West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments

278 West 11th Street, between West 4th and Bleecker Streets, New York City, New York, 10014, United

More about West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments

Great guesthouse in Greenwich Village

by TripAdvisor Member KeldaCharman

My mum and I stayed in the Leonardo Junior Suite for a long weekend in May. Location was fabulous - away from the hustle and bustle of Midtown, but near enough to walk to most of the major sightseeing places and close to loads of fabulous restaurants and bars.

The person who met us at check-in and check-out was very helpful - particularly in looking after our luggage so that we could do some more sight-seeing on our last day. It was nice to stay in somewhere with a bit of character rather than a large, impersonal hotel.

Some renovation work to the front of the building was underway during our stay, but it didn't really bother us except for trying to get our luggage through a door covered in wet paint.

Home from Home

We loved spending a few days having an apartment to ourself in Greenwich Village. The rooms are nicely done up - a bit artsy, non-institutional (unlike most hotels) and we liked having the space, comfort and privacy. We had cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (open til 11.30 at night), visited WH Auden's houses and ate lovely Italian and Thai and food - all minutes walk away.
Highly recommended.

Wonderful time at West Eleventh

My girlfriend and I just returned from a four night stay at the West Eleventh and we can't wait to go back. We stayed in the Monet, which was spacious, airy and perfectly equipped. The apartment was also spotlessly clean. After excursions into the city, you relish returning to the quiet comfort of this charming apartment.

The owners were warm and gracious. They provide you with all you need and then give you space to enjoy your time there. They also gave great recommendations of nearby restaurants and activities.

If you visit, I highly recommend the Magnolia bakery for cupcakes, Tartane for fresh, delicious and affordable french cuisine, The Corner Bistro for great burgers and Brewbar for the perfect cup of Chai. The neighborhood is very safe for New York and provides tons of dining, shopping and entertainment options.

It's a great bed and breakfast and the perfect spot for any New York trip.

Our First Stay But Not Our Last

My husband and I stayed at the 278 West 11th Street Townhouse in the Marucci Apartment on June 17-20, 2005. This was our first stay but it will definitely not be our last. We are veterans of VRBO apartment rental in the USA and Europe and the Marucci apartment was one of the best we have ever stayed in. The accommodations are just fabulous and the West Village neighborhood a joy. Past stays in NYC have been at high-end hotels such as the Waldorf Astoria but the 278 West 11th Street townhouse has the Waldorf and other great hotels beat by a mile. We could not recommend it more highly.

Wonderful Place - Best Location in NYC!

We are so lucky to have found the West Eleventh Townhouse. We stayed for the first two nights of our honeymoon in the Monet apt. and loved it! The townhouse is located in the best part of the village, between the quiet and quaint part of Bleeker St. and the lovely cafes of West 4th St. This is where the luckiest New Yorkers live! The apartment is light and spacious (much larger than your standard hotel room), very clean, comfortable and charming, and the bathroom and kitchen have both been pleasantly updated. Do prepare for three flights of stairs, but it's well worth it!!! Therese and Hercules (the innkeepers) were both very friendly and extremely accommodating, and we truly appreciated their going out of their way to make the beginning of our honeymoon a wonderful experience! Thanks!!!

Rude, rude rude!

by TripAdvisor Member Search

I'll never know what the West Eleventh Townhouse is like because I cancelled my booking after a horrible experience with them! After looking on the net for so long for accommodation for my husband and I for November I finally came across the West Eleventh and it looked lovely, had great reviews, so I went ahead and made an online booking. Having read so many horror stories about people turning up to their hotels and finding them double booked I was nervous about arriving in NY from Australia, tired and weary and finding no room at the Inn so to speak! I decided to ring them in person just to have a bit of human contact and confirm 100% that we did, in fact have the room. Well.....when the "gentleman" and I use that term loosely, answered the phone, he literally went into a tirade and abused me for not reading my e-mails before I rang him and why did I need to confirm when he had already sent an e-mail to me! I was flabbergasted to say the least, he was so rude and overbearing and wouldn't even let me speak. I was so shocked I was in tears afterwards and hastily cancelled my booking. I am so disappointed because the place did look good but I hated to think what sort of welcome we would have got in person if this is how he treats prospective customers!

What a gem! My hosts were just wonderful!

Having stayed in a variety of places in New York, from midtown hotels to friends couches I discovered West Eleventh Townhouse and I didn't want to leave -- it was a home away from home. My studio was just beautiful, facing a magnificent garden. It was a New York of a different era.

Most importantly the guesthouse owners were incredible, personable but discreet with great recommendations for new restaurants and things to do in the city. I felt welcome, well-informed but also respected.

Can't wait to go back!

Wonderful place to stay!

My first trip to NYC and I adored this townhouse. Wonderful location, close to EVERYTHING including the famous Magnolia Bakery. Within walking distance to the subway as well. The Marcucci room was wonderful, nice and bright, large with an extra room behind the main room that is great for using as an office or dressing area. This is the only apartment that faces the street, I loved looking out at all the other townhouses and seeing people stroll thru the neighborhood. Will def. be back and would recommend highly!

Fabulous Hotel Alternative in Manhatten!

by TripAdvisor Member danielswiss64

I recently booked a four-night stay at this "Bed and Breakfast Style" accomodation in Greenwich Village. For the price we paid, you definitely cannot find any hotel accomodations that are as nice and comfortable. The Leonardo Suite was huge for New York standards and nicely decorated. We enjoyed our stay there immensely. The neighborhood is great and the location is quiet! The only thing that bothered me was that (except for one day) the bed was never made and the bathroom not cleaned while we stayed there. Nevertheless, I was so pleased with the place that I would go back any time!

Fabulous Time in the Village

Just got back from a long weekend in NYC.....We had such a wonderful time in Greenwich Village and West 11th is a wonderful Self catered apartment to stay in. We were greeted by Therese and Hercules - we never did get to have that drink with them in the garden but will next time. Thanks to them!

The place was comfortable, beautiful, private and our own home away from home. Could see out to the street - which was great to people watch and see if there was a line up at Magnolia! Tartine was a nice find recommended by the Hosts and the Whitehorse Tavern. We loved strolling through the Village, and discovering NYC for the first time. Not a long enough stay as far as we are concerned. Would have liked to have stayed longer. We will be back for sure.

View from the ParkView from the Park

meme

the hot dogs!the hot dogs!

Stella, Miller Lite & a Jack & CokeStella, Miller Lite & a Jack & Coke

HELP!!!!

by rvongKP

i'll be visiting NYC in late august for 4 days, and was wondering what is the expense fee for taking a taxi or subway within those 4 days to go see the bronx zoo, time square, china town ferry ride, etc...

by ter1413

Just get a weekly Metrocard(subway and bus) for $27. You will get unlimited rides within that 7 days period. I do realize that you will only be there for 4 days but it is still a great deal IMO. If you are travelling with more than 1 person, you can NOT just use the unlimited for multiple people: you can't swipe and then pass to someone and have them swipe, etc. There is a delay(I think 15 minutes) built into the system.
If you ride the subway/bus 4 times a day and pay as you go, you will save $9. Get the weekly Metrocard!

by clareabee

i visited new york November last year and we walked to a lot of places (where we could!) as you see lots of interesting things on your way, but the metro is excellent - clean and safe and efficient - always police there and always a friendly new yorker happy to help!

Have a great time - New York is the best city on earth!

by An&An

Hi and welcome to NYC!
It all depends on where you will stay. The weekly subway ticket is a good recommendation, although you will find yourself walking several miles a day. Bring comfortable shoes! Another possibility is to buy a daily pass for the subway called fun pass. It is not sold via ticket machines but through newspaper stands,and tourist offices. Not sure about the cost but around $8. In general you will find cabs within Manhattan relatively inexpensive (depending where you are coming from).
Hav a lot of fun during your visit!

by An&An

Hi and welcome to NYC!
Hav a lot of fun during your visit!

by nyceagle1633

Taxi will be too expensive in the long run. Use the subway as often as possible. Some people like the buses so they can stare out the window and watch the world be busy.

Comments