West Side Ymca

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 13% higher than other 1 star hotels

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Beautiful location

I stayed at the YMCA to give it a try. The weekend I was there, other hotels were way too expensive, and I found this one great value for money!

It's located at the Upper West Side very close to Central Park. In fact, only a 1 minute walk to the park.

The hotel room is cleaned daily and I had no problem with its hygeine. The room was a little small, but if you want a big room, I suppose you need a big wallet! Since I don't tend to spend hardly any time in a hotel on my travels, this was perfect for New York.

More about West Side Ymca

Basic but Clean at YMCA

by TripAdvisor Member Cosmico

If you are looking for a cheap hotel/hostel in New York City, but funds are limited (35$/night) and you don't consider luxury a must, West Side YMCA is defenitely an excellent choice !

After reading a few cockroach-horror-stories of other hotels and hostels in NYC, I was quiet hesitant to choose a 'cheap' hotel in New York for our long awaited trip.
But arriving at the Hotel/Hostel we were pleasantly surprised. Our room had a bunkbed, table and tv, and that was about it. But sheets, floors and etc. were clean, and even daily fresh towels were provided.
Also the slippers I brought for the communal shower in the hallway, were barely necessary (but always recommended ofcourse) as these facilities were very hygienic as well.

If you want to use the swimmingpool, do be advised that a shower-cap is mandatory, and not available at the hotel/hostel. So unfortunatly we didn't get a chance to try it out.

Otherwise New York City was S U P E R ! ! I will defenitely be returning and staying at the YMCA as well !

Great rooms, price, location

by TripAdvisor Member Earth

I stayed at the West Side YMCA for 6 nights in early September.

We stayed on the 13th floor. The 12th and 13th floors have been newly renovated, and though you pay a premium to stay on these floors, I'd say it's worth it. The room was very small (basically bunk beds and a desk), but everything in it (with the exception of the air conditioner) was near brand new and decent quality. It was like a very very tiny hotel room.

The shared bathrooms were some of the cleanest I've ever seen in hostels. They were individual rooms that opened using your room keycard. There were heaps of bathrooms - never had to wait even though the hostel was at capacity.

The location was great, just a few blocks from Columbus Circle (and the Whole Foods Market under the Time Warner Towers - great for breakfast etc).

The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel is that we had some problems with staff. Firstly, we made two phone calls from Europe, and talked to very unhelpful/unfriendly staff. When we got their, the hostel had no record of our deposit and said that they couldn't do anything about it (ie. we had no recourse with them) - so we paid extra, and are still trying to sort it out.

I would stay there again. Great for a budget room. $94/night for the "upgraded" room.

Good Location, But.....

by TripAdvisor Member Reviewer__Australia

Westside YMCA located near Columbus Circle is a great spot to see the sights of NYC. The security is pretty good and gym facilities are impressive. The bed linnen is clean and changed daily along with bath towels and the bathroom facilities are what you would expect of shared facilities. My only gripe were the vinyl floors in the rooms... I think the last time they where mopped was in 1983. Covered in dirt and filtly marks they really detract from what would make Y an outstanding place to stay. Shoes had to be worn at all times or your feet would be covered in black crap. Asked one of the cleaners to possibly give them a mop but to no luck. Staff were not overly friendly either which was a shame. Overall would stay again especially for the price but would take a mop, bucket and disenfectant with me for the floors!

Great Location, Great Price, Small Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member random-harvest

My cousin and I stayed at the Westside YMCA this past May and if you are looking for budget accomodations in NYC, I recommend it highly. It's in a safe neighborhood only a block from Central Park and Lincoln Center and near some great restaurants on Columbus Ave. The price can't be beat- $85 for a double room (2 bunk beds). There's a cafe that serves a reasonably priced breakfast and a gym and swimming pool that are free for guests. Although an older building, it's clean and the service was friendly and efficient. While I was checking in, there was a British lady who had lost her passport and the guy at the front dest was going out of his way to help her. Keep in mind, it isn't the Waldorf. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are down the hall. I only encountered one problem. The mens bathroom on our floor had terrible ventilation. There was no window and it reeked of urine. It was so bad my cousin and I went down to the gym and used the mens locker room to shower and get ready in the mornings. We are both guys so we didn't mind having to use the gym locker room plus we got in a morning workout. Overall, though, you really can't beat the location. We walked to almost everything and it is close to the Columbus Circle subway station. If I were travelling with my girlfriend I would want to stay somewhere a little more upscale but if I were travelling by myself or with other guys I would definately stay here again.

Don't stay there

by TripAdvisor Member vespa400

The worst place I ever seen. The room was very small and dirty (found nails on the carpet). In the 7th floor, where we stayed, there was one rest room for 60 rooms with two toilets, one of them not working, lock damaged. The staff is very unfriendly, impersonal and unwilling to help. Not for human beings.

location, location, location

by TripAdvisor Member LisaFife_Scotland

I have stayed in the WS YMCA many times, mainly due to finance and availability, although if you phone, they tell you they've nothing, I turned up after phoning and always got a room. The rooms are tiny and basic. The restrooms are always almost flooded, but strangely empty considering the amount of people sharing. The noise from rooms around you can be a bit much, people scraping their chairs above you is really nippy. The things you cannot fault: The location, the feeling of being safe, the on-site restaurant, where you can watch everything being made, the community spirit and just to witness the real life going on about you, no falseness, fake smiles, if the staff don't feel like it, they don't. The security is reassuring, if you're not meant to be in there, you won't be. I will be staying there in the next few weeks, to be honest, only because I will not pay $250 to stay elsewhere. I just love the fact that you can stand at the doorway and Central Park is right at the side of you, a ten second walk. I have also stood beside a few famous actors in the lift, they were using the gym. I have stayed in all the Y's in NY. They are all good value.

Grubby but excellant location!!

by TripAdvisor Member susanhb

The main reason I am saying it it above average is purely for the location which is absolutely excellant, its literally a stone throw away from central park in an area we felt very comfortable walking around even late at night.
The staff are friendly, but the rooms are tiny ( 10ft X 6ft) and wouldn't be the cleanest in the world altough the sheets and towels are. There was a tv in our room which we found handy for checking the weather in the morning to see what we needed to bring.
There is about 20 rooms per floor ( I think) so they all use one 2 bathrooms ( 1 male and 1 female) in the female bathroom there is 3 toilets ( one didnt flush properly), 3 sinks ( very bad drainage so you were washing your teeth and face looking at dirty water) and 3 showers ( which the shower curtains provided didnt actually cover so I wouldn't like if I was too modest).
If you are given a room near the bathrooms I would advise you ask for a new one as the doors are very squeeky and bang quite loudly everytime someone walks through them, the showers can be quite noisey when in use also.
Becareful when booking to make clear if you want a double bed or twin beds as we had asked for double and they gave us a twin room.
If you are staying for 2 or 3 nights I would defo recommend it for the location and the cost, I was there 4 nights before going to New Jersey and was somewhat relieved to be going to nicer accomodation but in saying that you definitely get what you pay for in New York and it is worth it.
All in all if you are staying a few days go for it, but if you like your comfort when showering this may not be for you.
But they are still renovating so you might get nicer facilities then we did.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Ps. Bottled water is very expensice in NY but theres a little shop around the corner on 62nd and central park west which sells gallon bottles for a dollar.

Check out the 1st photo its a view from the 9th floor corridor.

Latest about West Side YMCA?

by dragonking

I've read the reviews at Tripadvisor. There seem to be some contrasting reviews although I noticed the negative reviews were from last year's and recent reviews were better.

There was some mention of the higher floor rooms being worlds apart from those on the lower floors because some renovation had been done for the higher floors. I wonder if by now all levels have been renovated?

I tried a few online reservation sites and strangely, there are no double rooms from now up to Sep. But single rooms are available. I just need a single room though but just curious why are the doubles sold out.

If anyone has the latest about that place, would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Comments