The Saratoga Hilton

534 Broadway, (formerly The Saratoga Hotel and Conference Center), Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Travelocity Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Alazzo1's Profile Photo

Call for the Best Price

We wanted a dinning experience at Chez Sophia a wonderful French restaurant located on the first floor of the Saratoga Hotel. I had read in the e-news-gram that you could get a rate of $77.00 if your were dinning there. I called to get a reservation and was told it was not available after some questioning I found out that they have an off house reservation system this rate was not in the computer. A call to the hotel connected me with a manager who offered us the $77.00 rate. So call the hotel you might get lucky.

The rooms are very nice and the restaurant is super.

The web site in March offere rooms at $129.00 I would still call if you are going to have dinner there.

Unique Quality: A large convention center connected to the hotel. Located in down town Saratoga Springs a fantastic award winning small city and home to Skidmore College. I heard that it will be taken over by Hilton and will be branded as a Hilton Hotel. The hotel has a very nice pool and Saratoga is a Spa city with the Public Baths and the Crystal Spa. During th Racing season Saratoga becomes a crowded tourist attraction with the Saratoga flat track and the Saratoga Racinio and harness track nearby. Check out the web site: http://www.thesaratogahotel.com/

Directions: Down Town Saratoga Springs. Exit 15 off of Route 87 about 4 miles west on the corner.

More about The Saratoga Hilton

Will absolutely be back

by TripAdvisor Member Coachdonovan

Not sure about some of the guests who posted earlier reviews, but our stay on a holiday weekend was great. There was some remodeling going on in the lobby and exterior parts of the hotel, but the rooms and hallways were very clean and quiet. Rooms had been recently re-done with modern furniture/fixtures. Free parking and just blocks away from all the shops, restaurants, and bars in downtown S Springs - what else can you ask for?

It's OK, but under Renovation

The rooms were nice, but travelers need to keep in mind the place is under renovation. Service was efficient, but not very friendly. There are no directions to room numbers, but I chalk this up to the hotel still remodelling.

NIGHTMARE!! (from a former saratoga resident)

by TripAdvisor Member stella108

I was just checking this website for advice on hotels in another city when I came across a post looking for advice on this hotel and I was compelled to sign up and answer them- THATS HOW BAD THIS PLACE IS.

It's not a roach motel. In fact the bed was quite comfortable. It's in the center of town, which is great. A+ for location.

But being a former Saratoga resident I should have known better. This is THE place in town for hosting conventions. In fact, I remember every weekend there was something. So if you're booking on a weekend, I would look elsewhere.

I have stayed here 2x. The first time there was a youth basketball tournement in the hotel. The kids were noisy, but it was contained within the lobby. My biggest complaint was that the place was a little dirty. Coffee stains all over the linens. A fairly thick layer of dust on every surface. Parking in Saratoga is always an issue on the weekends, and though this hotel has it's own lot, it is quickly filled by non-guests in town to hit the many bars and restaurants. We had to park at the very far end of the lot and walk through the snow, as the lot was also poorly plowed. A little nitpicky, I know. I'd rate that experience a B.

We tried the place again this past February. We entered from the parking lot side and checked in in the temporary lobby. The hotel clerk was very nice and welcoming. We took our room keys and headed towards the actual lobby (under construction) and elevators, looking forward to a nice warm, comfy bed after a 10 hr drive from Virginia...we rounded the corner and were greeted by a sea of screaming preteens. Not like a dozen. Like more than a hundred. Maybe two hundred. the lobby is pretty large and it was wall to wall.

at first we took it in stride. did we wish that maybe the nice friendly clerk would have given us a head up about the youth retreat? Yes. But we didnt plan on spending much time in the lobby so we figured it would be fine. It wasnt. There were maybe two other parties in the hotel that were not related to this group.

The kids completely overran the hotel, screaming etc. Because this was a retreat for a religious group, there were also booths in the lobby displaying posters of aborted fetuses. Charming. And, try gettting an elevator when at any given time both of them are loaded with children hitting all of the buttons. At one point, while waiting for the elevator, a large group came streaming out of the nearby stair well and knocked me over. I'm not kidding.

I do want to clarify here that I don't have a problem with children. I wouldn't expect them to behave any other way : there was pizza and soda everywhere and they were excited. What was shocking was the lack of control and presence by the management (or their parents..but I'm not giving my money to the parents). I never saw anyone. No one controlled the elevator situation, no one patrolled the hallway to make sure they were not bothering other guests. Never. Not even after I complained and was told I was not the only one who had.

After speaking with the manager, he offered to knock my nightly rate down to 60 dollars which i thought was very accommodating and fair. But the next day, when I went to check out, he had only given me one of my two nights for 60 dollars. I was told that nothing could be done as it was sunday and the manager was at home. I had to say that i was not giving them my credit card until i was given the agreed upon price. eventually the clerk issued me the credit.

I kept saying to them "I never complain at hotels- I never do this..." (and really i NEVER do) because i was so embarassed to be arguing over the price. If the manager had had any integrity to begin with i would not have been put in that situation. I did not feel that this hotel particularly cared whether or not we were unhappy customers.

So if you're thinking that this whole thing is an anomaly, let me go over the things that were wrong with room besides the crowds.

Our cable did not work at all. Not a huge deal, but it's supposed to work and it didn't and we were told it could not be fixed at that time. When I told the desk about it, I got the impression that it was just our room with the issue. Again, there was a good layer of dust on everything, and the front of the toilet was broken from where the bathroom door rubs up against it whil opening and closing.

So lets say you get lucky and there are no conventions happening. Don't be fooled by the slick modern furnishings. They do look nice..but its pretty obvious that the place is cheaply done. I guess partly it's the principle that bothers me- they say it's a 4 star hotel. You need to know not to expect much from this place, because it's pretty chintzy.

I am getting married in Saratoga next summer and had talked to the sales dept about booking rooms at this hotel. I am now booking at the Holiday Inn. I would recommend you do the same. This place is not what it seems.

Disliked Saratoga Hotel and Convention Center

by TripAdvisor Member PAC042306

Saratoga Hotel & Convention Center, Downtown, Saratoga, NY
August 2006

Upon checking in, front desk was not very helpful. Felt rushed.
Hotel room was not as expected. Run down. Bathroom did not have a fan and the bathtub had a slow drain. Windows were very dirty. Cleaning service each day was not good. Could tell
it was done in a rush.
We had Sunday brunch at the restaurant within the hotel. The food was good, but the service was extremely slow.
Would not recommend it.

Jersey City, New Jersey

First class hotel.. celebs stay here

by TripAdvisor Member sunla

Just returned home from an amazing girls weekend in Saratoga Springs, NY not only is Saratoga beautiful but the stay at the hotel was fantastic. I even saw Mariah Carey!! This has to be the new "IN" place to stay in Saratoga! Right outside is tons of bars and restaurants you can hop around to and walk back to your room!! Huge plus.. no drinking and driving.

Fabulous 4 Star All the Way

by TripAdvisor Member reservationsplease

To anyone who stayed in this hotel during the consturction needs to give it another chance.We also stayed there last summer while it was under construction. Although the conditions weren't the best we felt the staff and management did an excellent job at making us as comfortable as possible. But this year - WOW!!! You need to see this beautiful hotel. Everything has been renovated and it is an exquisite four star hotel. I would have to say The Saratoga Hotel has the BEST BEDS in New York State. The lobby, the rooms, the french restaurant - all exceptional. A great exercise room. The front desk staff made check-in a breeze. The concierge made reservations at a great restaurant, Earl the porter showed up with extra pillows and a smile. The maintentence man showed up in minutes when the battery went on our remote for the TV. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay a great experience. I would not stay anywhere else in Saratoga NY.

Worked out well

by TripAdvisor Member dgstan

We reserved our suite at The Saratoga months in advance. Thanks to Hurricane Hugo, all of our flights were delayed and we ended up arriving very late at night. After making it to our room, we basically collapsed from exhaustion. Shortly thereafter, I realized that we were in a "smoking" room - something we expresslly did not want. I could tell because it was so bad that my throat was swelling up, making it hard to breathe. I couldn't really blame the hotel, since we arrived so late and this was racing season - the hotel was booked.

To add insult to injury, sleeping was not an option due to the HUGE air conditioning units right outside our windows that kept cycling on and off relentlessly.

In the morning, I spoke to the young lady at the front desk about our problems and she assured my that we'd be moved to a better location later in the day. Buoyed by here assurances, we drove to Boston for some sightseeing, since it was Tuesday and therefore no racing. Around 5:00pm, while still in Boston, I decided to call the hotel and make sure everything was going as planned. Guess what? They had no record of our complaint and had done nothing to solve our issues. What's more - they were booked and there were no other rooms available!

As you can imagine, I was a little upset. This vacation was going downhill fast. Luckily, I remembered the girl's name from that morning and explained my situation yet again. I guess I cursed just enough to get connected to the manager. Slowly and without too much vitriol, I explained my situation yet again. Here's where they changed their tune - he assured me that we would be moved and that everything would be satisfactory.

We got back to the hotel around midnight. At the front desk, I picked up our new keys - the keys to a palatial suite on the top floor! My God - even Mariah Carey would have been happy with these digs (yeah, she was at the hotel - there was a fleet of buses/coaches outside).

The remainder of our stay was wonderful. The town of Saratoga Springs is beyond description. Anyone who enjoys horseracing will be floored by the quality of racing here - every other track in the country pales in comparision. The location of The Saratoga is great. We walked to dinner every night. They even had great bands playing in the courtyard. I will have no problem going back to The Saratoga - as long as I reserve that specific suite.

Nice place, Terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member 9brady

My wife and I booked the Saratoga Hotel for our 140 out-of-town guests for our wedding weekend. We also used their meeting rooms for a Brunch on Sunday. As a former resident of Saratoga, I will say that the interior, mainly the sleeping rooms, has been upgraded. However, following the path of their predecessor, Prime Hotels, The Saratoga Hotel is poorly run.

Here are just a handful of the issues that we encountered:
1) There is nobody employed by the hotel to assist with luggage.
2) There is only one luggage cart for guests to use. This resulted in a long line of guests waiting to use the lone cart.
3) No one was allowed to check in until 3pm exactly. A huge crowd formed in the lobby before 3pm trying to check-in.
4) Once check-in was announced, there was no order at all.
5) Many workers stood behind the check-in desk watching the crowd. Only 2 workers checked guests in. This process was extremely long. .
6) Our room had rain coming in from the living room and bedroom. Our TV in the bedroom did not work. Maintanance told me that "its only rain" and that he could not fix it. We were never offered the opportunity to move rooms.
7) I called housecleaning at 8am on Saturday to ask for the room to be cleaned by 11am for the bridal party to use. The room was not cleaned.
8) We called housecleaing at 5pm to ask for the room to be cleaned upon our return from our wedding. The room was never cleaned.
9) Food and trash was left out in the hallways for days without being cleaned up. As a result, the hallways smelled.
10) I confirmed with the front desk on Sunday about our previously-arranged late check-out. I was told that our entire group must check out by 11am or we would each be charged for an additional stay.
11) I asked a number of times to speak to a manager or our sales rep. I was told by the front desk that someone would stop by our brunch to talk to us. No one from management every talked to us.
12) I have repeatedly called, emailed and written letters to this hotel and their corporate office for the past 5 weeks. To this date, I have yet to speak to management about any of our issues.

Simply put, the management of this hotel did not, and still does not, show an interest in handling complaints/issues. Although some of the structure has improved, the foundation which is its management, has not improved at all.

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member Helm777

I had read the reviews on Expedia and Trip Advisor so it wasn't like I was coming to this hotel forewarned.

However, I must say that things here are pretty much what some of the other reviewers have said.

1) Upon checkin, they had mishandled my reservation thru Expedia and cancelled it. If I had not had the forsight to bring my confirmation with me, I would have been out of luck.

2) The parking lot is as big and crowded as everyone says it is.

3) When we walked into our room, it wasn't clean. The toilet had residue on it, the dusting was poor, the mirrors were not wiped down, and the tables and night stand had rings on them where someone had set down a glass - no one had bothered to wipe it clean.

4) I was awoken repeatedly in the night by noise coming from other guests room - there is not enough sound proofing between the rooms. I sleep with ear plugs so you can imagine that the noise must have been pretty bad.

In summation, I would not come again and I would recommend this hotel to no one. If Mariah Carey wishes to stay here, she may do - I will not.

Comments