Woogo - Central Park New York

240 West 73rd Street, (formerly YourStay), New York City, New York, 10023, United States
AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Woogo - Central Park New York

Hated it!!!!

The desk clerks were not customer friendly. Each person we talked to said they worked for the building and not the hotel. Hotel personnel not available. The rooms are exceptionally small. When both beds are pulled out there is no walking room. The person sleeping in the bed has to walk across the person sleeping on the converted chair/sleeper if you want to use the bathroom. The refrigerator was frozen over when we got there. The bathroom had so much disgusting grout dirt and when we complained they said they would send someone up...no one ever came. We asked for more towels, because some were missing - no one ever came!!!!

They have no guide pamphlets for tourist. You'd better have your trip planned out, because they are no help.

Do not stay here!!!!!!!

A Huge Mistake!

Read this review and stay away! Family of 5 booked the 6 person apartment. Stung by local taxes immediately on arrival, full payment up front because if they let you see the apartment first, you'd leave and find a good hotel for the same price or less.
We should have listened to the other negative reviews. This place is dirty, noisy, unsecure, and staff are unhelpful and disinterested. The accommodation is uncomfortable and poorly laid out with very small living area and dirty bathroom.
This is not Luxury! It is overpriced poor quality budget accommodation and yet is marketed as luxury. The image of the foyer is quite different to the apartment you get in every respect.

dirty

First night there was ok, though the lock is flimsy and basically anyone could probably break in if they wanted to. No chain on the inside so a bit weird.

Very excited about the gym and the location. Everything seems alright until you start to look really closely

1) Fridge freezes milk
2) have no idea if sheets were clean or not.
3) Dust everywhere
4) ROACHES EVERYWHERE
5) Doormen make it clear that they hate their jobs

Did not want to risk having roaches creep up in my suitcase, so I quickly packed and zipped everything up.

I really wanted to like this place because of the location-but dealing with roaches as part of the vacation package is just too much.

Wish I would have read the other write-ups before booking. I will be sure to spead the word..Perhaps the one on 53rd is not as bad...

They pulled the wool over me eyes!!! And I'm not a sheep!

I was very excited when my man Seamus decided to whisk me away to New York for a few days this August to celebrate our anniversary! Being the good Samaritan that he is, he also invited my sister Leslie and her husband Fergal. Let's just say that the excitement which had been coarsing through my veins took a turn for the worst as soon as we stepped foot in the building! After a long flight from Terminfeckin Ireland, we were very tired when we reached the hotel at 2am. The receptionist glanced at us as we stumbled in the entrance in a way that you would only glance at a fly in your Chardonnay! This was an initial turn-off and we couldn't understand his condescending attitude as we weren't exactly in the Ritz. Anyway, if anyone looks at my sister Les sideways she will put them in their place. Needless to say an argument ensued and we hadn't even boooked in yet! The receptionist was very rude and obviously dosen't work by the rule that the customer's ALWAYS right. We eventually booked in and struggled on our own to bring our bags to our room. This is when incident number two occured. I was painfully trying to carry my bag when I heard something crack. I dislocated my shoulder. Well, I didn't actually but it felt as if it was that bad... I was appalled at the lack of help from any member of staff. My poor Seamus had to carry both our bags in the end and I swear he is still suffering the consequences. He's only a small wee scut and I woefully miscalculated his upper body strength! So we got to our room and were appalled to discover how close the beds were together. We knew that we would have share together but we didn't think it would be so up-close and personal. It defintitely was not a good situation for me considering I've had a feeling for months that my man has taken a shine to my sister. Anyway, we didn't want the inconvenienvce of our room to ruin our stay so we put a bottle of bubbly in the fridge in order to celebrate our first time in New York. Well, it was in the fridge for less than 20 minutes but you would swear it had been on holiday in the Antarctic for a week partying with the Polar Bears. Now I don't have sensitive teeth but after I knocked back a glass of it I was roaring with the pain. Poor Leslie was like a hyena gone wrong and I felt her pain. She went into the bathroom to calm down before she turned violent, as the men were mocking us, only to scream even louder than before! There were brown stains on the grout between the tiles on the floor, and on top of the tiles, a cockroach! Despite her tough appearance, Leslie is a real wimp at heart and she whined for hours at the sight of the insect. It didn't bother anyone else though. Once I even ate a cockroach in a drunken dare.. No word of a lie. We just went to sleep after all the commotion and had a great time touring the city the following day. Night two in the apartment wasn't as shocking as the first but there was abad stench in the room which we couldn't get rid of. I don't think the rooms were very clean but at the same time Fergal has a bit of a body odour. So I'm not sure where to place the blame. At the end of our stay we were sad to leave New York but happy to leave this establishment. As we vacated the building we all hurled a truckload of abuse at thelovely receptionist.I hope that put him in his place. We were gonna pull mooners but decided not to lower ourselves to that level. Get up move out goooo!

Bad Deal

I am use to expensive small hotels from trips to Paris. This place is a complete rip off. Our short term studio apartment was very expensive given its size and quality. The towels smelled of mold (left in washer for a long time prior to being put in dryer?) The comforter smelled of B.O. The carpet and sofa where stained/damaged. The dresser had a broken drawer. The room did not fit the furniture (could not open night stand drawer as it jammed up against love seat.) Bed sheets were clean but had black stains.

If security is a concern do not stay here. No room safe and gap between door and jam means anyone could break into room while you are gone. Deadbolt that only locks from inside will keep you safe, but not your stuff.

Somehow this place got 3 stars. It is actually a 1 star facility based on damaged dirty rooms and lack of security.

For the sake of completeness here are the positives. Excellent location 1 block from 1,2,3 subway stop. Good TV with built in VCR and DVD and digital cable. AC worked.

You have been warned.

The Only Thing We Can Say Is DON'T BOTHER!!!

6 Days Holiday ...turned into 4 1/2 days ...because of the chasing up of people about the problems we incured...believe me a 2 bedroom apartment does not accomodate 6 people..it just isnt big enough ...just enuff room to make a cup of coffee in the kitchen part. Dirty bed linen, the mattress on the pull down bed did not fit the sofa. We moved apartment which wasnt any bigger, had no bed linen..had to ask for it which we didnt get, we had to go upstairs b4 taking the keys back and take the clean stuff. We had a leak in the bathroom 2 days running we had to wait 2 hrs from the time we told reception to the time a cleaner actually turned up, they then left the dirty towels and wet carpet in the bath in our apartment. Everything had to go through their London Offices.. we called a few times but all they said was to put our complaints in writing. Which didnt help us there and then. Had we not have had the kids with us we would have found another hotel!!
What should have been a very cool holiday turned out to be a holiday from hell!!!

I was happy with it!!!

I only stayed for a night over the thanksgiving weekend, and I found the hotel to be nice. The staff always greeted with a smile and were helpful, the room was nice and well furnished. THE LOCATION IS FANTASTIC!!!! It was well priced - I thought it was a great experience. The only downer was a moving toilet seat, however that was only very minor to the experience. THANKS FOR A GREAT NIGHT!!!

We loved it!

After reading all those complaints, i was of course wondering if this choice was that clever!

But well i have to say we had no problem at all!
We arrived at 3pm, got our room 15 minutes later and wowww the studio was perfect!!
We had booked the "Executive Studio"(3 max occ) and it was big enough for a couple : a large bed, a nice bathroom, a nice little kitchen, a coach. Everything was very clean and like on the pictures!
Large flat TV, clock alarm, hifi stereo, dvd & vhs player ...

Booked 2 days before we left to NY at 105 € per night, at just 5-10 minutes walk from Central Park, at 5 seconds walk (!!) from the subway and Broadway, in the Upper West Side ...

===> Well seriously what can you expect more in NY ??
===> The same room in any hotel would cost more than 300€ a day!!

I admit that for 3 people, it would have been a little bit small but for a couple it's perfect!
By the way, if you are a couple, I advice you to book the "Executive Studio" like us rather than the "Studio" ... you will be more comfortable and the price is almost the same.

However be warned : it is NOT a hotel : no room service, no cleaning service and i have to say the lock door was no very safe ...

VERY GOOD experience .. i will definitely come back there in the next future. Unfortunaltey we forgot to take some pictures ... but it is like on the web site pictures anyway.

Satisfied all in all

We've been there last week, 3 people in 1 Room. I think for 2 persons it would have been the perfect size, for 3 it was a little bit closely, but ok. The 3rd person had to use the bedcoach which was a little bit to soft for me, others may like that.
The bathroom was nice and clean with shower and tub.
We had a little problem with the bedcoach, because 1 cover was not there. I went to the checkin-Room and asked for it. 15 min. later it knocked at our room-door and we got it. So absolutly no problem with the staff. I would say that every staffmember we met was rather friendly.
We stayed there for 1 week, and there was 1 Cleaning-Session for our room in the middle of the week. If your accustomed to the daily cleaning in normal Hotels this might be to less for you, we had no problem with that, which means we could leave the room untidy, every day ;-))
All in all we were really satisfied with our stay.

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member entropy

Three of us staid in a studio for 4 nights - we were very skeptical after reading all the reviews and seriously contemplated changing our reservations to another place; but since we were only paying less than $100 US per night for this place, we figured we'll take our chances.

We were pleasantly surprised. Granted, by no means is this place luxurious, but it was very adequate (just a bit of background, we have travelled around the world quite a bit, and have staid in everything from 5 star hotels to dark and dirty hostels).

The negatives first:
1) the sofa bed for the 3rd person was way too soft; 2) no bedding was provided for the sleeper sofa until we asked for it, and even then, the blankets they provided for the sofa weren't comfortable at all - it was more like a thick piece of cloth;
3) there was only 1 set of towels for 3 people;
4) the central heating was too strong - we had to open the windows every night;
5) when we were there, only 1 elevator was working, so it was a long wait.

Now none of those really hindered our enjoyment. You can't beat the location of this place, it's about half a block from the subway and a 10 minutes walk to Central Park. It was in a nice neighbourhood - there was a Fairways grocery store half a block away - so you could stock up on drinks/snacks at your convenience.

As to the studio itself, it was clean and nicely decorated. We didn't think that it was too small. There was a large closet with hangers for your clothes and enough room to put your suitcases in there, and a big drawer in the room. Big TV with lots of channels, the kitchenette worked great (although the design of the kettle was horrible - I almost burned myself several times trying to pour water out of that thing). There was a nice little table and chairs near the window for you to sit down and enjoy a light breakfast. The bathroom was clean as well.

The staff was helpful, they weren't overwhelmingly friendly, but neither were they rude. They always answered our questions and gave us what we wanted.

So overall, we really enjoyed our stay. Considering the price and location of the place, I seriously cannot imagine anything much better. I think it all gets down to expectations, if you are looking for fluffy sheets, lots of room to move around, and great service, don't go here. But if all you are looking for is a comfortable place to stay and the convenience of getting aroudn NYC without spending a lot, then I would strongly recommend this place.

Oh, one last thing - we read previously that people felt unsafe staying here. We never felt that way (we are three females in our early 30s). There was always a security guy on guard down in the lobby, and we never saw/heard anything that would make us the least bit uncomfortable.

Apartment Rentals

by garridogal

Does anyone have any experience renting an apartment from WooGo.com or suletinthecity.com? Or can anyone recommend an agency they've used in the past for renting an apartment for a just a few days?

Thank you!

by nyc10025

Do NOT use Woogo. Look at link below.

by KarenTaylor

I haven't rented through an agency but do rent a place on the UWS
www.jacksbandb.com.

RE: RE: Apartment Rentals

by garridogal

Thank you both for your advice. We chickened out and got hotel rooms!

by julien10001

You can visit www.nyhabitat.com
I found my appartments with them.
bYE

Apartment for rent

by sof76

A friend of mine is planning a trip to NY next year and he'd like to stay with his wife and 3 kids at an apartment.
Any advice is appreciated!

by tmaresh

NYC is expensive. Manhattan has the most expensive apartments in the USA, higher than San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Boston.

A friend of mine paid $400/month to live in the porch of an old house in Queens. I visited him. To get to Manhattan, I had to walk two blocks to a bus, take a bus to the train, and then take the train into Manhattan. This house was drafty and also had a mouse.

Lots of luck! You may want to hire an agent!

You weren't expecting anything under $3,000/month, were you?

Generally, to live in NYC you have to be hopelessly rich, on welfare, or have special connections. Hopefully, you can get special connections through VT.

It's tough enough for one person, but for a family?? Good luck!!!!!!!

by devil66

vbro.com

by alisarivera

Hi - I may know of an apartment that may become available sometime this summer, but I also know of a wonderful 3 bedroom house in westchester county, ny which is about 45 miles north of the city and perfect for a family - the best of both worlds, nyc and all it's glory and the quiet, lovely country setting one so desires after a city jaunt. Alisa

by devil66

I hate to naysay anyone, but travelling 45 miles to get to bed after a night out is not what I want to do on vacation.

by sof76

Thank you all for the replies! I will give all the info to my friend and he'll decide! I agree, I would not like to have to travel that much after a hole day of tourism...
But, it's his call!

by travel2007

Hope this helps !!

by sof76

Thanks! That site looks great!

by 10028

There's also some good advice on the tripadvisor.com NYC forum. The most important thing to remember is to avoid WooGo, they are a disreputable company. Be sure to read all the postings on the tripadvisor forum. Here's a link to one recent thread:

There has also been good advice on their forum about apt. rentals.

by w.t.pooh

Try www.colbyinternational.com they have apartments in midtown or the village for $120 - $150 a night, I have always booked with these when staying in NY and being in your own apartment is great.
Hope this helps.
Lisa xx

Txs Lisa
The apartments look nice!!

NEW YORK

by taralluccievino

HI,
I'M LOOKING FOR A FLAT IN NEW YORK FOR THE PERIOD 20 DEC 2006 TILL 4 JANUARY 2007 SOMEBODY CAN HELP? WE ARE A FAMILY OF 3
CIAOOOOO

by 10028

It's the most expensive time of year! There have been a number of resources discussed on the NYC forum of tripadvisor.com, so you should absolutely post a message there. A popular company is the Affinia group. Of those, the locations I like best are the Affinia 50 and the Affinia Dumont. Also consider a budget hotel that has a small kitchenette. I like the Beacon on the beautiful upper west side (UWS).... I think it's the best neighborhood in the city! Or, in midtown, there's the Salisbury and the Belvedere.

Whatever you do, under no circumstances should you even consider booking with a company called Woogo... you can use the search function on tripadvisor to learn all about those criminals!

Good luck!

by 1bodhran

Try www.craigslist.com you may be able to get a short sub-let.
Tom.

by pjdubai

Hi

This is the company I booked through last time I was in NY. Three of us shared a one bedroom studio. It was a bit cramped but it was fine and the location was fantastic. I'd book now though if you are interested. Good luck.

Luxury Furnished Apartments in New York City
Upper West Side - 73rd Street & Broadway

Studios - One Bedrooms Two Bedrooms - Weekly rates

Luxury 24hr Doorman Concierge Building, Completely Renovated - Gym Facility - Laundry Facility, Marble Baths - Designer Decor
ELECTRIC, LOCAL PHONE and DIGITAL CABLE TV INCLUDED

Conveniently located one block to subways and buses.
Only a few blocks to Central Park, East River Park and Lincoln Center

Phone: (212) 808-8101
Fax: (212) 808-8105
www.LaraGroup.net

by taralluccievino

I thank you very much indeed, I will try today.
Have a good day you all