YMCA Greenpoint

Satisfaction Terrible

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

• bladedragon's Profile Photo

Yet another YMCA hostel

The place is decent, the room is decent, TV and AC in the room, shared bathroom, no hot water for shower, 24-hour check-in.
    There are some supermarkets and restaurants around the area.

• CesVT's Profile Photo

If you don't mind cockroaches...

The Whitehouse Hotel may be the cheapest place offering single and double bedrooms right in the heart of NYC, but, having stayed at enough hostel in my younger years, I couldn't face the lack of a ceiling to the cubicle-privacy?
    So I found a hardly more expensive alternative in the more remote neighbourhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn... On my second stay there, I picked the regular (ie cheapest) type of bedroom, wich, with a weekly fee, brought the night rate somewhere around 37$... breakfast at a local diner included!!
    Well, let's face it, that room and the corridors were badly in need of redecorating-filthy carpeting and bedcover (and I once saw a huge cockroach runing right under some bedroom door at the inferior level), although the sheets were perfectly clean and the towels changed every day. Toilets, showers and sinks reasonably clean considered they're being used by dozens of people every day, and I never really had to wait... You can also use the swimming pool and attend other classes if you want to exercise (it's included in the price)... In any case, it made it possible for me to spend close to 2 weeks in the city twice, both in the fall of 2005 and the spring of 2006, and I didn't mind the commuting (you get there with the subway, G and L lines)... But if you're ready to face old and dusty, I still recommend to pick a double "Deluxe", which has a very comfortable double bed and a TV (not the main point), and, in my experience, was cleaner than the regular bedroom...

Unique Quality: CHEAP!! Quiet area with lots of restaurants and places to buy food (I love the "Natural Garden" on Manhattan Avenue-it's Polish and has its own brands, but it also has fresh fruits, drinks, yoghurts and hot tea and coffee...)...

Directions: Greenpoint, Brooklyn 11222
    If you take a cab from JFK, make sure the driver knows his way-on my first stay, the guy got lost and we drove around for almost an hour and a half!

• Fewf's Profile Photo

How did it....oh.

At first we couldn't understand how we'd just gotten such a ridiculously cheap room right across the East River from Manhattan. Then we realized that the bathrooms (and showers) were out in the hall, and were shared by the entire floor. That actually didn't prove to be much of a problem at all--there was a sufficient number of showers that there was no line, etc.--and we'll probably try to get a room there again next time we're in the city.

Greenpoint is a Polish neighborhood, so you're likely to run mostly into Poles while around there. We found that once we went into the side streets, some of the people we'd try to talk to couldn't understand English and would answer in Polish. Russian got me along, but with great difficulty. Get on a main street if you want to ask for directions or anything else in English.

Directions: Take the subway (G) to the Nassau Ave. station, walk two blocks up Manhattan Ave. to Meserole Ave., turn left, and it'll quickly be on your right.

More about YMCA Greenpoint

Greenpoint YMCA subway

by lovenewyawk

I know i brought this up before but I am staying

at the Greenpoint YMCA when i come back to the city

in January.

One issue though, I have heard service on the G is

awful. I will be coming back to my room in the

wee hours of the morning, will i have trouble getting

back to my room?

Re: Greenpoint YMCA subway

by IrishNYC

Service on the G is very sporadic at best during the day, and almost non-existent at night. The L train stops almost twice as faw away from the Y as the G train, and it's service is also fairly sporadic at night but better than the G.

Alternately you could take one of the better lines, E, F, 7, N, W, R to Queens or Queensboro Plaza then take a short cab ride to the Y.

Re: Re: Greenpoint YMCA subway

How far away is the L actually? I mean I am very

used to walking. I went on a twenty mile walk

two weeks ago.

Re: Greenpoint YMCA subway

by nicolaitan

probably not a real good idea to walk anywhere from the L train's first several stops outside manhattan. probably shouldn't even be on the L train.

Re: Re: Greenpoint YMCA subway

by lovenewyawk

Never mind, the simpler solutuion is to stay at the

flushing the YMCA, where the #7 is around the corner

and has very good service.

Comments