Howard Johnson Express Queens

Chestnut Pasta with Pistachio SauceChestnut Pasta with Pistachio Sauce

Chocolate Eggplant CakeChocolate Eggplant Cake

street addresses

by Bobchapman

It would be a help if you would post street addresses with your descriptions of sites to visit. We don't ALLL arrive by subway!

by leics

To whom are you addressing this question?

All pages and tips on VT are written by individual members. They may or may not include street addresses. If you want to let individual members know that street addresses would be useful, you will need to leave a comment on their pages or send them a VTmail.

by colin_bramso

Leics, another new member who doesn't bother to tell us anything about himself and doesn't bother to see how the site works before posting a complaint!

by leics

Spleen must be vented, I suppose. :-)

Travel Tips for Queens

Rego Park: A REal GOod neighborhood in Queens

by sharala

Queens is a treasure trove of overlooked but interesting history. Take my neighborhood for example:

Beginnings: In 1665, it was part of the vast central Queens area that the English settlers called New Towne (or Newtown). Later it was known as a place of rich farms where horse-drawn carriages picked up fruits and vegetables for delivery to the Manhattan markets, but it still didn't have a name until 1925, when an enterprising pre-Levittown developer of 45 acres of farmland advertised the area as a ``REal GOod'' place to live. Thus Rego Park got a name.

Turning Point: Home developments sprouted on the farmland in the early 20th Century, but prospective home buyers from Manhattan's crowded neighborhoods could only reach the area by taking the Jamaica trolley from the Queensboro Bridge. That changed in 1928 when the Long Island Rail Road station opened, and the population swelled. By 1939 Rego Park had the city's first Howard Johnson's. The restaurant was torn down in 1969 to make way for the 11-story Queens Tower.

Claims to the Famous: A host of show biz personalities found Rego Park a REal GOod place to live, including comedians Sid Caesar and Eddie Bracken, burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee, actresses June Havoc and Alice Faye, former Miss America and city Cultural Affairs Commissioner Bess Myerson, TV producer Fred Silverman and former Knicks star Willis Reed.

Where to Find More: ``Pictorial History of Queens,'' by Vincent F. Seyfried, material in Rego Park Branch Library, 91-41 63rd Dr.

courtesy of LIhistory.com I've lived in Queens 3/4s of my life (in Brookyn the other 1/4). And when I'm away, I miss the vastness of it --relative to other places in New York City. I miss the greenery that is much easier to find than in other places in New York. When I'm away, I miss the local merchants who service a varied ethnic population. As a consequence, it's so easy to explore and sample the best of other cultures.
I even miss the sound of planes! Yes, growing up in a neighborhood fairly close to Kennedy Airport (Rosedale), you always hear the roar of planes--an inconvenience you get used to, like waiting 40 seconds before you can hear the TV again! But it also give you an appreciation of travel. It's a special memory of mine to trace one plane after another, first a British Airways, followed by a KLM, followed by a Delta, followed by a JAL, followed by a Royal Air Maroc, and so on. It's not a stretch to say that my wanderlust and love of travel derive in some measure to watching the planes go by. When the international terminal at Kennedy was new, back in the 1960's some families would make an outing of coming to the airport to watch the planes from many lands come it. There was an undeniable romance. I just had to look out the window of my bedroom! Now, living in Central Queens I'm between both LaGuardia and Kennedy. I don't hear the planes quite as much, but when I do, I'm reminded of that fond memory from earlier years.

The Mets at Shea

by Karnubawax

I put the tip on seeing the Mets here on my New York City page. So check it out.

For now, here's a pic for the ladies. This is the guy who fixed my broken seat on the spot. Now that's service!

Great French food in queens

by liqdstar about Rouge

I love Rouge Bistro. THe food is amazing and the staff is so friendly. They have these great olives on every table, and this "flight of wine" thing thats great for people like me, who love wine but don't really know much about it. You get four little glasses of different kinds of wine (you have to choose either red or white), and they're all really yummy.
Its a great place to sit around for a long, slow dinner, without having to deal with the usual snottiness found in most NY french restaurants!

also, the prices are decent. as usual im going with the alcohol...the flight of wine!

Great Colombian Burgers and more

by Gypsystravels about Xtasis

My daughter and her husband love coming to this restaurant. It is a Colombian fast food burger place that serves some interesting burger combinations along with yummy fries, hot dogs and other yummy Colombian treats. The burgers are made fresh to order and are piled high with so may toppings like bacon, cheese a special sauce, pickles, tomatoes and even pineapple. Kris and Jon usually order the combo, that is the burger with everything, while I like my burgers with few toppings, usually just cheese and onions.

The fries are thick cut and very tasty. They also have Choladas which are fruit smoothies. Its a burger place, one of the many burger combinations!!

A Queens Landmark

by coneyislandgreen about Eddie's Sweat Shop

Not only do I take my nieces here now but my sister, friends, and I used to venture off to this place daily as kids and my father and all his siblings did the same. Anyone in West Queens, the old Queens, knows all about Eddie's. Even Raymon from the famous TV Series has been eating ice cream here all his life and I even had my first date here as a teenager (it went well).
Nothing in the place has changed, all the decor is exactly the same since it's origional opening over 60 years ago but the building itself including the inside has been the same for over 90 so the ambiance brings you back in time to the point where you wonder where your dad liked to sit and what was his favorite ice cream. Best of all is the ice cream, it's classic, everything made fresh and served up in the proper fashion and proper dish.
It's located deep into the historic section of Forest Hills aways from Woodhaven and Queens Blvds. It's located next to a movie theater, great for a date, as well as some restaurants, pizza joints, and antique shops. Chocolate egg cream; Chocolate Syrup, milk, and seltzer stirred.

Comments