West Park Astor Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• kazza.t's Profile Photo

Bad experience

Rooms very small and grotty looking, too far from main attractions, area a bit scary after dark.
    Staff not too friendly. Overpriced accomadation.

More about West Park Astor Hotel

watch your personal possessions!

We stayed at the Astor on the Park for two days and found the facilities basic but acceptible for the budget end of the market. Rooms very small. Very far uptown though for almost any attractions. Our main problem came when we when we packed for checkout and found that a new bottle of cologne was missing from the room. At the reception desk the most they offered to do was question maintenance staff and the maids that had been in the room. We never got the impression that they took the stolen item as genuine. With the manager away I was told to call when I arrived back home in the UK. I did and the manager agreed to refund to my card but I still haven't received my money back. No in room safes so be sure to watch your valuables if you stay here. I would not take the risk.

Would stay here again

This hotel is on the upper West side of Manhattan, just over the road from central park. It was a few minutes walk from the nearest subway station (103rd St), making it very easy to get to all major tourist destinations in Manhattan. It's in a mainly residential area without many restaurants or shops. The room was basic and small, but clean and adequate for our needs. The bathroom was new and had a bath and shower. We booked it on a last minute website and were happy with the reduced price. There is no bar or restaurant, internet access is available for a fee. No breakfast is provided, but four blocks uptown there is a nice cafe which serves reasonably priced food and lovely tea. Our 8th floor room was quiet, although you could hear subway trains passing beneath the street (as in many places in Manhattan). Staff were pleasant and helpful.

Not Bad but Not Great Either

Astor on the Park is located at the very top of Central Park. The view of the park from our room was lovely, but the hotel was very far from all the fun stuff we wanted to do. There is a subway stop 2 blocks south but the C train only stops there during the day. There is another subway stop 3 blocks west, but only the A train stops there. So we had to carefully coordinate our trains/stops.

This is an old building so do not expect modern features. There is only 1 elevator. There is a very narrow staircase. The rooms are tiny but clean. The bathrooms are small but have been updated with new hardware and tile. The beds are low to the ground and had very nice linens. The room reminded me of a small hotel room in Europe.

There is no room service and the television is limited to only a few channels. However, in NYC you are not in the room very much. In fact, we only slept and showered there. We were out sightseeing from early morning to late night.

The staff was very helpful and multilingual. They offered help with luggage, getting a taxi, and offered suggestions of restaurants and attractions.

Basically, this is a very average hotel for that price range in NYC. Do not stay in this hotel if you expect modern amenities and like to be in the room for a long time. Do not stay in this hotel if you want to be steps away from Times Square or other popular areas.

Does the job!

The rooms are fine, if a little boxy and nicely designed. TV reception is a bit terrible.

However, the hotel is just a bunch of rooms. And nothing else. But try telling that to the hotel staff - they seem to expect a tip for trying to help you.

Would go back

by TripAdvisor Member Sue&mike

We stayed 5 nights, arrived with some apprehension after reading such mixed revues. Basic room, clean, fresh towels and linens. Close to subways, so easy access to all sights. Staff friendly and helpful. Our 6th visit to New York, this was an expensive time, couldn't find much under £200 per night. You definately get what you pay for, in this case a, basic clean small rooms. But who wants to spend to time in a hotel room or to breakfast there, when there is so much to see and do, so many places to eat. Subway gave us quick access to Amy Ruths, good harlem restaurant, Abyssinian Baptist Church, Columbus Circle, Times Square, Moma, and a walk across Central Park to the Met Museum. Go with an open mind, it's the Astor not the Astoria!!!

Very nice, teeny tiny hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member sciencegirl81

Just came back from staying 5 nights at the Astor. I thought it was good value for a NY hotel. The room was very small, but immaculately clean, towels and linens were lovely, & the shower was hot & powerful. We had an amazing view of downtown & Central Park.
The staff were very friendly and helped out with directions & a car to the airport (which was actually cheaper than a yellow cab).
If you are not happy with your room, just ask to change, our room had a problem with cigarette smoke from the building next door so they moved us, no problem, and were really good about it.
The previous reviewer who mentioned the subway was wrong, 3 blocks away (at 106th) there are 3 subway lines that will take you downtown, so you never have to wait more then 5 mins for a train (& it's cheap) or there is a bus stop right outside the entrance.
The location was great because after all the hustle & bustle of downtown it's nice to come back to a district which is a bit quieter & cleaner. There are plenty of restaurants nearby (head west to the upper west side) and Central Park is literally yards away!
I would definately stay here agin, but probably ask for a bigger room and try to book direct with the hotel as I think the website we used was a bit overpriced.

Terrible!!

I chose this hotel on line. I was on my honey moon. I thought it was quite beautiful (by seeing the pictures etc..) Unfortunately I didnt't know what I'd have found. Although it was expensive, It was dirty, bad-smelling. I found some cockroaches either in the washing room either under the bed.
It is the only bad memory I have of that marvellous city called NY.
I really suggest you to stay away from there.
RG

Small room but decent value for the price

We stayed 23-25.Nov.05 during the week of Thanksgiving at the Astor on the Park. The location was close to my daughter's apartment and the price was good also. The Astor was the only hotel that did not jack the quoted price for the 2 holidays (Thurs-Fri) we stayed, all 3 nights were the same price. The room was small but clean; the window view was of the Empire and Chrysler Buildings so that was nice. Elevator a little jerky but made it an adventure to go down to the lobby. Hot water took a little while to arrive but it was scalding and plentiful when it came. The only advertised feature that didn't occur was the free morning coffee, none was available the mornings we were there. Location was good, easy to catch cab and subway close by. We'll likely stay here again when we go back to NYC.

Not A Disastor On the Park !

by TripAdvisor Member expectthebest10

Great position about 3 or 4 blocks away from subway to catch B or C trains to the top of Central Park. Small rooms but clean with nice bathrooms. Fresh towels and tidied rooms when you return from a hard days shopping. Tea and coffe availavble in the bsement room but advisable to buy some of your own milk as they ususally forget to buy some!This is handy as to buy breakfast your gonna have to walk a few blocks to get some - so helps you on your way. I have plenty of designer clothes and toiletries but none were stolen or used etc - we did however keep money on us at all times. Eating before you get back is also a good idea as there are not many places to eat immidiatley close to hotel. Harlem is quite near but not in the direction that most tourists want to go, ie shops etc. Be vigalent and have a great time in an amazing city.

NYC cheap accomodation

by Dulebg

Dear friends,

Can you suggest me some cheap places to stay in NYC?
Hostels or B&B, anything like that.

Thanx a lot!!!!

Cheers,
Dusan

by wtmarie

Hi Susan,

Whatever your budget is, I highly recommend that you find a hotel/B&B in Manhattan, if you are coming to NY as a tourist.
I found the following rates for April:
Astor Park Hotel New York for $96/day
Pennsylvania Hotel New York for $111/day
309 Hotel New York for $69/day
East Village Bed and Coffee $100/day (it has pretty good reviews)
The Pod Hotel seems like a great deal as well for $165/night

I used the search on www.via-her.com to find these deals.

Have a good trip!

by cmarry

I'm not sure I can help you with a hostel or B&B but when I went to NYC last year we stayed in the Bedford hotel, I think it was on 34th st, very central location, decor a bit dated but very friendly staff and we got a good rate too would be worth checking it out.
Hope this helps!

by NYTim

Try the Chelsea International Hostel.

by ck213

I stayed at the Williamsburg Hostel in Brooklyn my last trip to NYC. Absolutely great place, great price, and great area. Check it out at hostelworld.com

by Dulebg