89 Six Flags Drive, Queensbury, NY, 12804

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

• Birthday Party Disaster!

We Had our 7yr old twins birthday at the lodge. we were told that when we arrived their would be someone waiting to bring us to the party area, we has to hunt that person down and when we found her we where herded into the bar area with another large group onto the balcony. She yelled to us to take the table all the way to the end..and left. We were all dressed in our winter clothes and coats. Sweating we ate pizza and then asked for knife and forks wich took her two trips. When done she told us to go ahead down but we had to take EVERYTHING with us. Two adults, and 7 small children, presents, two cakes, towels, jackets, shoes, suits, two large pizza boxes! I asked her to show us downstairs and she proceeded to walk very fast with us running behind with everything and children. When we got to the locker area she told us to find a free on..No Way everything would fit!!! Then we realized on of the 4yrold children was missing. We told our "party host" and she said oh no go ahead and look for him. That was it!!! We were yelling for him and not one employee would help!!!!! They said to tell a life guard!!!! Thats what they need let a kid drown while looking for another!!! NOT ONE EMPLOYEE IN WATER AREA HELPED LOOK FOR MISSING 4YR OLD!!!!

More about Six Flags Great Escape Lodge

The good, the bad, the loud

by TripAdvisor Member lisa1063

I booked the weekend as a gift for my daughters bday. I booked a 3 queen bed and sofa online. The pictures showed three rooms total, however when we got there we were given a two room, two bed suite. Since two kids didn't come it was Ok but what if they had where woulkd htey have slept. What annoyed me was the woman at the front desk said well you only have 4 in your party anyway so why do you need a big room. We reserved it and paid hte first night deposit that is why. They lowered our rate, but it was still $10 more a night at check out then they quoted at the time of check in. However, by then I just wanted out of there so I left it. However be aware that there is approx $30 in tax added to each room including occupancy tax. This did not show on the web either. The water park is smaller than Great wolf in poconos and Massanutten, but cleaner than GWL and quieter than both. However our room shared a common wall with the park so it made sleeping before 11pm difficult and kids running around the halls also made it loud. It is a family hotel so some to be expected but at 5AM??? The food left alot to be desired and the wait staff serving are the worse I ever saw. (except the two women at the coffee stand, how they kept up with the crowds is unbeknowst to me.) there are limited options for breakfast so glad I brought cereal. Eating at the tavern was OK if you don't mind the heat and noise from the water park rising to you on the balcony. The programs are really good, and the duck race was really fun. Kids liked tea with Granny. Teh arcade was fun for the kids, but they need more help in checking out at the prize booth, the line was sometimes 30 minutes long.
The main focus was the waterpark and the kids spent hours in there without being bored there were 4 in our group (another family had a standard room and I thought it was smaller than other hotels) and the kids ages 8-9 were all happy. I think 4 days three nights was to long of a stay.

Had a blast!

by TripAdvisor Member monicajay

Stayed one night on Saturday, Nov. 18th with my DH and two teens (14 and 15). We really had a great time even with a few quirks.
Check in went very smoothly at 2pm and we were in the waterpark before 3. The room had two queens and a sofa bed and seemed a bit larger than most standard hotel rooms. The bathroom was huge but had a pedestal sink so there was no counter to put things on. There was a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee pot with really good coffee provided. Furnishings were with the theme of the Adorondak, bears, moose, trees.

The water park was great, no big lines and we loved the surfing machine. Both water and air temperatures were good and the bright outdoor light shining in was great. If you closed your eyes while relaxing in a chair you could almost be on a beach. There were always plenty of towels and although most chairs had stuff on them, there were still a few empty ones around.

The snack bar served beer that was actually cheap (rare for a hotel) 22 oz draft was only $4.50. Of course this helped add to the vacation atmosphere.

We ate at the tavern (inside not on the deck) and although we had a bit of a snag getting a table, they don't take reservations, we tried to make one but when we came back an hour later they said they had an hour and a half wait with a list of names, a quick talk with the manager ironed things out and both food and service were fine once seated.

We would most certainly go back to this hotel but probably only for a night, 2 at the most.

If you go, look into the waterproof digital cameras, they lend them to you then give you the pics on a disk for around $23.00

great family fun

by TripAdvisor Member tennisgal86

This is a great place to take a family with small kids or kids at heart. We took my boyfriend's nieces there for an overnight and they had a ball, the rest of us had a god time relaxing in the very large hot tub as well. they always have things going on for the kids, an arcade, story time, breakfast with the characters, or the night we were there they had a scooby doo mystery thing. sady for those things you need to sign up early so the girsl didn't get to go, but they still met some of their favorite characters walking around the hotel. I believe all of the rooms are suite style and hold at least 4-6 people, so it's not the best spot for a romantic weekend unless you don't mind a slightly higher price, but for a family spot it's perfect.

NIce Hotel - Terribe Trapper's Restaurant Management

by TripAdvisor Member Daddyman

My family and I stayed here during Christmas for 3 nights. It was probably one night too many, but the waterpark is fun for the kids. But the rides are few, so it gets tired after a while. For 2 days, it's okay. It is similar to one of the Great Wolf Lodges if you've been at one of those, but about 20% smaller.

As for Trappers, let me vent. They had a holiay buffet dinner for $26 adults, $13 kids. The room where the food was located was dimly lit -- for a reason as I later discovered. There was little selection - ham and turkey carving table, a few veggies and a table of pies. The meats were dry. Some of the veggies ran out and were not replenished. The best items were the apple pie (got the last slice) and the ice water. Management should be ashamed of themselves for charging such outrageous prices for such terribe food, what little of it there was. I left my thoughts on the check with the notification that I was going to post this review on Tripadvisor, so others don't get ripped off.

Do youself, you stomach and your wallet a favor - go to Outbacks or the small bar in the hotel on the 1st floor instead. I guess they named the place Trappers for a reason - they trap you and take your money!

Two stars - Four for the hotel/waterpark and zero for Trappers. I wish I could give Trappers a negative rating instead.

PERFECT FAMILY FUN!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tcebo

We spent 3 days here in jan 2007. We went with another family with a total of 6 kids between 2 and 8. This was the best trip ever!!!!! They offer all kinds of kids activities and crafts that we never even got to! The kids were all about the waterpark and so were the adults for that matter. Hotel was immaculate, beds were comfortable, room was clean, place was nicer than expected. I don't think their website does it much justice. Kids were thoroughly entertained!! By far the best family trip we've taken so far aside from Disney. TIPS: Don't attemp to check in early....They haven't mastered that yet...guessing people have a hard time leaving! The waterpark closes from 12 -1 daily, which if you have little kids makes the perfect excuse to give them a nap with Dad and hit the outlets!! Also the restaurants on premises are a bit pricy but there are several known chains within 2 miles. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

A Great Escape

by TripAdvisor Member The_Dudes

Just returned from 2 night stay at the resort with our 8 and 5 year old children and we loved it. Had room 224, which was centrally located so we did not have far to walk. Room was clean and large enough for us. The electronic safe in the room was appreciated as we now have to travel with a passport when driving into the US.
Kudos to Six Flags for using energy efficient lighting and low flow toilets at this resort!
Water park was perfect at this time of the year. Not too crowded and nice and warm. We particularly liked the lazy river and would swim and float for arounds around this one.
The storytime was a bit disappointing, just a character sitting there while someone read the story. Library area can get crowded. They should have an alternate area or lay it out better. Turning down the lobby music at this time would also help.
Fitness room Universal gym was out of order. Don't get a room next to this room (3rd floor).
Ate mostly in town (Friendly's, Red Lobster) as prices were more reasonable.

We Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member NYSTEPH

We have a 20 month old and when we arrived we were greeted to a warm welcome by all the character that roam the resort. Our room was nice, however my husband found that his sheets were not changed on a nightly basis. It just makes me wonder if they are changed between guests??!! We left this on the comment card and hopefully that problem will be remedied. Our first night there we ate at Trappers. Other reviews are right about it being pricey. It cost $70 for 2 adults and 1 child. It was also very slow service. I would not recommend it for small children as there attention span is not the best for sitting and waiting. However the breakfast buffet on weekends is great. The water park was a blast, we stayed in the toddler pool and lazy river most of the weekend as our daughter loved that she could climb and slide by herself. The waterpark was clean but loud. It was hard to hear each other talk. Another annoyance was that the park closed from 11AM-12 and nothing opened to eat luch until 11AM so you can imagine things in the resort get very crazy during that hour. Not to mention our daughter eats lunch at 11AM and we had to hold her off for about a 1/2 hour until we could order and get her something to eat. Possibly opening the Birch Bark Grill in the pool area would alleviate this problem. Another lesson I learned was always bring a mat for the tub. My daughter must have fell a million times as she was trying to manuever around the bath tub. I would also bring a portable humidifier as the rooms are VERY dry. Overall the weekend was a must do. We plan on returning however the check-in and check-out policy makes it almost impossible to spend just one night as you can't check-in until 4PM and check-out is at 11AM. Not even a 24 hour period of time. For over $230 a night, that seems a bit ridiculous. We live nearby (within an hour) so we are contemplating a day pass return. I wouldn't recommend staying for an extended period of time as I am sure after a couple of days at the waterpark even the biggest water park enthusiast would get bored. A must with KIDS!!

Great overnight midwinter getaway

by TripAdvisor Member RGC1218

We went here while it was absolutely FREEZING outside. Made the reservation online, and they had a special $189 rate, which included the room and all 5 tickets to the waterpark. Since we arrived on a Monday the place wasn't anywhere near full, so they let us check in and go right to our room at noon!! Kids (and Mom & Dad) played in the waterpark all afternoon, took a dinner break (TV dinners in our room..saved $$$ and didn't have to leave the hotel) then back to the waterpark till 9. Also had time for a couple more hours in the park before checkout at 11AM. Great time had by all. I doubt you could do more than two full days in the waterpark, though; there's only so much they can cram in the space. Our room was VERY quiet (try for the 4th floor). When we asked for tea bags they were brought up immediately. The lighting was a bit dim. But everybody was extremely courteous. In the waterpark, there are lifeguards EVERYWHERE, and all attractions were open. The lifeguards watch the kids like hawks. They even checked to make sure I was OK when I closed my eyes for a minute in the hot tub. I felt very comfortable letting my kids "do their own thing" a bit while I hung out in the "adult" hot tub. The water in all the rides was very warm, and it was great to look outside & see the snow. Make sure you have a video camera handy the first time someone tries the surfboard wave..guaranteed they'll take a spectacular crash like I did!
A very fun overnight getaway!

Great for young families but the walls are thin!

by TripAdvisor Member whalingcitymom

This is a great place for families with kids 13 and under. Expensive but you get your money's worth. The waterpark is much more fun than a hotel pool, it's kept very clean and the staff is very polite and friendly. There is a secret hot tub for mom and dad in the middle of all the action and the lifeguards do a good job of keeping the little goobers out of it so you can relax. The big sliding tube rides are very fun even for adults. The snack bar is good, a few things are crazy expensive like the dippin dots but the nachos, burgers and salads are good and priced fairly. Food is cooked to order so it's relatively hot and fresh. We didn't eat in the restaurants because we thought they were too expensive. There are plenty of places nearby to eat more affordably or more fancily (or quietly) if you just can't stand screaming three year old boys for another minute. The hotel has that weird corporate Disney/Universal feel to it but the lobby furniture is really comfy and the huge fireplace can really churn out the heat. There is a quiet reading nook off the lobby with another fireplace. The breakfast bar is very good and priced very reasonably. It's slow in the morning and there is often a line so just sip your coffee and be patient. The cashier gets rattled easily so don't ask too many questions. She means well. Coffee is very good and the muffins are excellent. Rooms are typical motel/hotel rooms and if you can get one with the extra sofa bed in it's own nook those are really nice. We had a microwave and frig and we really appreciated it. The bathrooms are small but nice. Lots of great towels, really thick and thirsty. Beds are extremely firm and the rooms can get hot at night. If you've got tweeners who are going to complain that everything is boring this is a good hotel for them, kids can go off on their own safely and find other kids to complain to and bond with...or get involved in all the activity. Ski areas are a quick drive when you need to get out, we liked West Mountain to the south on 87, another family-oriented ski mountain with a fun tubing hill and good cheap food. I would go back to this hotel if my kids we not at the top end of tweenerville.
My only complaint: The walls between rooms are very cheesy, lots of sound transmission from your neighbor's and children running up and down the halls. Don't get rooms above the game room, avoid 239 through 243 or you'll hear all the game machines until 11pm at night and man, they are loud!

Perfect for 2 nights

by TripAdvisor Member QuinnClan

We went during February vacation when the resort was completely sold out. I thought it would be too crowded and noisy since it was vacation week but I was pleasantly surprised. There were plenty of open seats, always towels available and no wait time for rides. It was surprisingly laid back and not noisy at all, my husband and I actually relaxed while the kids (5 and 7) had a ball enjoying the water. Prices for food inside the park were extremely reasonable. Overall, we were really happy with everything here. We felt that 2 nights was just enough since it isn't huge and there's only so much to do. Great for ages 12 and under, may be a bit monotonous for teens....

Comments