2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

4 West 31st Street, Between 5th Avenue & Broadway, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Orbitz.com Official Site Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 2.5 star hotels

• Waoife's Profile Photo

Large rooms, good location plus free muffins :)

The Wolcott Hotel is close to the Empire State Building and has reasonable room rates. It's an older hotel but the rooms are clean and very large by NY standards, with ensuite bathrooms. The free coffee and muffins in the lobby each morning is a nice touch too :)

Unique Quality: This hotel has a faded grandeur - check out the ceiling and chandeliers in the lobby area. The luggage storage area obviously used to be an impressive ballroom - pity the current owners haven't renovated it.

Directions: Just a five minute walk to either the Empire State Building or Herald Square (Macys)

• maity1607's Profile Photo

budget hotel in a great loation

The Hotel Wolcott - it is a budget hotel in a great loation 2 blocks south of the empire state building.

Warning - showers are fine as long as no one else on the floor is using it too but baths are good after a day on your feet & fill up quickly.

Try to get an upper floor - the decor is much nicer - we stayed in 1019 which had great views of the empire state building.

There are occasional odd smells - I think from people eating in their rooms but 10 minuits of air con & your fine.

Bed was the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel & air con was good if not the quietest model.

Unique Quality: Basically you sould be so tired that all you want to do is sleep & if so this hotel is perfect.

Check out the Heartlands Brewery/Bar under the empire state building - beer & food is great.

Directions: 2 blocks south of the empire state building.

• volarevolare's Profile Photo

In '98 I stayed in the Wolcott...

In '98 I stayed in the Wolcott Hotel on 30th Street East otherwise known as E 30th St.

It was a rather old but decent hotel with rooms that had private baths... it was undergoing some renovations when we stayed there, so overnight, the lobby was spruced up with new carpet and furniture!

In '01, we stayed in New Jersey at a hotel... I don't remember the name of it, just that it was one of the big motel/hotel chains like Best Western or something... didn't like it that we were not in New York proper.

Unique Quality: The location that makes it really convenient! You could even walk all the way from 5th Avenue down if you want... or walk from Times Square back too.

We did just that after watching a Broadway play one night! It was late, but the streets were still quite alive, and we had no difficulty or real sense of fear... of course we kept to the main street which was pretty well lit, and walked briskly... ;p

Directions: Wolcott Hotel on E 30th St. is a pretty good location. You'd be in walking distance to the Empire State Building, St. Francis Church, Macy's and the subway station. There's also Herald Square which is

• bonio's Profile Photo

Wolcott Hotel

Starting at around $110 for a double I think it's pretty good value for it's location.

Unique Quality: Good value hotel in a great position, nothing too fancy but very comfortable.

Directions: 4 West 31st St. This is ideal if arriving at Penn station, just a couple of blocks away, leave station on 31st exit, easy walk. Very close to Empire State Building, we could see it from our room, wow.

• Hotel Wolcott

Prices ranges between US$99 and US$255, depending on the date and how many people are staying in one room.

Unique Quality: Decent hotel, interestingly decorated. Friendly staff and great prices (for New York standards...)

Directions: 4 West 31st Street
    New York, NY 10001
    (between 5th Avenue and Broadway)

More about Wolcott Hotel

Very good hotel!

The Wolcott hotel is a good hotel! The location is perfect, near 5th Avenue, 2 minutes walking to the Empire State Building and 10 minutes walking ro Times Square. The rooms have quality, with comfortable beds and a big TV. The bathroom is big ans clean. I recomend this hotel for everybody who wants to visit N.Y.C

Absolutely Loved It

I just returned from a five day whirlwind trip of New York and the Hotel Wolcott was one of the best things about it. Some reviews made me nervous, but I tried to keep in mind that opinions are based on personality and everyone's is different. In my opinion, the Wolcott was everything I had hoped it would be. The elevators were slow but I was in no hurry and taking the service elevator when one of them was temporarily disabled made the NY experience that much richer.
The room was really clean, wonderfully decorated and surprisingly spacious. There were three of us and the third bed was in a separate partition with another TV. There was no view to speak of out the window, but a really interesting look at 'behind the scenes' NY, looking onto someone's rooftop garden and a quagmire of fire escapes (loved it).
The shower and all waterworks were just fine. The (large) TVs, for the two mintues we may have had them on (really, who has time to watch TV?), were in good working order. The in-room safe worked like a charm. The staff were pleasant and there were a lot of interesting (mostly European) people staying there. The location was superb.
The street the Walcott is on is short and at the moment there is a lot of construction going on. Not really a problem, it will be that much nicer when it is all finished.
I have stayed in many bargain hotels, including in London and Paris and I look for a hotel that 'fits' the city and makes you feel that you are part of what the city is all about. The Hotel Wolcott did just that.

It was OK, no big complaints...

by TripAdvisor Member MimiDee

I just got back from a weekend trip to NYC and stayed at the Wolcott.
After reading some of these reviews, I thought the place would be a nightmare. But it was fine. There are absolutely no luxuries here - but my room was clean, the bathroom was spotless, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I never spend that much time in my hotel room whenever I come to NY, and if you're the same - then this hotel really is OK for what you pay for it. Watch out for the water though! The temperature changes on you - sometimes it'll either scald you or freeze you. The elevators are extremely slow. But it was OK. Would I stay here again? Probably not - I do like a bit of pampering at a hotel. But - this was a last-minute trip, I saved a ton of money by choosing the Wolcott, it was clean, and not bad at all. No major reason to advise anyone to avoid it - in my experience.

Wolcott Hotel NY views

by ryaner

Hi

Going to NY in the New Year and staying in the Wolcott Hotel

Anyone ever stayed here ?

Read some reviews on Tripadvisor and seem that the higher up you are the better

i.e less bugs and better views

Cheers

RE: RE: Wolcott Hotel NY views

by sar29

We stayed at the Wolcott last spring and were pleased with the accommodations. The rooms are not luxurious and the bathroom is really small, but for the price and location, it's a good deal and the room was clean. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a view of the Empire State Building from our window. I don't know about the bugs you're talking about, but we didn't see any bugs in any areas of the hotel at all. The check-in staff and concierge were courteous and helpful too. Before our trip, I had read some negative reviews about the elevators being too slow, so I was glad we were on the 2nd floor so we could walk down the stairs. But we never had a problem with the elevators. The lobby is absolutely beautiful with a turn-of-the-century decor. They also have a free continental breakfast every morning which wasn't good, so we passed on that and went to the Brooklyn Bagel Company about a block down from the hotel on 5th Street. There's also a Dunkin Donuts across the street and a Starbucks nearby. For the price and location (close to subways, shopping, etc.), it's a decent hotel and I would stay there again.

Comments