334 West 46th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about New York City

Trump TowerTrump Tower

to the bridgeto the bridge

the airportthe airport

Garlin NanGarlin Nan

Hotels in Manhattan

by tuff

I would like to stay two nights in Manhattan in early October, any recommendations on hotels that cost around $150 a night? are there any areas to avoid? Thanks.

by TexasDave

Almost impossible, as that is a very high-demand time. Even traditionally less expensive chains, like Hampton Inn, Super 8, have rates 2 and 3 times that amount.
You might get something on opaque websites (where you don't know the name of the hotel until after you've paid for it). You could also try www.quickbook.com.
Another option is to look for hotels just outside of Manhattan- New Jersey, Long Island City are two. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

by MrG27

I am not sure if you can find a nice hotel for that price, if not, you should check out possibilities across the river in New Jersey, there are trains and buses from Manhattan to Hoboken, and usually only takes a few minutes. You also get to see the NYC skyline, which is quite nice, particularly in the evenings.

by dino335

If you are willing to share a bathroom you may be able to get a room for $150 more or less at places like Hotel 31, Hotel 17, Murray Hill Inn, Union Square Inn, Amsterdam Inn. These places also havde some rooms with private baths. Check out their websites. These are all in good neighborhoods.

by xymmot

You can try hot wire web site and go for three stars and above. A friend got a deal with Hot Wire where a four star was 135 in mid-town. It turned out to be the Sheraton. After taxes and surcharges it still came over 150. One of the specials also for 100 USD turn up a Best Western in around Chinatown. I did not think much about it at first and it look gloomy outside, but just can not judge a book by it's cover. Rooms were great but small and well appointed, had a wonderful stay and the location was better than expected. Good Luck and Cheers Tommy x

by tuff

Hi all. Thanks for your advise, I think I'll try price line and hot wire to see if I get lucky.

Travel Tips for New York City

Sense of Pride

by jurok

What I love most is that I am in every country at once when I'm in NY. It's as if the world got smashed together into one spot in the USA. It's great. You can learn so much when you are there. Its really like taking a world trip (but for much less, lol.)

It's a beautiful thing to be able to be surrounded by so many great people who all coincide. Actually have two:

I remember when I was younger taking the ferry to and from the Statue of Liberty. From here I was able to see the Twin Towers in all there might, standing graciously above all of Manhatten. At the time I did not see the symbolism behind them, I just saw amazing architecture. I guess it goes to show, sometimes, you don't know what you have until its gone.

Second, is a more recent trip with my girlfriend. We got to visit my birthplace in Brooklyn and I really enjoyed sharing that with her. Furthermore we toured the city, ate great food, and just had a great time with family. We passed by the site where the twin towers once stood and it was trully emotional. You get a sense of what once stood there and you see the true NY spirit as people have left picture and remarks around the gates that surround this site. Can no one hold NY down. It will be back and stronger than ever.

These are a few of my favourite things...

by Sophie1980

The Cloisters, a museum dedicated to Medieval art, and part of the Met Museum. Entry is by donation, and you can use your ticket to get into the Met on the same day for no extra charge. It's not too far on the subway, near 175 st if I remember, but well worth it. Uncrowded when I visited it, quite serene, peaceful, and set in a wonderful location by the Hudson river. It houses the Unicorn tapestries. My fondest memory is of all the Cosi nights me and my NY gang had. Cosi is a coffee place, like starbucks but perhaps less commercialised, with great food and FANTASTIC mint hot chocolates.
Apurva, always drunk, Ramon just being funny and Ken trying not to fall down at ice-skating.
I miss friends, the subway and the accessiblity of everything. You have it good in NY.

My favorite thing about New...

by laurajeanm

My favorite thing about New York is the beach. I live at the beach, and every morning I can hear the waves crashing over the beautiful soft, white sand. Summer or winter, its my favorite place to go and think abot the peace of the universe. My fondest memory of New York is spending summers at my grandma and grandpa's house in SOuthold. My grandpa would wake us up very early to go fishing...I can still remeber the smell of the fish as we wuold bring them into the boat. We woiuld catch our dinner! Long Isalnd has some of the best fishing around, I highly reccomend it if you come out here.

If you like meeting new and...

by apollo51

If you like meeting new and interesting people, you've gotta go to The Village around NYU. Washington Park is a great place to just sit and relax and watch people. In the summer, they have 'comedians' doing shows for money in the middle of the park and on the outskirts of their shows, there are people playing guitars, old Sony disk players (EARLY 20th century ones), and there's even a place where people play chess in the park. A great place to just relax. Favorite memory of NYC is going to a Brian Swetzer Orchestra (swing) concert in Central Park in the summertime with my friend. She and I originally couldn't get in because the ticket prices were a little too pricey so we sat outside and danced just outside of the concert until some of the sellers came up to us and handed us free tickets because the concert had started. We got to go in and swing dance to great live music.

Mobile Phones

by jo104

Do be aware that you will need a tri-band phone when in the States & you should change the network selection to manual. I noticed that my phone lost signal plenty of times in NYC which must be because of the high rise buildings. Should you have friends in NYC calling them or even texting them from your uk mobile will mean they will be paying a premium rate for your convenience. I decided to buy a prepay phone for $30 which came with a $10 pay as you go voucher free which meant NYC friends not penalised by an international call. You can purchase a prepay phone at most corner stores or a drugstore

Comments