199 Woodcliff Drive, Fairport, New York, 22850, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• Pretty spot, but not what it used to be...

Had been to the Woodcliff years ago for a weekend jaccuzi room get away. Looks as though nothing has been done to the place since I was here last. This time, as a special mother/daughter get away with my 8 year old, for $250 dollars we got a room that was larger, but not with the jacuzzi in the room as requested (we were told that was 371 dollars!) and the bathroom was missing grout and clearly dated and aging. Room service, which was expensive, was sparse at best, and just adequate in terms of quality. Additionally, there was no way to turn the modestly sized flat screen tv so that it was visible from the bed - had to physically turn the entire armoire...The pool, which had a nasty, soupy"thickness" to the water, left such a stench of clorine that even after showering, it was overwhelming. It too was only marginally clean looking, and had an overall dingy appearance. When an eight year old (who is primed to be delighted)is visibly disappointed, something is amiss. Had thought about bringing my partner here for a romantic (and even more expensive) couples weekend...so glad I did this first. Yuck.

Unique Quality: Great view, convenient location, pleasant staff.

• Courteous service, attention to detail

We had our daughter’s wedding reception at Woodcliff last May. Woodcliff’s beautiful facility, friendly courteous staff, excellent food and attention to detail all contributed to making our reception everything we wanted it to be. Sarah Yannello was our event planner. She was very pleasant to work with, but most importantly, she got the job done very well.

Sarah’s many emails, phone calls and updates, kept all the plans running smoothly. She even called me on the day of the wedding to let me know we were running out of gift bags for our out of town guests. Everything else she did was so thoughtful and much appreciated. She worked with us on the big and little kid meals, and a gluten-free meal for one of our guests. She put the grandparents in a room close to relatives. She even coached the bride and groom through the cake cutting and feeding. She left a lovely note, champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries in their luxurious bridal suite. I could go on and on. Sarah, Stepahnie, and the entire staff really worked hard to make sure the event was enjoyable for us and our guests.

All of the doormen and door women we encountered were very helpful in every way possible. One doorman was especially helpful and kind when, late in the evening, I asked him to keep an eye on one of our guests, a woman alone, as she walked out into the parking lot by herself. He assured me he would see to it that she was safe and he did. Little things like that make such a difference.

So many of our guests commented that this was one of the nicest weddings they had ever attended. They raved about the food and the service, along with the atmosphere. Our complements to the chef, kitchen and wait staff and the pastry chef! I certainly would highly, highly recommend the Woodcliff to anyone who is looking for someplace really special for a wedding reception.

• Terrible Guest Services

The hotel is very pretty, the rooms are nice and the food is delicious. However, the service is terrible. I recommend staying at the hotel but avoid hosting events there.

My wife is from the Rochester area and we stayed at the Woodcliff Hotel and Spa the week of our wedding along with over 100 close family members and friends. We had our rehearsal dinner in the hotel's conference room. Using the room required a $9500 minimum and we did not have that many people so we worked with Guest Services Manager Sarah Yannello to create several grazing stations (i.e. salad station, meat/carving station, pasta station, etc.) and other specific expensive food items to meet the minimum amount required for the room.

Unfortunately, when we arrived for the dinner, we quickly realized that Ms. Yannello had failed to communicate our specific requests to the chefs and servers. Instead of getting the specialized items we had asked for, we ended up with boilerplate items for each station. While these items were delicious, it was not what we had ordered and we were very frustrated. After receiving our bill of over $13,000!!!, we asked Ms. Yannello for a discount representing the missing items and other grievances we had with the dinner. She admitted that the missing items were her fault but completely downplayed their value and would only offer us a discount of $320, which we felt was grossly insufficient.

The following is a list of the specific grievances we had with the dinner:

- We ordered lamb to be served at the carving station at an exorbitant additional cost. It was never delivered. We were still charged for it.

- The only plates available at the carving station were small salad plates. When we asked the servers to get larger plates they failed to do so.

- We requested imported cheeses, fresh berries and whipped cream for dessert along with cookies for an additional cost. Only cookies were provided. The servers brought out whipped cream that had spoiled so we sent it back. New whipped cream was never delivered.

- There was no soy sauce provided at the sushi station.

- The bartender served our guests top shelf gin even though we had instructed him and Ms. Yannello to only serve house gin to all guests other than my father. This resulted in a higher bar bill.

- We had specially ordered wine for the event. We quickly realized that it was not being served and had to ask Ms. Yannello to get it.

- We had to ask several servers for mustard before it was finally delivered.

While these grievances may seem trite, I do not think that I am being unfair when I expect the service to be impeccable and everything to be as close to perfect as possible when you are paying over $13,000 for one meal. Further, no groom wants to spend the night before his wedding asking servers about items that aren't being delivered. And while I understand that things inevitably go wrong and are beyond people's control, all of the errors made at our dinner could have been avoided with better preparation, communication, and organization from the Guest Services Department. Ms. Yannello is a pleasant person to talk to but she is clearly unorganized and not good at her job.

More about Woodcliff Hotel and Spa

Powder Mills Park. Great...

by nuker

Powder Mills Park. Great place to hang out. Excellent hiking areas. Right next to Woodcliff Lodge. Fish hatchery. Cross country skiing, sledding, and beginner skiing in winter. Great place to hide and have a BBQ in summer. Located off of Route 96 in Bushnell's Basin. Look for signs. Many different trails to walk around on. A must is the walk to the top of Sand Hill. Once at the top, walk down the front where the sand and the Railroad ties are. In the summer, my friends and I always hung out in the park. After work, that was the place to be to listen to music and drink some beers.

Comments