Shelter Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• chodearm profile photo chodearm
  • Reviews: 595

The Chequit Inn: Historic as a M.F.er

Perched atop the hill right when you depart the NorthFerry, The Chequit Inn bares its barrel-chested facade. Grandpa has been around since 1872, so his tastes are well developed. As i scoured the net for a place to lay our heads, my main priorety was 1.good food, relying heavily on Long Island product, and 2. a extensive wine list, shedding heavily on the Long Island selection. With a viewable menu on their website, they hooked and reeled me in. Our room was great, no television to distract my peace, a outside porch with two sunning lounges, full bathroom, and a great paint job. I painted houses for years in the Hamptons so I do pay close attention to the application of their paint. I noticed there was no paint tape used, just a fine cut where ceiling meets wall. Origional detailing outlined all doors and windows also painted professionally. A paintjob can shed light on the care that a place puts into itself. There is a large restaurant on premises with outside dining. Even if you do not stay, try the food here, it's excellent.

Coming soon...

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Wine Tasting, Food and Dining
  • Written May 31, 2005

over the grassy knoll

• chodearm profile photo chodearm
  • Reviews: 595

The Cheqit Inn 2

As night settled around us we actually kicked it back in the room. This is a rare occassion, we usually only use a hotel room for the pure reason as a home base. The rooms were so inviting that par-laying there was actually like doing something. Tapping the case of bottles from the North Fork wineries we faded the night into the next day, seamlessly.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Wine Tasting, Food and Dining, Road Trip
  • Written June 15, 2005
Tip Photo

from porch to front door, lands offerings in hand

• mms722 profile photo mms722
  • Reviews: 1

Beech Tree House: Shelter Island's Best Lodging Secret

There are a multitude of quaint hotels and bed and breakfasts' on Shelter Island, however, we found a true gem.

We rented the absolute charming upper half of the Beech Tree House. Our floor featured three bedrooms, all with beds big enough to fit two per room, a large bathroom, a small sitting area, a living room and a full kitchen. Perfect for a weekend out of the city with a group of friends. Note: The bottom half of the house is a one bedroom with a living room.

The property was beautiful, featuring a large lawn surrounding the house and a multitude of outdoor seating options, for complete relaxation.

I would highly recommend The Beech Tree House to anyone heading to Shelter Island, and may in fact be back again this fall with the same group I went with originally. We had such a lovely time and it was nice to have the comforts of home while away.

Divided by 6 (the maximum guests due to beds), the cost for a full weekend was under $60 a person. A FANTASTIC deal and well worth much more than that. Plus, the owner of the Beech Tree House (and Azalea Bed & Breakfast - a separate option) is also the owner of the Shelter Island cab company, making transportation a breeze!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average