200 Genesee Street, Utica, New York, 13501, United States

Bleeker St.Bleeker St.

Downtown SteakhouseDowntown Steakhouse

UticaUtica

Slocum Dickson ClinicSlocum Dickson Clinic

What is the best way to visit Utica

Hi there
I would like to visit Utica in April but I have no idea what is the best way to go there. I will probably leave from Heathrow. Can you tell me which is the nearest Airport and what is the quickest connection to get there?
I will also like to know how far the airport is from Utica.
Thanks

by zuriga

Are you asking about Utica, NY in the States?

by travelmad478

Utica is quite a hike from any international airport that has flights from Heathrow. The closest major airport--and I use the term "major" loosely--is Syracuse's Hancock International (http://www.syrairport.org/). You will need to get yourself from one of the big transatlantic airports first and then connect to Syracuse. There are nonstop flights to Syracuse from Philadelphia, for example--you can fly direct from LHR to PHL on British Airways. From Syracuse, you can take a bus or the Amtrak train to Utica--it's about an hour's trip. This will be a pretty tiring journey all around, I'm afraid. You will have to take quite a few modes of transportation.

by dnwitte

I'm just curious why anyone would want to go to Utica. (I'm allowed to say that because I'm originally from the general vicinity.)

by zuriga

Isn't there also a Utica in Greece? I wish this person would let us know which one. What a difference? :-)

by travelmad478

June, you can tell if you click on the word "Utica" and then see which page you get taken to (it is NY). This is one of "New VT"'s few failings, in my opinion...it was clearer under the old system.

BTW, I checked Amtrak too--it is more than five hours from Penn Station to Utica, plus you have to change trains in Albany. Given the fact that getting from JFK to Penn is no picnic either, I thought that the connecting flight might be a better option. Depends on price sensitivity, I guess.

by zuriga

Julie....I forgot that. :-) Silly me. You're right.. it was easier in the Old VT. I'd sure take a connecting flight. The train is nice but a real hassle from JFK. I'm wondering when they'll finally get their new train going. It's way behind schedule.

by travelmad478

The new train...I'm keeping my fingers crossed but preparing for a long, long wait. After the test driver was killed last year, things looked pretty bad. You'd think that if London can get something like this built then NY could too, but apparently not.

by Florentin

Thanks a lot. A bit dissappointing, but you were very helpful. I only be out there for 3 days so I am begining to wonder if it is worth all that trouble.

by Florentin

Is "visiting a very special person" a good reason to visit Utica?

I was refering to Utica, NY. Sorry for not making it clear

by dnwitte

That's an excellent reason (Says the person who's been in a long distance realtionship since 1993.)

by zuriga

Julie.. when I had my tour of JFK in October, the head honchos really thought the train would up and running as soon as the investigation was completed. I think a lot must be wrong to make for such a long delay. The train stations are really lovely inside...but would be better in use!!

by zuriga

I agree.. the best reason to travel, Florentin. Utica itself is not a garden spot, but if someone there is special.. go for it! From someone in a long distance relationship for 5 years!!

by Joanportia

Hello,

I live in Syracuse, NY. Maybe your special someone can pick you up at Hancock Airport and then drive you to Utica. It is only about an hour drive. What a small world!!! Good thing that you are coming in April, hopefully all this snow we keep getting will be gone. But, it has snowed in April before. Any other questions feel free to ask

Joanportia

by Florentin

Thank you very much for the tip J. I have another question. Do you think three days are worth all the trouble? I will probably have a week off end of April - beginning of May. I will be in London but I can spare 3-4 days to go to Utica. What do you think?

RE: RE: What is the best way to visit Utica

by rdywenur

I lived in Utica growing up and then some. The best way to go is to fly from JFK to Syracuse and have your friend pick you up at the airport. There is not much to do there but the people are very nice and they have the best Italian food there and the best canoli's at the Florentine Bakery. I haven't been there in a while but visit the CNYforum.org. There are some recent fotos there of the city you can check out to get a feel for the area. Right now we got hit with much snow so April will be much better for you. You can't do much in 3 or 4 days but there is some nice areas to visit near by...Old Forge, Cooperstown, Clinton.

Travel Tips for Utica

Italian pastries

by rdywenur

Florentine Pastry Shop For some of the best Italian pastries to die for. I have yet to find a canoli that surpases the Florentine's. This is definetly a must see and do event . Another favorite is a "pustie" filled with either vanilla or chocolate creme and an expresso.

My Dad's Hometown

by swpesto

"My Dad"

My father, John Lawrence Pesto, grew up in Utica, NY. I have not been there yet but I intend to visit it with him in the near future. I will add photos that he has of Utica and other neat stuff. Also, of interest, my father's mother is a friend of the famous Mickey Mouse Club and movie/singer star of the 50s/60s, Annette Funicello. Yes, Annette Funicello, once lived in Utica. My dad got a chance to meet her once when she and her mom came up from LA to visit my grandmother.

Comments