6 West 32nd Street, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com  RedRoof.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• leics's Profile Photo

Clean, central, convenient....

Central Manhattan is an excellent location for my visits: easy to get from JFK, near Penn and Grand Central for my onward travel, easy access to other areas of the city on foot or by using public transport. I'd have stayed in the Comfort Inn Manhattan again for this second visit, but its prices had risen a bit too much. It took a while to decide but I eventually settled on NYMA.

The hotel is on W 32nd Street, one block from the Empire State building and the heart of 'Koreatown': lined with Korean restaurants and eateries and thus always busy with people (but unfortunately, lined with restaurant rubbish in the early mornings and thus rather smelly in the summer heat). It feels a safe area for a solo female who prefers to explore on foot.

My double room was clean, comfortable and well-appointed with tub as well as shower, pleasant toiletries, efficient free wifi, safe, flat-screen TV, coffee-maker and a very comfortable (for me) bed. The air conditioning is centrally-controlled and, although absolutely necessary in 90+ degree heat, it was somewhat fierce and noisy. The room windows do not open.

The lift was efficient enough and I did not have to wait too long at any time of day. Breakfast is served in quite a small room; it might be difficult to get a seat at busy times, although I had no problem sitting at the 'bar' in a side room. There's a choice of various bagels (with cream cheese or preserves), cereals, toast, yoghurts, doughnuts and basic fruit (apples and bananas) as well as coffee (good) or tea and juices.

Hotel staff were efficient and courteous but rather 'cold' in manner. There's a couple of computers available for guest use and a 'concierge' on duty during the daytime to help out with tours etc etc.

The NYMA is nothing really special but it does provide a reasonably-priced, clean and adequately comfortable base in a very convenient location (literally 2 minutes' walk from the Empire State building). I'll certainly stay again if I can find nothing better for the rate.

Directions: Nearest subway is 33rd St on the Green Line. About 20 minutes' walk from Grand Central, less than 10 from Penn.

• Good, cleaĆ­, plain, decent.

Hi guys.
    I stayed there from 11.04.2007 to 21.04.2007.
    Very good choice for low budget travellers. The prices for ny hotels are sky high!
    We asked for a large room and we had one. Quite clean and decent, they had it cleaned for us everyday. The rooms have small refridgerators and microwave ovens, which is very convenient for a long stay traveller.
    The staff is quite helpfull and they have an info office at the lobby, where you can ask anything about ny or even buy tickets.
    The breakfast room is very small and perhaps you might have to wait untill you get a table, but i guess that's alright. Didn't see anyone complaining.
    The subway is almost across the street. 2-3 min walking.
    And there are a lot of interesting Corean restaurants in that street.
    Overall, it's worth staying if you're not looking for luxury.

Unique Quality: The Empire State Building is a couple of minutes walk.

• vyxxyn's Profile Photo

Recommended for low budgets

Excellent service by front desk. Staff are extremely helpful and polite. Rooms are clean on check-in although there will not be room service (someone to make up room) througout your stay. I shared a double bed room with 2 others and space was sufficient even with our large baggages. Of course this is a budget hotel, don't expect Hilton-style rooms! However our room was close to the ice-machine and disrupted our sleep 1st night whenever it dispensed ice or made new cubes. Problem solved by unplugging the unit. Breakfast included but a simple buffet spread of just cold muffins, cold danish pastries and coffee/tea.

Unique Quality: Great views from higher floors 15th storey and up. Excellent front-desk service. Great strategic location within walking distance to a metro station (34th Street), Times Square, Rockefella Centre, Theatre District and many many eating places! We even walked to Central Park. Would definitely return when in the area.

Directions: 2 blocks away from Empire State Building. About midway along 32nd Street, where east meets west. Red Roof's one of the terraced units within a block. It is NOT a stand-alone building.

More about nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel

Red Roof Inn Manhattan

Neveer having been to NYC, I just blindly chose a hotel to stay in for our 7 day stay. I couldn't have chosen a more perfect place! Red Roof Inn Manhattan is wonderful. It is a basic hotel, low prices, but it is so worth the money, if not more. Our room was clean with a king size bed for me and my honey. The room was an adequate size, especially for NYC. We got lucky that our hotel room looked directly at the ESB, which was one block away. Make sure and ask for a room facing it; it's lovely. The staff were courteous and the bartender at their tiny hotel bar was helpful and fun. The location could not be better too. ESB, Broadway, Times Square, 5th Ave., and the UN are right around the cornors. The hotel is sandwiched between Broadway and 5th, right smack in the middle of Manhattan. I fully and utterly suggest to you to stay at this great establishment. It may be a cookie cutter hotel, but it's the right one for non-NYC travelers. Couldn't have been better!

Red Roof Inn: Who says NYC is expensive?

by TripAdvisor Member Jerseyguy5254

I live down the Jersey Shore and go out with friends from the City every month or so. I always am pissed off when I have to leave early to catch my train and started looking for a place I could stay. I only had 3 requirements: Cheap, Clean, Safe (oh and not extremely out of the way, I mean somewhere in Midtown). The Red Roof meets all three (or 4).

After reading reviews on this site and various others (including Travelocity), I noticed that I had never seen a bad review on this place and the price was consistantly cheaper than most. So I stayed at the Red Roof for 1 night on January 10-11. Price was excellent $89, the weather was not it was freezing in the single digits with wind chills below zero, very unusual to get this cold in NYC.

Checked in around 7pm, walked from Penn Station, which normally would be ok because the hotel is only 3-4 blocks, however since it was brutally cold the Red Roof seemed like it was 80 blocks away LOL.
Recieved room 1610 on the 16th floor. Lobby was nicely decorated and so was the hallways.

The room was great, it was really clean and although it was small (not unusal for NYC), it wasn't too small to move around. Didn't have the two chairs like another reviewer stated but WHO CARES. Take turns sitting what do you think the bed is for. Bathroom was clean and a decent size. My only complaint was that the flush for the toilet was hard to reach as it was on the side they should have put it on the front.

All in all, it was a great place and an EXTREMELY GOOD value for NYC..Who ever thought you could stay in NYC for $89 at a clean, safe, convienent hotel? The best part is the RediCard Frequent Traveler program, after 5-6 stays in the city ($500 total spent), I'll get a free night.

I will definately be back, just don't too many people stay here, I don't want this place to be sold out

Minimalist Accommodations

by seagoingJLW about Days Inn, Super 8, Knights Inn, Red Roof Inn, etc.

These accommodations offer the bare minimum for a very low rate.

Days Inn can be found at:

Super 8: http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home

Knights Inn

Red Roof Inn
http://www.redroof.com/ These are fine for a night's sleep, but don't expect any luxuries/

Loved the atmosphere

I thought RRI was lovely. The staff were very welcoming and the room was very nice and equiped. When I come back to New York, (hopefully in april) I'm definitely going to stay at Red Roof Inn again.

Clean, comfortable,quiet - very nice hotel!

My wife and I stayed in the Red Roof Inn for 5 nights in September of 2003. The hotel is all new and modern, very clean and very comfortable.
The staff were great to us, the free breakfast was edible, and the location was very convenient to subways, Amtrak and the Long Island Railway. Lots of restaurants, walking distance to Times Square. We had a blast, and got a great nights sleep in a very quiet and comfortable room. I will definitely stay there next time we go!

Good Solid Value

Based on comments from this site, we spent two nights at the Red Roof Inn. It was a good solid value. The room was on the small side, but very well appointed and quiet. The free breakfast was basic, with no frills, but the staff kept the area clean and well supplied. The best aspect of this hotel is the location, near transportation and Herald Square. If the weather is nice, get a cup of coffee and walk one block to Greeley Square which is a great place to sit in the well landscaped park, read your paper and watch the city.

Red Roof InnRed Roof Inn

Red Roof InnRed Roof Inn

Red Roof Inn: Mount Laurel, NJRed Roof Inn: Mount Laurel, NJ

Affinia Manhattan Or The Red Roof Inn?

by wildbluheaven

I am bringing my daughter for her 14th birthday for 2 days to NYC .. I have read the reviews for both hotels,The Affinia Manhattan, and The Red Roof Inn, and both have good reviews. Does anyone have a recommendation on which one they would choose over the other? I am going next weekend, and can go either way at this point.. The reason I have gone with them is they are close to Penn station, and to shopping. Of course the Affinia has the Kitchen which is nice, but I was just hoping for some last minute comparison of the two if anyone has any opinion. Oh, the Rates for the days I am going are
$199 a night for the Affinia, and $179 a night for the Red Roof Inn.. Thank you!!

RE: Affinia Manhattan Or The Red Roof Inn?

by LLH58

Hi:

My daughter and I are also going to NYC. We are leaving May 31st and returning home June 3rd. We are staying at Affinia Manhattan and have not heard any bad reviews. I think it is in a better location than Red Roof Inn even though they are close to each other. Affinia is real close to Empire State Building. Have a great trip. I am hoping my feet will hold out!!!!!!

RE: RE: Affinia Manhattan Or The Red Roof Inn?

by pat333

hi there!
wow! really surprised at the hihg price for Red Roof Inn. We went through priceline.com and bid and got 2 nights at the Hilton Hotel Times Square for $140 US per night. we are leaving for new york tomorrow.

RE: RE: Affinia Manhattan Or The Red Roof Inn?

by wildbluheaven

Wow, that is a great Deal! I was surprised too how much the Red Roof Inn was myself.. Then when I looked again,it had went up to $199 a night At the Red Roof Inn.. I ended up going with Affinia Manhattan,And that is $199,I kept my eye on it, because for weeks it was $269. I will be in NYC from June 2nd until June 4th~ We are really excited about this trip~

Comments