SUNSET ON SENECA B N B

3221 St Rt 414, Watkins Glen, NY, 14818

More about Watkins Glen

Glenora Wine CellarsGlenora Wine Cellars

The nearby ticket office for cruisesThe nearby ticket office for cruises

North Decatur StNorth Decatur St

The Sentry BridgeThe Sentry Bridge

Travel Tips for Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen Tip

by John195123

Camping with my uncles and walking around with them. What a wild night. They got all liquored up and partied all night while we young boys tried to sleep. It was great. We only got the cops called on us once. They stopped by the next morning. We left after that, leaving my uncles to do more and harder partying at the KOA.

Moosewood Restaurant

by Suzanne123

Nearby in Ithica New York is the famous Moosewood restaurant. Now I can't say that I have been impressed because the two times that I have been there they had long line ups, fish as a menu choice of four options, and peas and pasta as a second choice. Save your dollar and time by eating at the Ithica Commons. There is nice shopping at a courtyard. There are other restuarants that are vegetarian/vegan. In fact the whole town is mostly fast food/chain free!!!! They have a bartner network of Ithica dollars in the city. There are public buses that carry your bicycle. Cornell University is great with so many events. Be sure to visit the horticultural ground on the property. Take in a free concert and enjoy the spectacular city. A very kewl town indeed. Very Liberal.

Watkins Glen

by M0B1US

"Highlights (i.e. best things to do)"

I have had so many people hassling me about this page since I posted the pictures way back that it is finally time I fleshed the page out! ;-)

Watkins Glen is one of those amazing discoveries that one finds quite by accident without the help of any guidebooks...

Basically I stumbled upon the notion of this place (and the finger lakes) as part of my USA route planning on the internet. The best thing about it was that it was roughly on the route from New York to Niagara and so would be a perfect stopping off point along the way...

The Glen is a narrow steep sided gorge which within two miles descends 400 feet past 200-foot cliffs and has a grand total of 19 waterfalls along this relatively short course.

We ended up at Watkins Glen on our trip from Batavia, NY to Hershey, PA, on our way back into the US from Niagara and Canada. Unfortunately we hadn't checked ahead to see if the state park was open and found it closed for winter.

We were still able to view much of the park from both parking areas at the top and the foot of the park, but as you can see from the pictures it was very cold so we didn't hang around for too long - especially when taking pictures meant taking my gloves off!

All this exploring in the cold made us very hungry, so it was fortuitous that as the Finger Lakes area is a popular wine growing region with plenty of wineries in the area lining the nearby Seneca Lake...

"Quick tips/suggestions"

Apart from the wonderful state park and visiting the numerous wineries, I noticed that there is the Glenn H. Curtiss motor museum at nearby Hammondsport, and the famous Museum of Glass in Corning.

There are also cruises on Seneca lake as well as a number of forest trails and natural attractions.

This is a great place to come for a short stay, and I should imagine that it is a truly beautiful place during the summer months - I for one have every intention of coming by this way again!

"Best Way to Get Around"

In this area the only reliable way to get around is by car, though there is a Greyhound bus route into Watkins Glen and from there it is an easy walk to the foot of the state park.

For a guided wine tour again you would not need your own transport - in fact it would be inadvisable considering all the tastings you would be doing... ;-)

There are plenty of beautiful driving routes in the area, including the possibility of doing a picturesque loop of Seneca Lake.

Comments