I have the proof in my hand what was booked and guaranteed. My agent said she had others with complaints, but for the price I chose this hotel. If you go to New York and want to be cheap stay here and let people be rude to you, or save your money a little longer and stay in the DOUBLETREE TIME SQUARE for maybe 50.00 to a 100.00 more a night and enjoy it.

St Patricks Day Parade

by Mich1979

Hello all,

Can you please tell me what time the St Patricks Day Parade starts and finishes. Can you please also tell me the best places to watch the parade. I am staying at the Wellington Hotel.

Thanks

Michelle

by goodfish

The parade has its very own website with all sorts of information - including start time and best viewing areas!! Here it is:

Hope this helps!

by Mich1979

by goodfish

No problem - and welcome to VT, new member!

Comments