1060 Eats Genesee Street, Syracuse, New York, 13210, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Elegance isn't everything ...

The Genesee Grande Hotel is the recent result of the renovation of an old motel property combined with the older Mayflower apartment building. The renovation is very elegant in a sort of an Indian/British Empire kind of way, but the rooms lack design elements that would provide for comfort and functionality. The staff tried hard -- we were upgraded to a suite in the Mayflower building -- but also needs some training in how to respond to guest requests in a classy manner. Overall -- it's back to The Craftsman Inn for us!

More about The Genesee Grande Hotel

The Genesee Grande Hotel...a grand place to stay!

My husband and I are from Syracuse and wanted to have a little get away. We stayed at the Genesee Grande Hotel and it felt like we truely were away. It has the New York City flare with it's beautiful lobby, restuarant and lounge. The suite was decorated impeccably and quite comfortable, and the marbel bath was immaculate. We had the most delicious dinner! I had the scallops and my husband had the lamb. We started with the caesar salad, the most wonderful shrimp, and the most delicious portobello mushroom appetizer. Every time we dine at the Genesee Grande the meal is better than the last! The staff are all wonderful and make you feel like a king and queen! I highly recommend the Genesee Grande Hotel!

A pioneer on East Genesee St.

by shrimp56 about Phoebe's Restaurant

In Phoebe's early days it was a bit of a frontier adventure to visit. But now that the University has spilled down the hill and Syracuse Stage has taken off and The Genesee Grande Hotel replaces the tired motel up the street, Phoebe's is ready to rock and roll!
The menu is not a long one, but the cuisine is delicious and well-prepared!

Excellent food in an elegant setting

by shrimp56 about 1060 Restaurant at Genesee Grande Hotel

There are three parts to this restaurant. The Bistro, which is in the soaring lobby, the Lounge [the bar with wide screen TV] and the smaller Tuscan room. All are very attractive. The menu is classic American with options from under $10 to over $20. The dinner options are excellent, but I'm a sucker for the perfectly toasted NY bagel with salmon and the usual "sides" of capers and red onions. Along with the excellent orange juice this was a superb breakfast!

Genesee Grande -- above and beyond expectations!

I work at a company in Syracuse and we often have out of town visitors and salespeople. Many of them are from all over the world.
I always put them up @ the Genesee Grande Hotel. I cannot begin to express how happy they have been staying there. They mostly stay in the suites and find them to be very accomodating for their needs. They also make use of the hotel's restaurants and are very happy w/the quality of the food and service they receive.

I have also stayed @ the hotel myself and find it to be very elegant. There is such a nice atmosphere throughout the facility. The lobby, dining area and rooms are furnished in a superb manner.

We also had our son's wedding reception there a year ago. I was more than pleased-- the food was out of this world, the furnishings were beautiful and we were treated in a very special way! Many, many of our guests complimented us on our choice and told me they intend to return there for dinner.

I also know that the owner and his wife are almost always on the premises making sure that everything is attended to -- down to the smallest details. I found the staff to be very professional, yet very friendly and courteous.

Great place and I can't wait to go back!!

Very Grande

by TripAdvisor Member CeeGee

Just got back from spending the night at this lovely hotel in Syracuse. Immaculate rooms, marble bath with herbal soaps, etc. Nice continental breakfast room and beautiful koi pond in the lobby. I was there visiting the University with my daughter. This is an especailly good location if you want to be near the Drama School and Theatre Complex. A good place for parents on visiting weekend.

Beautiful Hotel

Stayed at the Genessee on Valentine's Day with a special someone. The Hotel is visually beautiful. It's very fancy and for a little over a hundred you can't go wrong. The food at the restaurant was honestly the best i''ve had in as long as i could remember. I had the scallops and she had the filet, and we both were amazed by how good it was, not too mention the presentation of the food. The prices weren't cheap, ($22 and $24 respectively) but the food was so good, it was definately worth it. The hotel room was spotless. The room was not big, but it was big enough for us, and we also got the cheapest room (the superior). The bed was beautiful, it had a fancy headboard and fancy linens. It was the most comfortable bed i've ever slept on. The bathroom was really nice, and spotless. All in all, the hotel is beautiful, the food is great, the rooms are very nice and clean, and the staff is superfriendly. My one complaint, was that we ordered breakfast, through room service. The food was really good, but we were charged $40 for 2 omelletes and 2 large orange juices. The omelletes were $9 (even though it said $8 on the menu) and then they charged us $2 each to get peppers and tomatoes. So my girlfreinds omelette ended up being at $13 omellete and mine was $11. That was the only downfall. I highly recommend this hotel.

Not so Grand

by TripAdvisor Member PVTraveller

Stayed here for one night last weekend. I would say the service at this hotel is truly second rate. We had a special rate on the Jacuzzi Suite which normally goes for over $350/night. Checked in, headed to suite, but no Jacuzzi! Phone front desk, they told us we were in the Sunroom Suite and had no more Jacuzzi's left. We had a guaranteed booking on paper, but no apologies were given, never mind not being told of the change when we checked in. Their excuse was that one guest had decided to stay on in the Jacuzzi suite. Other friends we were with were all bumped from the Jacuzzi suites even though we all had confirmed and guaranteed bookings.

The Sunroom suite was very nice - enormous is the word, with large bedroom,separate living room and study. However, little extras were missing that you would expect for this price - bathrobes, full length dressing mirror, large bathtowels, minibar etc. Bed was very comfy.

We found out through other guests that breakfast was included in a separate "concierge suite" room on the 6th floor, nothing was explained to us at check in, nor was there any information in the room. We head to breakfast the next morning, around 9:00 - nothing was left except for 1 yogurt, juices and coffee. Other guests had called down to the front desk and after a while, some muffins and danishes showed up. There was no fruit, no more yogurts and no cutlery or napkins. Somebody found cereal hidden away in a cupboard! If they're serving breakfast in a specific timeperiod every day, the least they could have is one staff on duty to take care of the breakfast! The person who did show up eventually with the pastries said he didn't normally work there!

So, if service improves and they add the little extras that are expected if you're paying over $300/night, it will be a grand place, but for now it has a long way to go.

For a small city ... it's pretty Grande

by TripAdvisor Member saphireinto

I just came back after staying a night at the Genessee Grande and was overall impressed with the hotel The hotel was very welcoming and comfortable while being updated and classy. The pace a bit slower here than most major cities, but it adds to the charm.

My room was small but comfortable, very clean and cozy.

My only complaint was the internet connection ... there was no internet cable in the room ... when I called down to the front desk, I was told guests need to bring their own (not in most hotels I've stayed in) ... they did tell me that they had an extra one they can lend me, but I would have to come and get it ... so out of my pajamas ... and to the front desk I went ... not very good service if you ask me. Once I had the cable and back in my PJ's ... I was not able to get a good connection, it kept freezing on me. I ended up giving up.

The service in the dining room where I had breakfast was very good ... the service at the front desk left alot to be desired.

Comments