Rochester Plaza Hotel

Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

• What a dump!

This hotel is disgusting! I stayed here, on business, 9/16/2007. The hallways smell of mold and the hotel is outdated. The first thing that I observed, when I got to my room, was that the ceiling panels looked like it was about to fall out because of heavy stains. It looked like something had been dripping on it for awhile. There were stains on the bed sheets, yellow stains on the blanket, and brown stains on the bed cover. The toilet did not flush. You have to reach into the toilet to manually flush it. The rooms do not have adjustable air conditioning. If it is still considered warm outside then only cold air is blowing. The hotel makes this call. It was 45 degrees when I was there and cold air was blowing out of the system. There is no way of turning off the cold air in the room. I contacted the front desk on the several occassions to get my air turned off or adjusted. Finally someone arrived and turned it off down the hall. The walls are paper thin so get ready to hear what everyone is doing in their room. The doors leading into the rooms are very heavy. When people left their rooms on my hall, the doors would slam shut. The traffic noise is unbearable as well as the train horns. I would avoid this place if I were you. Go somewhere else.

More about Rochester Plaza Hotel

Just Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member ajbrm94

My eight year old daughter and I stayed at the Crown Plaza while we were in town for the Tim Mcgraw concert last year ( I think it was October). Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We had breakfast in the morning in the dining room at the hotel and it was excellent. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. The walk to the Blue Cross Arena was very manageable, even with a child. Before and after the show there were plenty of people around, so we felt very safe walking at night. I just made another reservation for the Kenny Chesney/ Pat Green concert and we are looking forward to staying at the Crowne again and checking out the pool this time!

Very Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member fourstar

Stayed one night en route New York. Very nice room,spacious, and clean. The bathroom was a reasonable size and again clean with plenty of linen.

The lower restaurant served a good range of food and wine at very reasonable prices.

The ground floor business centre gave free internet service to guest with 3 computers available

We would not hesitate to stay again.

Not good

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingMattandErin

Paper-thin walls...the Narcotics Anonymous conference attendees were loud all weekend--day and night--during our stay. Everything in the hotel is old and tired. Not bad for a one night layover but if you're spending a week and want to get some sleep, I wouldn't recommend it.

The Worse Hotel I have Ever Stayed At.... Deplorable!

by TripAdvisor Member Anolan

My husband and I arrived at the Crowne Plaza on February 3, 2007. When we walked into the lobby it is was beautiful. Marble floors and counters. However when we entered our room it was deplorable. The room was extremely small. I could barely turn around in the bathroom. The sink in the bathroom was leaking. And the furniture was so old and run down it looked like it came from a garage sale. The heater which was out of the 1960's would not turn off the entire night. Which left my husband and I sweltering. Dont be fooled by outward appearances this hotel is Bad. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my family or friends, and I am Not Recommending it to you.

Take inventory of your belongings...

by TripAdvisor Member deb0208

We stayed at this hotel in July, 2006 for an overnight stay on our way home from Cape Cod and Boston. The room was fine - clean and adequate. The desk clerk at check-in was less than friendly but got the job done.

My major complaint is the way we were treated AFTER we left the hotel. I discovered (when I was unpacking at home) that we had left a small bag in the room with books and magazines in it (totally our fault for leaving it). I immediately called the hotel - was put through to the head of security but had to "speak" to his voice mail. Long story short it took a long time (2-3 days) for them to get back to me with a runaround story that nobody found anything and refusing to speak to the people that cleaned our room making excuses that they had no reason to question anybody. My complaint isn't that we didn't get our bag returned but that they didn't seem to be too interested in solving our problem.

The neighborhood is a little rough. Our 17 year-old son was approached by a homeless guy panhandling, while he went out for a walk. The hotel is OK, but please be sure you don't leave anything behind or you'll never see it again.

Crowne Plaza NO AC again!

by TripAdvisor Member Redleader4

Well, second stay almost within a month. Same problem. Goto room and no AC. Hot and muggy. Called front desk he told me to wait for maintenance to come and fix it. After about 20 minutes of waiting I decided to go to front desk to change rooms. Front desk clerk wasn't very pleasant, or helpful. He was on the phone most of the time. Changed rooms and finally got some AC.

Average - Just Fine

by TripAdvisor Member Kenjay212

Despite similar air issues (rather Goldilocks - one room was too hot, one room was too cold) overall this is a fine, average hotel.
The new bedding/sleep program are nice (signs of improvement in this chain) and the staff accomodating.
If you want the Ritz, stay at the Ritz. Otherwise, this is a typical, average stay (clean, usual sized room) for a this chain in a location such as Rochester.

I thought it was great!

by TripAdvisor Member lucki4

I was very leary about staying here after reading the reviews from this site. I had no choice, it was the only hotel available and was for business so I had little say in where to stay.
After the reviews on here, I was more than pleasantly surprised on how it went.
From the beginning with the shuttle driver coming promply to the airport until I left with a different shuttle driver who was just as informative and nice, I had a wonderful stay.
The room was clean and very comfy. They had these little sleep packets including ear plugs, a sleep CD, lavendar linen spray and an eye mask, but I didn't need the ear plugs, it was very quiet. I used the security box daily and they were very helpful, as it is the staff was always helpful and very cheerful and any requests I had were immediately taken care of. There were a few extras which made the stay so nice such as a candy jar on the room desk, oversized fluffy towels and snacks when I came back from work. In addition, the beds were so comfortable and had 7 pillows per bed!
One morning it was raining and the airport shuttle driver gave me a ride into work so I didn't have to walk in the rain. What service!!

I partook of room service and both restaurants and everything was good and had a great deal on the breakfast buffet!
I would stay here again over the other hotels in the area, even though it is a longer walk to work. It was a very pleasant experience and I highly recommend this hotel.

Wonderful Pool

Stayed for one night on the way back to Toronto from the Finger Lakes. Quite, clean. Had a room on the 4th floor with exit to the pool. Our two children loved it.

Comments