Wyndham Garden Hotel- Manhattan Chelsea West

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Wyndham Garden Hotel- Manhattan Chelsea West

I will be back!

by TripAdvisor Member Worldtraveler7799

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel Chelsea in New York City. I was informed the hotel is brand new and opened this past November. I was delighted when I got to the hotel and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. I arrived a little early but the girl at the front desk made some adjustments and allowed me to check in early. (This was wonderful as I was exhausted.) The hotel also has a great little cafe that serves Starbucks coffee and the girl that was working in there was also very nice. The room was perfect, it had complimentary internet access and the bed was FANTASTIC! I recommend staying at this hotel; the staff was great, the service was great, and my room was great! I will definitely be back!

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ParisGirly22

We just got back from a two night stay at the Wyndham Chelsea. The hotel just opened, so it's very modern and clean. The bed was amazingly comfortable too- it was hard to leave! The rooms are tiny, but typical for Manhattan. The staff was extremely courteous.

One thing to note is that the hotel is small so they don't have a full array of services. I didn't check out the gym, but heard it was small. Room service isn't offered, but there's a small cafe downstairs that has coffee and pastries.

I'd recommend staying here if you are looking for something in Chelsea, don't mind the limited amount of services and can get a good rate.

What a great find!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kforin

For my anniversary I searched Expedia for some great deals but at the same time looking for a hotel my girlfriend would approve of. I was pleased to find both with the Wyndham Chelsea. We had reservations not too far away in the Chelsea area and wanted to do some shopping so the location was ideal. I was a little nervous because my girlfriend only likes the high end hotels but took a chance (and my walet and I were glad I did!).
We were greeted by a friendly desk agent when we checked in. She helped us with directions to our restaurant and a slew of recommendations about shopping. The lobby was tasteful and airy, a nice welcome. We went up to our room and was pleasantly surprised. I travel a lot on business and are used to tiny hotel rooms but the rooms were more spacious than most and the bed was VERY comfortable!! My gf loved the bathroom and the free ammenties in it. When we returned to the lobby, there was a cute starbucks behind the desk area and a nice lounge in the back of the hotel. I was greeted by everyone I came across and was even introduced to the GM and sales staff. They informed me that they were opening a restaurant in the now lounge area but were free to use the space during our stay. My girlfriend was won over by the staff and the great decor of the hotel, we actually extended our stay one more night!! The staff was ever accomodating, always bubly and willing to please and I love the personal service by the management staff.
I wanted to share my experience for those interested in a great NYC experience and also for those for a romantic getaway.

mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member moholiday

Let's see, first they lied and told me thay had an airport shuttle from JFK... surprise...no shuttle, take a taxi at $40!!
Then my kingsize bed was not available so I got 2 twin beds....Nice touch!!! Also lots of attitude thrown in for free!!
And I paid over $200 for one night!!
Typical crappy, mediocre service for way too much money, I'd never recommend or stay at this place again.

Nice...Needs improvment in Customer Service and Relations

by TripAdvisor Member Zeppi63

My family and I spent 6 nights over the holidays at this property. Great location however the staff could have been a bit more friendlier. When we inquired about some city tours, we are from Europe, the person at the front desk placed some brochures on the desk then walked away. We returned to our room one night after being out all day to find that our room was not cleaned. After calling the front desk a staff member did come to our room with a bottle of solvent and a rag and basically asked what needed to be done. Our bed was not made and she HONESTLY said that we could make it ourselves.

When we left the hotel and upon arriving at the airport noticed that a bad with personal belongings was missing and that we must of left in at the hotel. We immediatley called our travel agent who reserved these rooms to ask him to please call the hotel and advise them of our missing bag. A phone call was placed approximately 2 hours after leaving the hotel advising of our missing bag,a Burberry Shopping Bag, and our agent was informed that the Houskeeping Manage would return his call.

No call was returned that evening or the next day. He called each day with the same respone that the Housekeeping Manager would return the call. On the 3rd day he phoned again and spoke with a woman who said she would inquire about the missing bag, now being 3 days, and would call him back which she did advising him that no bag was found ( How STRANGE) and that she did see an empty Burberry Bag in the garbage.

Of COURSE they would not find anything. If this so called Housekeeping Manager truly wanted to assist then a phone call would have been returned within 24 hours unlike the 72 Hours it did.

I find it EXTREAMLY dissapointing that a new property would treat customers or a travel agent this way and not go "that extra mile" to assist.

Overall Good For NYC

by TripAdvisor Member taiwandave

It is small- NYC small but otherwise for $189/night in midtown a good buy (think a japanese size room). I like the Wyndham chain but was a bit surprised at the small size and lack of amenities. But this is NYC. The check in was good with polite service. When we came back at night- about 1am on a weekday, the key card reader did not work at the main entrance. We buzzed the clerk and he was not friendly to say the least. He seemed annoyed the card reader was broken and kept disturbing his sleep or whatever he was getting behind the closed door. Beds were very comfortable and room well stocked. Bathroom a bit worn out and not as clean as I would expect from a Wyndham, but better than average for NYC. Upon check out the staff at front desk was friendly and quick to offer advice on breakfast options. Overall I would stay there again because price is cheap for NYC and its location. Just need to check the night clerk's attitude into the unemployment line.

Avoid this place

by TripAdvisor Member BordedTravler

This place seemed like a great deal- $169 for a king in mid town. Plus it is a Wyndham....We checked in at about 7pm and the employee were ok. He did not seem to really want to be bothered with questions though. upon entering the room, the bathroom was filthy and the bed sheets were not clean. Called front desk and we had a room change. Bed sheets 'appeared' clean but bathroom was still less than clean. We dealt with it. We went out and perhaps this was the same night as the other review but the card reader did not work to let us in the building. The front desk person was not friendly at all. In fact we thought he was going to break out in violence- no joke. He yelled and was visibly upset we bothered him. The room was on the 14th floor facing 24th street. It was pretty quiet. The room, as well as building, is very small. I agree with previous post it is Japanese size room. Even smaller than I would expect for NYC. When we woke up, the coffee machine in the room did not work and instead of sending us a working one suggested we go downstairs and get a coffee from the coffee shop....um, does that not negate the purpose of having one in the room?! At the least they could have delivered them to our room. Upon check out the front desk staff gave advice about breakfast but they spoke so fast we did not catch it. When we asked them to repeat he rolled his eyes and gave a smart remark. Well put. I will never be back here. IT is dirty, small and the employees know nothing about customer service.

Great Service Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Hetap

Booked this hotel because it was a new hotel and at the perfect location. It was on a quiet street close to great restaurants, bars, and attraction. It was a spur of the moment trip because of the great rate we found. The service was phenomenal. The lady at the desk was so helpful and seemed interested to make sure our experience was a good one. She gave us maps, a list of free things to do in new york city, and gave us recommendations for dinner. We walked to the Empire State Building, then to Rockefeller Center, shopped at Saks 5th Ave, then spent the evening in Times Square. The room was clean and in the morning I was glad to see they had a Starbucks on site. Everyone from the staff was so friendly even the housekeeper cleaning my room was so nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York City.

Pretty nice...would stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member morris357

The good:
Nice location in mid-town close to subways
Staff is friendly and accommodating
Hotel and room were clean
Very comfortable bed
Coffee in room is actually drinkable
Free internet access in rooms and lounge

The not so good:
Room was very small (guess that's somewhat normal for NYC)
Bad setup with the shower. It's small and the shower curtain doesn't stop water from getting out onto the bathroom floor very well.
Website implies that there is a restaurant at the hotel, but it's just a cafe with pastries and sandwiches.
Sound travels through the walls quite well (although noise wasn't too bad)
Housekeeping was pretty loud outside our room around 8:30 AM. Not so good when you want to sleep in.
Got stuck in the elevator for about 20 minutes which caused us to miss our shuttle to the airport. However, the hotel covered the cost of a car service for us and provided a complimentary breakfast which totally made up for it.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here, and would stay again if in NYC.

Be forewarned, this is a poorly managed hotel

by TripAdvisor Member travel600

After reading all the 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor, I thought I had a great place to stay at this new hotel, but I now wonder if these are even legitimate reviews. The hotel itself is decent, but the management is obviously terrible. The hotel is new, and the property is (typical New York) small and somewhat cramped, but clean and comfortable.

The problems began on the first night when water started pouring through the bathroom ceiling at 4:45 a.m. Partially due to the ridiculous design of the shower stalls and shower curtains (which always flood the bathroom floor when you shower), and also due to the drunken guest who passed out in his shower with the water running, I had the pleasure of a virtual waterfall coming through my ceiling with someone's shower overflow pouring down all over my belongings. It was so bad that I was told I had to pack up all my things (at 5 a.m.) and move to another room.

You might think that the manager would make a point of apologizing in some way later that day, but no such luck. Instead, they just never cleaned my room. I never complained because I was so tired from getting no sleep during the first night of my stay. I just wanted to get some rest. However, it was a futile effort to try to sleep for an hour late that day since staff members had to continually slam every door as loudly as possible, had to yell back and forth down the hall to have conversations with other employees, and other workers in the room next door had to blast hip hop music while doing work on the room with the room door open. You can hear every bit of the noise from the hall as if they are inside your own room.

After the second night there, I had run out of clean towels because they never cleaned the room the previous day and because I had to use half of the clean towels to dry the flooded bathroom floor which occurred every time I showered, because the shower curtains don't fit the shower stall. I made a point of going to the front desk where I spoke to the head of housekeeping and asked to have my room cleaned by a specific time late in the afternoon when I knew I would be returning to my room. I was assured this would be done before my return. Even though I returned a half hour later than planned, they again, never came to my room and cleaned nothing.

Should you actually have to fight with the staff of this hotel to get them to do their job?? They have absolutely no regard for their guests and have no concern at all whether or not you are having a bad experience at the hotel. If this is the type of experience you receive from a newly trained staff, I can only imagine how they will operate after a year or so in business. Again, it wasn't a dirty (other than shower overflow) or uncomfortable room, but the staff was terrible.

I see that the management likes to reply to negative reviews on TripAdvisor in an effort to appear to readers that they are concerned and want to satisfy their guests. This is nonsense. They were well aware of how bad my stay was and did nothing about it other than continually making the stay more frustrating each day I was there. Guest satisfaction is anything but a priority at this hotel.

GCT from outsideGCT from outside

traffictraffic

Me and the girlsMe and the girls

ORPHANED LAND live at Gramercy TheaterORPHANED LAND live at Gramercy Theater

Mega bus

by tuff

Does anyone know if Mega Bus still running the route between New York City and Toronto, Canada? The Mega Bus web site does not allow me to purchase ticket after September 18 of 2010. Is the route being discontinued or is Mega Bus going out of business?

Re: Mega bus

by Dabs

I imagine they only sell tickets up to a certain date (ie 2 months in advance), I was able to see tickets for September 28th but nothing past that. If you select 2 more cities you'll probably find that you can only get tickets up until the 28th as well.

Re: Mega bus

by tuff

Ah! You are correct, I see they just put the schedule up on the week I wanted. Thanks. Now I just need to find the promotion code to save a few more bucks.

Comments