West Side Inn

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 38% less but rated 37% lower than other 1 star hotels

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Cheap hotel for students

It may be the cheapest hotel in New York city but it sucks. The sheets are very dirty, the bathrooms on each floor are dirty too, and it is still 70$ per room for 2!!! We didn't have towels until we asked for them the next day! The kitchen on each floor.... on ours it was only a sink, on the other there was a stove and a sink that's it. So bring yourself some sheets, some shoes that goes in the bath, some shampoo and soap....

Unique Quality: Not far from the subway, there is a nice bagel shop not to far, very good....

Directions: Line 1 or 9 Cathedral station not far, easy by foot

More about West Side Inn

There is a reason

I live on the same block as the West Side Inn and learned a while ago that the city of New York is using this and other low-price hotels as temporary housing for the homeless. When city-run shelters fill up, especially in winter, the city buses the overflow to cheap hotels that have rooms available--the city pays the hotels a pretty good fee (something like $80) per room. After 9/11, hotels like the West Side Inn saw their tourist business drop off dramatically, and the homeless money from the city became a decent business--they'd rather fill those rooms at the city's rate than have them go empty. The flow of buses down the block has declined recently, evidence maybe that the tourist business has picked back up after 9/11. In any event, that may explain some of the conditions at the hotel and the attitude of the staff.

Depressing Site

I should have listened to this tripadvisor's advice about the West Side Inn, but I had already made the reservation before I found this site, trip advisor.com. So, I went ahead and took the risk. Yea, the hotel was depressing and the hallway was dark and creepy so did the room. Dirty heater, and a broken window that didn't closed properly. No towels were served till the next day! Additionally, there was a old resident, a woman, living there and she had a cat, as I could smell like an urine in the hallway.

The only good thing about the hotel was that the bed sheet was cleaned, I hope! The shared bathroom was cleaned but wet (no bath mat!)

A depressing site.

absolutely crap

After finally organising my trip to the states i thought i would try and save some money and book a cheap hotel, saw the pictures looked pretty basic but comfortable, how wrong was i?!!!! got their to find out i had to lug my suitcase up 5 flights of stairs because the elevator was broken and when i got to my room there was a bed.......that was it not tv, no internet access, no ironing board just a dirty bed. So i lugged my suitcase back down the stairs to complain they changed my room to a double bed witha tv which is what i paid for, the lock was broken and the tv didnt work and there was some random bloke shouting to himself in the next room!!!back down again to complain, they gave me a room with a tv that worked but still no internet access or ironing board, i put up with it for 3 nites then moved to the roger williams hotel on madison avenue which really made my trip more pricey than the west side inn but completely worth it, as for anyone wanting to stay here dont you will regret it even if your on a budget spend that extra 10-15 quid and you will get much better!!!

dont beleive the pictures

me and my girlfriend stayed at the west side in in oct 2003 after booking thru expedia...we arrived..checked in and where given our room keys..and everything you see on this site about the WSI is true..we spent an hour on the phone to expedia **** and blinding who moved us to the >exellent< best western president hotel...but we had to spend 3 days in the WSI...the worst days of our lives...luckily our 2 week trip of a liftime was rescued when we were moved..do not go there under ANY circumstances..if you can only afford the WSI...save a little more and go elsewhere..you'll be glad you did. trust me.

not that bad

Well, I must say that I was anxious to go there aftrer reading the reviews here..and must admit that I was agreably surprised by this hotel (which is more an hostel indeed)...The room was clean, the bathroom too, the staff was nice et this place, for the price you pay, is well located...Off course, this hotel should be reserved to budget travellers but it's not the creepy-noisy-dirty place that is described here...

West side hovel!

If only I'd read the reviews on here before we went. The only hotel in New York where we could afford to have 2 rooms for our family of 4....and now I know why!! I find it difficult to know which adjectives to use without resorting to obscenities. Suffice to say I am an experienced hostel user and also work with young homeless people in my job. Despite this I have never seen such a hole attempting to disguise itself as an hotel. I would not begin to consider suggesting any of the young homeless people I work with stayed there let alone use it as an holiday base. Stay away! The only positive I can say is how quickly Expedia responded to our request for a transfer and we were soon transferred to a very nice hotel on upper east side. If you ever see it recommended on expedia again direct them to this website....somehow I don't think you will.

Never - Absolutely horrible

Oh man, where do I start. WHatever you do, DO NOT book a reservation at this Inn...you would never want to stay here. I arrived, everything just feeling shady and not-right. The desk guy gave me a "I know something you don't know" kind of look. 2 students were checking in right before me, and immediately came back downstairs going crazy because it was a dark, modly shoebox of a room, with no tv. They only take cash!!!! Shady. It seems like a place people bring hookers for a couple of hours. Please don't stay here. Throw down money for a better hotel and your trip to NYC will be SOOOO much better!

Worst Experience

My wife and I booked this hotel knowing it wouldn't be much - but we were disgusted with what we paid $174 for one night for. It wasn't worth $30. The staff was unfriendly, we ended up having to buy our own towels because they were never available, and the room was shabby to say the least. Hotels and expedia would do well to take this off of their databases.We just came back from Peru, a third world country, and nothing there compared to how terrible this 'Inn' was. Don't book it!

hated the dump

worst place on the planet stayed for 15 mins room had no lock and a set of bunk beds oh and a radiator held up with bricks took photos and got money back when i got home went and stayed at holiday inn it was heaven

WEST SIDE INN

by lorelay

Hello travellers, does anybody know this hotel? It is placed at 237 WEST 107TH STREET in Manhattan? It's a safe area? Last time I went Manhattan I stayed next to Empire State and it was a very good place, but now i don't know anything about it. I' m going in ending November.
Thanks folks!

Re: WEST SIDE INN

by 10028

It's gotten terrible reviews on www.tripadvisor.com!!!

I know November and December are very busy here and it's tough to find a hotel, but you have to be able to do much better.

Use tripadvisor.com to compare rates and reviews on these upper west side hotels: Beacon, Belleclaire, Newton, Lucerne, Excelsior, On the Ave, Comfort Inn Central Park.

Also take a look at this site:

It's a nice little East Village B&B that's gotten good reviews. It's in a funky, hip, young neighborhood.

Another thought -- do you have access to www.priceline.com? If you do, start there.

Good luck!

Re: Re: WEST SIDE INN

by Wiley_Coyote

howdy fellow coyote!
well, i dont know about the hotel, but it's a pretty cool location. young hip and intellectual given the proximity to columbia university...and you're right next to central park. it's a little north of a lot of the tourist sights of midtown, but it's only a few minutes up the subway.

Comments