49 East Sunnyside Lane, Tarrytown, New York, 10591, United States

Tarrytown House Estate & Conference Center
Travelocity Expedia.com Hotel Website

• Turned away at the door, with a reservation!

Right after hurricane Irene my wife booked a room for us here to escape our power outage for a night. The plan was to meet at the hotel after work. I got to the hotel first, my wife wasn't going to be there for an hour or two since she works in the city. When I got to the front desk the "gentleman" behind the desk informed me I could not check in, only my wife could, in person. I had a credit card, ID, and even offered to call her on the spot so she could give any info they would need so I could check in. Absolutely not was the response I got, no offer to even wait in the restaurant, nothing. Basically I was told you can't check in, screw you. My wife then called the hotel desk as I was standing outside to ask if she could give whatever info she could to fix the situation but again the answer was no. The fact that the hotel would not even pick up the phone and make one phone call or make any attempt to facilitate me checking speaks volumes about the level of service at this hotel. The whole thing could have been settled by one phone call but instead I was turned away at the door, with a reservation.

We stayed at the Sheraton in Tarrytown that night and had a great night. I called the next day and spoke with the general manger of the Tarrytown House. He got back to me and defended the manor in which I was treated and the way his employee handled the situation. His excuse was that we booked through hotels.com but again, with one phone call to hotels.com by the robot at the front desk this all could have been sorted out.

So, if you or your company would like to stay here, you better hope everything is in order, because if it's not, don't expect the Tarrytown House to lift a finger to help you.

More about Tarrytown House Estate And Conference Center

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE do not have an event at Tarrytown House

by TripAdvisor Member burbankgirl

My company held its annual meeting at the Tarrytown House Estate in May 2007 -everything from beginning to end was just HORRIBLE. starting with the rudest and most inept catering managers. Agreements about hours, food and beverage service were not as promised. The slamming doors someone else mentioned was another big problem -not from us but from families with unsupervised children who were staying at the property for a wedding. the facility is dated and looks awful. 40 yr old carpet, chipped paint, outdated bathroom facilities, the paths that wind the property are awfully cracked and broken up and i don't know how any bride or female guests could walk the property in heels without breaking a limb. the phone charges start at $6.00per minute. ugly popcorn ceilings. Food was not good, very limitedm room service hours, concierge was not accomodating in providing alternatives for food delivery. I could go on and on and on. SAVE YOUR MONEY, SAVE YOUR HEADACHES, SAVE YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THE TARRYTOWN HOUSE.

Incredible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member waltstrasser

Wow, what a beautiful hotel in an incredible location. It was our first time in Tarrytown. Upon arrival to the property you feel like you are arriving at an exclusive resort property. Actually my wife commented that it looked and felt like the White House!

The lobby and staff were very friendly and accomodating and the check in process was quick and professional. The room was absolutely gorgeous! We were nesteled away in the back section of the hotel which was very quiet. The room was newly renovated and very well equipped with all the latest amenities. Everything was first class!

The restaurant was excellent and the service impeccible. We found all the staff members we came into contact with were very polite and courteous always with a greeting. We met the General Manager in the dining room (Joe Santore) who told us some of the history of the property and took some extra time to ensure our stay was comfortable and that we were happy.

Funny enough, we usually stay downtown Manhattan as we travel to New York frequently on business, but decided to try Tarrytown House for a change of scenery. What a nice surprise! Only a 35 minute train ride from Grand Central makes this hotel a top choice to stay when in New York.

Thanks again Joe and Tarrytown House for an excellent and most enjoyable stay.

Will & Grace Strasser

Horrible, Terrible, Awful!!

by TripAdvisor Member BethA114

We were unable to book a block of rooms at the Crowne Plaza, White Plains for our hotel guests, so we chose to go with the Tarrytown House Estate. It seemed to be perfect for our needs - a lovely estate setting, facilities for a group brunch the following morning and extensive experience hosting events. My experience with this hotel, however, has lead me to wonder how they stay in business. The first "bump" occured in working with their special events manager, who failed to mail out the contract when promised. When she finally sent us an information package, it contained information pertaining to another party! We got this smoothed out and eventually signed the contract, which permitted guests to book rooms at the negotiated rate right up until the evening of the wedding. However, when guests tried to book rooms approximately two to three weeks before the wedding, they were told the contract had expired. After several frustrating conversations with some very rude receptionists, I was told that their standard practice was to release the rooms one month before the event, rather than holding them until the evening of the event. After I explained that I had a written contract and, as an attorney, intended to hold them to the agreed upon terms, they eventually agreed to let guests continue to book until the evening of the wedding. However, this information was not provided to the booking office and our guests continued to experience significant difficulty in securing rooms. As a result, several guests decided against booking rooms and, instead of staying at the hotel and using the shuttle bus which we had paid for in advance, decided to simply drive themselves to/from the wedding and their homes. To make matters worse, when my bridesmaids and I checked in to the hotel the evening prior to the wedding, the manager came out and said that he knew we had "gotten the merry-go-round treatment," but then walked away without offering even an attempt at an apology. The following evening, after the wedding and reception, my husband and I checked into our room which we had booked for the weekend. The layout of this hotel is not particularly friendly to those with difficulty getting around and several of the wings are not serviced by elevators. When we checked in, we requested that we be placed in a room which would be easy for my husband, who had a broken leg, to reach by elevator. The receptionist on duty refused this simple request, even though the hotel was clearly quite empty, and placed us in a room which actually required my husband to limp down three narrow flights of stairs on his wedding night. When we mentioned this the following morning, we again received no apology. As a result of this poor service, we decided that we'd rather spend our first weekend together as a married couple at home, where we weren't treated rudely and my husband didn't have to limp down/crawl up several flights of stairs, and checked out early. What was supposed to be one of the most memorable nights of our lives will be remembered fondly for the wonderful reception we had at The Travelers Rest in Millwood, but will be forever marred by the rudeness and contempt with which were treated at The Tarrytown House Estate.

Thanksgiving Weekend Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member LindaENJ

Spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Estate. After arriving slightly early (3pm) for a 4pm check-in, the reception staff made casual inquiries on our room availability. We were relegated to the reception couch until almost 4pm. The room was not equipped with the proper number of towel sets, and did not have coffee supplies available. On two of four trips to the pool, couples (different each time) openly engaged in sexual activities in the hot tub. At one point the housekeeping attendant appeared to caution the couple to no avail. Not an appropriate scene for my six year old daughter. Horrible room service menu; no restaurants open on the site other than the breakfast. Would not return to this property.

A Hidden Treasure Off the Beaten Path

by TripAdvisor Member Sharon3

I recently just returned from my luxurious retreat in Tarrytown. My husband and I traveled up North to visit family for my husband and my first holiday together. We turned Thanksgiving into an extended weekend and made our excersion into a mini vacation. We researched the surrounding hotels, and with the input of our family this Estate was the most natural choice. When we arrived I was astounded, the pictures had merely done it justice. Upon arriving and checking in, I explained to the staff that this was my first time in New York State and how the grounds were a wonderment to me, being a Miami native. As a result, the staff made it their absolute priority to ensure my memorable stay; they upgraded my accomodations to the King's Mansion. The first day there I had trouble acquanting myself with the grounds, but by the end of the day I had gotten the hang of it. What made our stay especially nice was the staff, they were genuinely very warm and friendly. The only complaint I would have is that breakfast ended a bit to early, for this late riser. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling that way or wanting to get away for a weekend. We are planning a trip after Christmas to see the grounds when there is snowfall.

Great lil escape, beautiful property...

by TripAdvisor Member Crumz32

Travelzoo was running a promo for one night's lodging (good on weekends) and an elaborate breakfast for the low rate of 109 per night. My girlfriend and my self along with another couple hopped on and boy were we happy.

The property sits on about 26 acres and it features awesome views of the hudson river and tappan zee bridge. It's really spread out so you don't quite know what building you'll be put in until you check in. We were in the Fairfield Attrium and I loved it because it was so close to the Sleepy Hollow Bar and the breakfast room, which is very nice by the way.

Our rooms were clean, modern and the beds were the softest thing I had ever slept in, literally. We had veiws of the river as well. The place is technically a conference center so there was an area right outside our rooms w/ free internet and phones/fax.

The pub features free pool and bowling! One negative, drinks were pricey at 7.00 for beers and 12 for Martini's.

There are two pools (indoor and outdoor) tennis courts, gym, basketball courts but we really didn't take advantage of them.

You must, must, must drive or take a cab and explore downtown Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. It's a 5 minute cab ride (8 dollars) and there are cool bars, restaurants and shops. We must have hit 5 different bars that evening! Try karaoke at the town tavern in Sleepy Hollow!

If you are looking for a quick nyc escape or just coming to explore the historic hudson valley, this is certainly where you want to stay.

What a Disappointing Birthday Surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member Calabrisella5

I decided to surprise my boyfriend for his birthday, so when I found a "bed and breakfast" deal on Travelzoo.com for this hotel, it sounded as if it would great! I was wrong!

Negatives:
#1 - While asking questions during booking, the staff was unable to tell me about the amenities that were offered. It turned out that they didn't offer any evening dining options! Therefore, I decided to take my boyfriend to a close by (or so we thought) restaurant, Equus (definitely reccomend it).

#2 - Before arriving to the hotel, I received directions from two different websites and they led us to a Sunnyside Road, not Lane, in Tarrytown! Once we were lost, we contacted 411 for the hotel's contact information and they were unable to find the hotel. After several attempts, they were able to find it listed under a slightly different name and they informed us it was located in the town of IRVINGTON and NOT Tarrytown! We wasted over an hour trying to locate the hotel!

#3 - Though the ambiance of the stateroom was very pleasant, we were unable to get a good night's sleep due to a sound we heard the entire night. It sounded as if there was a an ice machine in our room. We were unsure what the noise was attributed to. Also, the showerhead made a high pitched squealing noise, the entire time it was on. We were very disappointed!

Positives:
#1 - The wait staff during the buffet breakfast was very warm and helpful.

#2 - Also, the hotel's grounds and scenery of the Hudson River were very beautiful. If the service at this hotel were to improve, I might consider returning, for the scenery alone!

Adequate Facilities in Beautiful Setting

by TripAdvisor Member mike-lcf

I stayed at the Tarrytown resort during the first week of March 2007 for a conference. Overall, it is about what one would expect from an average business conference center. I have no major complaints. If you are coming from JFK, it is about 45 minutes by car. The area is beautiful. For dinner, I recommend the Blue Hill restaurant at Stone Barn, about a 15 minute drive from the resort.

Positives:

1. The breakfast buffet in the Biddle House has excellent and helpful service, and the food was pretty good. The Biddle House itself is a stately 1890's ish building with a great view. The dining room areas have a nice ambience.

2. Free, non-password protected Wi Fi, with a good strong signal, in the rooms.

3. The room was generally decent and was clean. I was in the Fairfield building.

Negatives:

1. The late-night receptionist staff is not outright hostile, but certainly makes you feel like she is doing you a favor when you check in.

2. I ordered breakfast room service the first morning. It was lukewarm eggs and bacon under a tightly stretched piece of plastic wrap over the entire plate, sort of like when you pick up a sandwich from a convenience store. It took me about 2 minutes to loosen and remove the saran wrap. They provided toast but no butter or jelly.

3. Not enough bath towels in the bathroom.

4. The heater in the guest rooms are very loud and can jar you awake in the middle of the night when they turn on.

St. Patty's Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member Aggie34

My couisins had a St. Patty's Day wedding at this exquisite castle.

We travelled from southern NJ through a snow and ice storm and it took quite awhile.

My husband and I are both up in years and this estate is very spread out with no elevators.

That aside it is a first rate resort. People, service and accomodations were excellent.

Very clean and elegant. Although we have travelled all over the world, we never knew this estate was so close to New York City.

Food at reception and wedding was very high class and the free breakfast was very tasty.

Slamming doors ruined our experience

by TripAdvisor Member ChampagnePrincess

The good: Nice rooms, courteous staff, nice grounds, fun activities.

The bad: Slamming doors day and night. In order to lock your door, you must slam it shut - really hard. Of course, these are absolutely ridiculous to have in a hotel, but obviously someone in management thought they would be a good idea - wrong!!!. Therefore, it's impossible not to hear the banging. Luckily, we are avid travelers and had a white noise machine with us (air purifier), so it helped a little. However, it just got so bad on Saturday night, due to a big event , that we even turned on the airconditioner, just for the noise, even though it was 40 degrees outside. The family above us strolled in around 3:00 AM and sounded like elephants. Stay on a top floor only!

Also, they obviously frown on people drinking in their rooms. The ice makers are shut off (unplugged) so, unless you bring your own cooler filled with ice you're out of luck. Also, the small refrigerators can only get cool - not cold. Therefore that cold beer you were looking forward to after a busy day, is now cool . I guess they prefer you drink in the pub with it's exorbitant prices. It's just highway robbery what they charge in there. Will not go back.

Comments